Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to see what my tuner changed... EFI Live vs HPtuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trying to see what my tuner changed... EFI Live vs HPtuner

I took my Trans am to my local tuner this morning for a Cam Only tune (street tune). My Previous tune was a Head/Cam tune (street tune), that he done earlier this year (but due to my CNC 799 heads droping a valve seat, I had to re-install my stock 853 heads.). He uses EFI Live. I have hptuners, well when I got back to my homestead. I plugged up my Hptuners, pulled the tune, did a compare, and can not find anything is being highlighted for a change.

So I paid $100 for this adjustment/tune, in which he stated he made a few adjustments. So are there tables on EFI Live that he could have adjusted in-which Hptuner will not show? Or did he give my car is good check. I admitted he spent some time in it. Spent about 10 minutes in the park lot and about 30 mins road testing it.

Just curious really. If he just check over everything, and it checked good. Or if some stuff in EFI Live doesnt convert over. But I would be disappointed to be told, he made adjustment and he really did not.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Buttons pushed $5 correct buttons pushed $100..
It sounds like about 1 hour of labor,, plus setup time + expertise..
He may have bracketed some settings to confirm all was well, then set them back to the standing tune that was there if they checked out.

But I am curious to se what folks say about reading EFI Live with HP tuners..
Old 08-07-2017, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

And I agreed. And nothing against that. Time is money.

But would like to see something..... I'm gonna hook my wideband to interface with hptuners again, and do some logging. That was my only real concern, was my AFRs. They seem to want to creep lean (13.2ish) on WOT vs before a pretty solid 12.5-12.7.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

It is my understanding that the two are not cross compatible. What you should do is pull the tune and save it before you take it in for adjustments. That will help you be able to see what he did by opening the compare file. There is no way of knowing what he changed without doing it this way......there are far to many parameters.....

Ask him if he saved the previous file before the head swap, he might be willing to share it with you. You can pull the re-tuned file now.....

T,
Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TomM
It is my understanding that the two are not cross compatible. What you should do is pull the tune and save it before you take it in for adjustments. That will help you be able to see what he did by opening the compare file. There is no way of knowing what he changed without doing it this way......there are far to many parameters.....

Ask him if he saved the previous file before the head swap, he might be willing to share it with you. You can pull the re-tuned file now.....

T,
I have the before and after tune.I did the compare an a compare log, nothing pops up. Guess it was good enough.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If nothing is showing different then they didnt change anything. There are very few tables different between the efi and hpt and going off the top of my hpt probably has more. I copies of alot of tunes I have done in both formats and have never seen a difference.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both tuning formats are not interchangeable, however you can compare a "before" vs an "after" tune to see the differences. Once flashed to the PCM the other software will see what tables were changed if you read the tune and compare it against the previous one.
There are a few tables available in one software and not the other but normally people change fueling, idle and spark for those changes so they are the same tables.
Only way to know 100% sure is downloading the binary and comparing in a hex editor.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

The data is stored in the ECM. If you read the ECM with HP Tuners and saved that file before he touched it, then you are all set for comparing the tunes.

Simply scan the ECM now in HP Tuners as any changes to the ECM have been made with EFI live, and are now stored on the ECM. Save the scan as a new file, then open up the original other tune. If nothing is highlighted in the comparison, then nothing was changed.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

RSB,

get your recent tuner to email you the EFILive tune file he flashed into your PCM...

the EFILive tunetool logs a history of what was changed, and saves it in the tune file (but of course, the history does not get flashed to the PCM).

Quick Reply: Trying to see what my tuner changed... EFI Live vs HPtuner