PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still can't get oil pressure reading

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't say with absolute certainty, but I would say, more than likely. My 411 PCM that is logging oil pressure is from a 2002 F Body so....
Old 12-02-2020, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviving an old thread, but was curious as well. I have an 02 LQ9 and would like to have the oil pressure on HP Tuners but also available on my OBD2 stream. So, I understand adding the wires/pins to the PCM harness and getting the correct sensor, but when you are logging Oil Pressure in HP Tuners, did it “know” it was oil pressure, or did you create a custom readout? In other words, is the computer recognizing it as oil pressure and thus it likely available on the serial OBD2 line?

I have custom gauges that use the OBD2 through the computer, and it’d be great if oil pressure was on the stream to avoid running its own sensor to the gauges.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Just add oil pressure in the channel list.
HP Tuners scanner uses the OBD2 data stream. So no reason your gauge thing shouldn’t pick it up.
You will just have to try it
Old 12-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Just add oil pressure in the channel list.
HP Tuners scanner uses the OBD2 data stream. So no reason your gauge thing shouldn’t pick it up.
You will just have to try it
Unless it’s not in my data stream since it wasn’t there from the factory... Agree, I’ll just have to try it, but it’s kinda an experiment I’d rather not do for nothing (buy a sensor, wire it into PCM, etc. only to end up using the different style Dakota digital sensor that came with the gauges. But you’re right, I’ll just have to try. Was hoping someone with an early truck 411 PCM might have tried this already.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:18 PM
8 Second Club

Ok, what happens now if you try to select it? Does it show up? Or not. If it does, I would assume it reads 0.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Ok, what happens now if you try to select it? Does it show up? Or not. If it does, I would assume it reads 0.
I’m not even close to that point right now. Building my engine and harness currently, so I’m just trying to prepare. I’m wondering if I need to add oil pressure in the tune itself in system settings...
Old 12-05-2020, 11:48 AM
8 Second Club

Got ya.
i went and looked at my current tune vs the orig read (99 Camaro OS) and I did indeed activate Oil Pressure in the System table.

Been a long time since I did this.

Ron
Old 12-05-2020, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Got ya.
i went and looked at my current tune vs the orig read (99 Camaro OS) and I did indeed activate Oil Pressure in the System table.

Been a long time since I did this.

Ron
I know you said it had been a while, but do you recall if that was needed to get it to work? Like maybe it didn’t work pinning it alone, but flipping that switch and it did? I’m just wondering if that’s a feature hp tuners added later in system settings, and thus the old posts saying that the re-pinning didn’t work for some people.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:49 PM
8 Second Club

I’ll throw a spare ecu on the bench and try to test it.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:27 PM
8 Second Club

So i tested this. Of course I dont have a sensor hooked up, but HPT shows Oil Pressure as supported for an F body on a stock tune file.
With or without enabling Oil Pressure in the System Tab.

This is all I can help with. It's worked in all the harnesses I've added it to. If HPT can read it, Id think your dash thing would too.

Good Luck
Old 12-05-2020, 04:31 PM
Launching!

So i tested this. Of course I dont have a sensor hooked up, but HPT shows Oil Pressure as supported for an F body on a stock tune file.
With or without enabling Oil Pressure in the System Tab.

This is all I can help with. It's worked in all the harnesses I've added it to. If HPT can read it, Id think your dash thing would too.

Good Luck
Thanks.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:37 PM
8 Second Club

I hope you report back.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by general23cmp
Unless it’s not in my data stream since it wasn’t there from the factory... Agree, I’ll just have to try it, but it’s kinda an experiment I’d rather not do for nothing (buy a sensor, wire it into PCM, etc. only to end up using the different style Dakota digital sensor that came with the gauges. But you’re right, I’ll just have to try. Was hoping someone with an early truck 411 PCM might have tried this already.
I suspect it will work because the truck PCM is the same as the Holden PCM's of that era and I am using one of those and oil pressure works for me in HP Tuners.

I also run RealDash with an OBD2 bluetooth adapter on the OBD2 port, mounted a 6" screen for extra gauges, and have oil pressure and water temp gauges on the screen running off the PCM data, works great.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lumen8
I suspect it will work because the truck PCM is the same as the Holden PCM's of that era and I am using one of those and oil pressure works for me in HP Tuners.

I also run RealDash with an OBD2 bluetooth adapter on the OBD2 port, mounted a 6" screen for extra gauges, and have oil pressure and water temp gauges on the screen running off the PCM data, works great.
I’m beginning to doubt this will work for a truck pcm. I looked at the corvette oil pressure pin assignments, and one of the three is used for something else on my truck pcm (specifically it’s a front oxygen sensor ground). On the F body cars, they are open.

Last edited by general23cmp; 12-27-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:24 AM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by general23cmp
I’m beginning to doubt this will work for a truck pcm. I looked at the corvette oil pressure pin assignments, and one of the three is used for something else on my truck pcm (specifically it’s a front oxygen sensor ground). On the F body cars, they are open.
I'll give you a link to the holden PCM pinouts so you can compare where the pins are on those.

https://phantombullet.net/files/Hold...M-Pinouts.html

Maybe you could 'write entire' and install a different operating system, like the holden or vette one. But id ask to make sure its a compatible OS to your PCM.

https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...menu_write.htm

I guess what I said earlier isnt necessarily the case because the PCM's can be the same, but the operating system can be different.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lumen8
I'll give you a link to the holden PCM pinouts so you can compare where the pins are on those.

https://phantombullet.net/files/Hold...M-Pinouts.html

Maybe you could 'write entire' and install a different operating system, like the holden or vette one. But id ask to make sure its a compatible OS to your PCM.

https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...menu_write.htm

I guess what I said earlier isnt necessarily the case because the PCM's can be the same, but the operating system can be different.
Thanks. Pin 63 Blue is where mine is different for oil pressure. That goes to my O2 sensors. I’m hesitant to write entire too as I don’t want to possibly mess up my drive by wire setup. The LQ9 uses a different pedal and TAC than the corvette one.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:08 PM
8 Second Club

Stock harness or aftermarket?
Old 12-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Stock harness or aftermarket?
Really either as I’m pulling unneeded pins from the factory one, but stock originally.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

I added this to another 0411 with a Camaro OS recently.
Aftermarket harness, and they used the oil pressure ground for O2 ground as well.

I spliced the oil pressure ground to the O2 sensor ground.

Worked fine. We are actually is to measure converter cooler line pressure.

GM changed O2 sensor grounding even pre P59. The earlier harness didn’t use that ground
The following users liked this post:
lumen8 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 08:17 PM
Launching!

I added this to another 0411 with a Camaro OS recently.
Aftermarket harness, and they used the oil pressure ground for O2 ground as well.

I spliced the oil pressure ground to the O2 sensor ground.

Worked fine. We are actually is to measure converter cooler line pressure.

GM changed O2 sensor grounding even pre P59. The earlier harness didn’t use that ground
Thanks. That’s promising. I’ll give it a shot, but am concerned that my truck’s OS won’t have it in the OBD2 stream.

Quick Reply: still can't get oil pressure reading