Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85, timing and egt data

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E85, timing and egt data

Some interesting data over the past week. My initial outing to the track showed a cold cylinder. Investigating the problem from coil packs/wires/plugs, to even making sure I didn't have a collapsed lifter, I found the problem to be a bad crimp on an injector plug. I'm running two 1000cc injectors per cylinder, the data showed this cylinder to be about 500* low across the idle and boost range

So I fixed the problem, and monitoring egt data I noticed a range from 900* at idle to some being in the low 800 range. Being able to trim by cylinder I had to add fuel to get the temp to come up.

Thinking this was a little strange, I talked to a friend and we concluded it might be retarded timing. So I took the car out for some other data and came back and did a test. Idling at 1050* in the 14.0 afr range, I was running 22* timing. For giggles, I went to 30* idle timing, and egt came down to around 975*, going to 34* idle timing brought egt down to 950*

Idle control was still solid, but the idle motor is almost shut now, I can close the blade to get it back up bit, but just thought this was interesting data and the amount of timing e85 might need to not be retarded

Question here is, if it took more fuel at idle to raise egt, but with low timing, I have some egt differences of about 100* under boost. Should I try adding or pulling fuel to that cylinder?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

That's got to be a gaggle of wires. But it clearly paid off for finding the bad injector plug.

What sort of temps do you see going down the track?
Old 04-22-2017, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Last year in the 1/4 mile I saw 1500* on e60 with 80* air temps

So far this year in the 1/8 mile I'm seeing 1350* on e70 with 150* air temps. I'm working my way to e85 with in the next race and doing a meth kit to help with iat's because no more intercooler

Looking at the data, egt's were about 1300 at the 1/8th in my full 1/4 mile pass

On a side note, I might mid summer pickup some of them 210 Bosch injectors, another 4303 and run methanol. I need a little over 3000cc's of fuel to make my current power

And wiring isn't to bad. The egt wires tuck nicely straight back into the firewall and diy sells a slick egt box that canbus' to my ecu
Old 04-22-2017, 04:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I Guess there is a temp that's too hot. 1350 seems to be the number.
we have had a couple of cars on the dyno with a single egt sensor. Just for info more than anything.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

I'm sure i can get temps down. I'll be running a little fatter this year from no intercooler, but this could be an indication I'm a few degrees low on timing? Aaron From English found timing on an LSA about 5* more than what I'm running at the same boost pressure

Quick Reply: E85, timing and egt data