PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boosted 2011 5.3 Z71 cuts out when it gets into boost

Old 07-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boosted 2011 5.3 Z71 cuts out when it gets into boost

Put a BW S366 turbo on my 2011 silverado 1500 with a 5.3 and 6 speed. Has 2 Bar map, using stock MAF for IAT, engine is completely stock otherwise, 7lb spring in wastegate, and had KC Maxx put a SD tune on it with HP tuners. He tuned out the ethanol sensor because it was giving a false reading of 56% ethanol. He said it had a few hick ups on the dyno but most of the pulls he made were smooth. On the street it is not hardly driveable. It completely cuts out under acceleration about the time the boost starts to build. They didn't have any ideas what could be causing this. The Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control flashes all the time. I pulled the Abs fuses to disable those systems but it didn't change anything besides it wasn't flashing in the dash anymore. I don't have HP tuners, I have a predator so I can monitor. Any help is appreciated, need this truck run, will try about anything at this point.
Attached Thumbnails Boosted 2011 5.3 Z71 cuts out when it gets into boost-2011silverado.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1863.MOV (1.65 MB, 21 views)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

check for DTC's. there are countless DTC's that will cause the stabilitrac and trac lights to come on.

What spark plugs are using and what's the gap? Depending on what kind of dyno he has, it very well could have more load on it driving on the street than the dyno. That's why loaded dyno's are so great.

It could be a fueling issue or it might just be blowing the spark out but at only 7psi, if that's what you are actually getting.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerstucky
Put a BW S366 turbo on my 2011 silverado 1500 with a 5.3 and 6 speed. Has 2 Bar map, using stock MAF for IAT, engine is completely stock otherwise, 7lb spring in wastegate, and had KC Maxx put a SD tune on it with HP tuners. He tuned out the ethanol sensor because it was giving a false reading of 56% ethanol. He said it had a few hick ups on the dyno but most of the pulls he made were smooth. On the street it is not hardly driveable. It completely cuts out under acceleration about the time the boost starts to build. They didn't have any ideas what could be causing this. The Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control flashes all the time. I pulled the Abs fuses to disable those systems but it didn't change anything besides it wasn't flashing in the dash anymore. I don't have HP tuners, I have a predator so I can monitor. Any help is appreciated, need this truck run, will try about anything at this point.

If what I bolded is referring to your tuner then your only option is to find another tuner who is more experienced with turbos on late model E38 ECMs. A huge part of tuning is understanding what the scanner is showing you when there is a problem and if your tuner doesn't have any ideas then all you can do is find someone who does.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

^^^
" He said it had a few hick ups on the dyno but most of the pulls he made were smooth."
Bet he took your $, anyway, right?
Amazing. Holds himself out as a tuner, finds stuff wrong, takes your $, and waits for the next victim....
Instead of spending more $ w/ him, buy HPT, and learn to do it yourself.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DTCs are: P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit, P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Baro Sensor, P0121 Thottle Pedal position Sensor/ A Circuit, P1101 Mass Air Flow Sensor Out of Self Test Range.

Plugs are TR6s been gapped at .030 and also tried .035

The tuner is known to be one of the best around but I don't know how much experience he's had with E38 turbo tuning. Also with his reputation he has big $, big hp projects lined up out the door. He even said "i don't want to pay him to diagnose this problem", sucks for me but I understand his position. His shop is a 3 1/2 hr drive so that puts me over a barrel every time I go there.

I didn't want to invest the time or money in tuning it myself but I might have to yet.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerstucky
The tuner is known to be one of the best around but I don't know how much experience he's had with E38 turbo tuning. Also with his reputation he has big $, big hp projects lined up out the door.
Welcome to the aftermarket. Can't really be one of the best tooners around if he leaves the air mass rationality diagnostics unaltered on a boosted application...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boosted 2011 5.3 Z71 cuts out when it gets into boost