PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android/Elm327 Pcm Flash App (LS Droid Read only released)

Old 01-26-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see people stepping up to the plate on this one.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW - yes, the HP Tuners forum does have some good info on the general layout of the OS. It's interesting that some of the posts from back in the day (circa 1999-2000) are even from Paul at EFI Live. Scary how small the world is that we live in . Anyway, one of the posts that helped me was this one which tells you where to start looking for the main loops of the code.

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...nd-disassembly

There is even a disassembly floating around out there of a 2001 OS which is very helpful. Unfortunately, you really have to spend A LOT OF TIME with it to even start to figure out what is going on.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

I have been using a tool called IDA Pro to disassemble and figure out my Subaru ROM. It has some really nice features to annotate the code and follow references between functions, references to tables, etc. It is kind of expensive (about a grand) but I can't imagine doing this kind of stuff without it.

Thanks for that link, I'll see if I can find similar stuff in my code. At this point, every little bit helps.

I laughed out loud at this...

The main loops are long and do many things...
...because I have given a bunch of the functions in my Subaru names like DoManyThings_01 DoManyThings_02, and so on. Occasionally one gets promoted to something like DoManyThings_DriveByWire when I get a sense of what some of it is doing.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

This is still very much alive and a work in progress. A number of people such as NSFW have gotten involved and are each working on a different part of what's going to be needed in the end to get this completed. I have sorted out a couple of bootloaders that are now being "borrowed" for testing purposes and will serve as a guide to creating a unique bootloaders needed to make these pcm's flashable. Anything is still a long ways out at this point and as much as I would love to post some of the details of what's been accomplished it'd be a bit early since nothing is even remotely stable at this point. There is a commercial off the shelf product that will work but it's a couple hundred bucks and kind of defeats the whole opensource low cost idea here. ....So a low cost hardware solution is also being developed, it's not as convenient as an off the shelf product but it's going to MUCH cheaper then any thing currently avaible; it will be well documented with all the relevant information and posted on something like Github when it's finished.

I've got a VERY good feeling 2018 is going to be the year we see opensource flashing made possible for ALL LS1B's(99-07)
Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If you need any testers in the future, send me an email. Joefields1987@gmail.com
Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PeteS160
I've got a VERY good feeling 2018 is going to be the year we see opensource flashing made possible for ALL LS1B's(99-07)
Does this mean I'm SOL, as my Camaro SS is a 1998 with stock computer?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyZ28SS
you can convert to the ls1b pretty easily
Old 02-03-2018, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyZ28SS
If you have access to EFILive, you can program a 98 for free. It doesn't require a license.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Default Thanks, but...

Originally Posted by turbo_bu
If you have access to EFILive, you can program a 98 for free. It doesn't require a license.
I already have HP Tuners (Std) with unlimited license on the GM LS1 (1998 Camaro SS), interested in this thread as it looks like a goal of having a program upload/ read/log w/limited write capability on either a table or smart phone.
I use my home laptop for HPT tuning, etc.. and a Surface Pro for track use because of its small size. But would prefer a smart phone type app which can handle loading "tunes", and be able to change between them at the Drag Strip.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The snowball effect is real. The last couple of months I haven't done a whole lot with this.....and the reason was I was working on something even better then an Android based flashing solution. You can find all the details on that here https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...you-think.html

But tonight I decided to see if the Arduino work I have been doing was going to be able to help the work I had been doing with Android.

Well boyz.......it's no longer just an idea that looks good on paper.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Wow!

Amazing work!

Thanks for doing it!

-Kyle
Old 02-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Jeez, why do some people feel that if they won't use the new idea/product, that they need to belittle it? Even if something seems so trivial. Here's a scenario:
I have a friend in NY who converted his Gen2 383 LT1 to 24x (that's using the 0411 PCM to fire coil per plug). For emissions testing, the VIN in the PCM must match the vehicle.
If you don't know - it's impossible to use HPTuners to tune the 0411 PCM with a mismatched VIN and OS. As it is now, he takes out the PCM for a custom hex editing for every test. (He doesn't know how to edit in hex - and how many guys do?)

If Pete can successfully release a stable build even with something so simple as only changing the VIN - wow, that'll be big to my NY friend. He can then use HPTuners to continue tuning the drivetrain and simply switch the VIN when emissions testing is due with Pete's app. Then switch the VIN back to continue tuning with HPTuners.
I can see this being widespread to lots of other vehicles that were LS-swapped (like GMT-400, Jeeps, Mustangs, etc).

Pete - great work. I see you have a breakthrough with the opensource flashing = awesome. And if you have time, this app could be more helpful to people than some think!
To the foul mouths, Point: if you don't think something new will work with your build/business/etc - don't assume it won't work for others.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chas91Z28
Jeez, why do some people feel that if they won't use the new idea/product, that they need to belittle it? Even if something seems so trivial. Here's a scenario:
I have a friend in NY who converted his Gen2 383 LT1 to 24x (that's using the 0411 PCM to fire coil per plug). For emissions testing, the VIN in the PCM must match the vehicle.
If you don't know - it's impossible to use HPTuners to tune the 0411 PCM with a mismatched VIN and OS. As it is now, he takes out the PCM for a custom hex editing for every test. (He doesn't know how to edit in hex - and how many guys do?)

If Pete can successfully release a stable build even with something so simple as only changing the VIN - wow, that'll be big to my NY friend. He can then use HPTuners to continue tuning the drivetrain and simply switch the VIN when emissions testing is due with Pete's app. Then switch the VIN back to continue tuning with HPTuners.
I can see this being widespread to lots of other vehicles that were LS-swapped (like GMT-400, Jeeps, Mustangs, etc).

Pete - great work. I see you have a breakthrough with the opensource flashing = awesome. And if you have time, this app could be more helpful to people than some think!
To the foul mouths, Point: if you don't think something new will work with your build/business/etc - don't assume it won't work for others.
Thank you very much for the appreciation.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS Droid Elm is avaible for use now. The purpose of the App is ONLY to read Id's from the PCM at this time. The app will read the vin number, serial number, Seed (& give you the key), as well as the ID numbers for each segment of the OS. The app has only been used on a handful of devices so before adding any type of "modification" ability it is important to see if various types of phones have an issue reading basic information over Bluetooth from the PCM and what type of Elm devices are compatible.

The UI is VERY basic to keep any potential graphic issues from creating a problem. If you find an Elm device that this does not work with(but other apps like Torq do work with) please let me know so I can look into the issue.

If you encounter display errors(things to clearly don't look intended) a screen shot of the issue and information on the device will help track down what caused it. A display error should not affect the app's function.

Again this is READ ONLY, no data is altered in any way, shape or form. Getting this tested and fixing any compatibly issues is must before I continue working on a release candidate that DOES HAVE write capabilities for things like Vin number, Seed & Key, possibly even cloning all pcm/vehicle security data. The Elm327 (as in $15 dollor types) will never be capable of reading or writing a pcm's bin file. However there are a number of devices that are grouped with the Elm327 description that WOULD are capable of pcm read& writes. Since the Elm name has become so generic.

Download on any android device and install like normal. You will be prompted to install an app from an "unknown source" - Due to Googles policy on app takedown(preventing author from removing) I am not publishing this in the Playstore at this time

LS_Droid_Elm327_V1_7.apk

More information can be found HERE on the "Opensource The LS Pcm" github myself and a number of others have been working on for the last couple of months.

Last edited by PeteS160; 03-04-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i'm down to try it on my pixel 2. lost my elm327 though. any thoughts on a better substitute than the dubious quality $12 amazon ones?
Old 03-05-2018, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i'm down to try it on my pixel 2. lost my elm327 though. any thoughts on a better substitute than the dubious quality $12 amazon ones?
I've tested this
Elm327 Elm327
and it works fine. The big issue with a lot of cheap elms is they don't always support the VPW protocol correctly.

I can tell you that
THIS THIS
Elm327 will not work. While it does support VPW(mostly) it's just too slow for something like this.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i'll try this on my elm27 bafx hopefully today and check back.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fst100
i'll try this on my elm27 bafx hopefully today and check back.
COOL...let me know
Old 03-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Launching!

It seemed to work just fine on my rooted Nexus 5 running Oreo with a ScanTool MX Bluetooth on my 0411 in my OBS Tahoe with an altered (vehicle matching) VIN.

Thanks for doing this!

Do the results have any value to me?

I've had a partially unresolved issue with the Knock Retard PID and whether I'm monitoring it or not.

-KP
Old 03-06-2018, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry I wasn't able to test yesterday. was still working on installing my LCA and PHB so car's still on ramps. prolly wont be driving it til after this nor'easter passes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Android/Elm327 Pcm Flash App (LS Droid Read only released)