PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Android/Elm327 Pcm Flash App (LS Droid Read only released)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

What are the advantages of the OBD XPro over let's say, the OBD Link MX+? Do you, as a software developer, have better control over firmware in the XPro device?

Many thanks,

Rick
Old 02-09-2020, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

The XPro is much faster than ELM-style devices like the ones from ObdLink, because it uses s more efficient PC/phone protocol, has more memory, and uses a faster version of the OBD2 protocol.

The AVT interfaces come close to being as fast, but they are expensive and kind of awkward to get. (AVT would apparently rather sell to companies.)

These times were taken with PCM Hammer, not LSDroid, they are still illustrative:

https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHac...nd-Write-Times
Old 02-10-2020, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hello,

Another question and I would ask it on the Tuner Pro RT forum but it appears that Registration is currently disabled on that forum. Obi Wan Kenobe . . . you are my only hope.

I have a BIN and its mated and matched XDF file open on Tuner Pro but I'm a little perplexed when the program strongly recommends that I "NOT" change something. I mostly see this in the "System" tab when I want to change the engine type and transmission type.

Should I worry or proceed on to change these items? Will this destroy the calibration data if I make these supposedly forbidden changes?

Many thanks,

Rick
Old 02-11-2020, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Hello,

Another question and I would ask it on the Tuner Pro RT forum but it appears that Registration is currently disabled on that forum. Obi Wan Kenobe . . . you are my only hope.

I have a BIN and its mated and matched XDF file open on Tuner Pro but I'm a little perplexed when the program strongly recommends that I "NOT" change something. I mostly see this in the "System" tab when I want to change the engine type and transmission type.

Should I worry or proceed on to change these items? Will this destroy the calibration data if I make these supposedly forbidden changes?

Many thanks,

Rick
Most items that are marked as not to be changed will corrupt the file if altered. Changing the engine or trans type needs to be done by swapping in the appropriate segments from another bin with the same OS number. There's more involved than just checking a couple of boxes in Tuner Pro to change engine size and a segment swap is about the only way that's remotely simple to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeteS160:
Bill Hagan (02-11-2020), kpeters59 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After a great deal of consideration over the last couple of months and answering far more emails and PM's both here and on various forums then I ever expected to.... I've decided to end free for all file usage and implement some very strict file checks and requirements. on what files are acceptable for flashing.

As a side affect of these changes this will also end Os flashing and Cloning for COS files. You will still be able to read COS's but you won't be able to flash them any more. This will also affect some of the 99 and 00 OS's that were shipped from the factory with out segment checksums enabled.

With the freedom and power I have allowed also came a certain degree of responsibility ensuring you only flashed valid files.....unfortunately my faith in the community seems to have been misplaced and this freedom was not respected.

Ls Droid will ONLY accept files that use standardized GM checksum formats and placement and any file that is flashed will have every checksum in the file validated to prevent people from flashing files that have been modified improperly.

These changes will only affect people who were intentionally misusing Ls Droid, for the majority of users this lifts a massive burden of accidentally flashing a corrupted bin file and will drastically reduce the chance you run into an issue after flashing a PCM. Validating a file to flash will only add about 3 seconds and most people won't even notice it's being done unless they have an issue with the file.

The same changes that have been added to file checks for flashing have also been added to the segment swap utility and will make it MUCH safer to use....theoretically it should be impossible for the Segment swap utility to create a corrupted file with this new system.

As an added bonus for the next release I have also implemented a Folder system that will no longer just save files to the main storage area on your device. I also have greatly improved the debug logs Ls Droid creates that will make trouble shooting any possible issues that do arise much simpler to diagnose.

With the newly added file structure it was also much easier to implement a simple way for users to track files that have been read and written with a basic text document that just creates an entry with the file name and date of when it was read/written. This will make keeping track of multiple file versions much easier as well.

And of course I've saved the best for the end. I have also completely rewritten how Ls droid validates currently enabled features over the web. I have created an interactive installer on the Ls Droid server the app will use to configure the device the first time the app runs. This will create the file folder structure for the app as well as create an SQL Data base on the device the app is installed on. This is a technical way of saying the app will be able to maintain user settings for the next time the app is opened, it also let me create an "Off Line Mode" that allows a generous number of times the app can be used with out needing to connect to the Ls Droid server again to validate currently enabled features.

The creation of a local data base on the Android device also opens the door for future versions to include things that were currently not possible to do with only being able to read and write to files. The data base will allow holding large amounts of data with out bogging down the app or needing to create dozens of files to store small chunks of a bin file with.

The following 6 users liked this post by PeteS160:
Bill Hagan (02-13-2020), esantos (04-20-2020), JoshHefnerX (03-19-2020), kpeters59 (02-14-2020), MudDuck514 (02-16-2020), pavehawk (02-13-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LsDroid

Awesome Work !!!!
Old 02-13-2020, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

Cool stuff. Might steal that log file idea for PCM Hammer...
Old 02-13-2020, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Pete,
I think anything you do to make it easier and safer is fantastic!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteS160
As a side affect of these changes this will also end Os flashing and Cloning for COS files. You will still be able to read COS's but you won't be able to flash them any more. This will also affect some of the 99 and 00 OS's that were shipped from the factory with out segment checksums enabled.

Ls Droid will ONLY accept files that use standardized GM checksum formats and placement and any file that is flashed will have every checksum in the file validated to prevent people from flashing files that have been modified improperly.

These changes will only affect people who were intentionally misusing Ls Droid, for the majority of users this lifts a massive burden of accidentally flashing a corrupted bin file and will drastically reduce the chance you run into an issue after flashing a PCM. Validating a file to flash will only add about 3 seconds and most people won't even notice it's being done unless they have an issue with the file.
Please pardon the noob questions:
Does this mean this will end the flashing of OSs including when cling an entire PCM? For example, I'm just getting started on this, and I thought I'd just pick up a spare PCM, flash the only 1MB bin file that has a working XDF file associated with it, and try to make it work for my truck. Am I mistaken that flashing that file would include flashing the OS, or are you talking about flashing the OS only?

The current PCM in my truck has been tuned with HP Tuners software. Can I still clone that PCM? I should be able to as long as I haven't installed something like a 2 bar OS or something, right?

Sorry if this is a taboo question, but exactly how could this program be misused? Is there a chance someone would mistakenly do it?

Joe

Old 02-13-2020, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

An HP Tuners operating system or an EFI Live operating system is generally (as I understand things) considered to be a COS - Custom Operating System. Thusly, it will soon be impossible to do this with LS Droid. A custom operating system can be interpreted by lawyers as the intellectual property of these companies so . . . its best not to write those to unlicensed PCM devices.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
JoeRJr (02-13-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 01:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 535 Likes on 379 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

An HP Tuners operating system or an EFI Live operating system is generally (as I understand things) considered to be a COS - Custom Operating System. Thusly, it will soon be impossible to do this with LS Droid. A custom operating system can be interpreted by lawyers as the intellectual property of these companies so . . . its best not to write those to unlicensed PCM devices.

Rick
I believe he is referring to a file that has been tuned by a paid program, but not a custom system. HPT and EFI both have custom operating systems to enable things like 2 or 3 bar tuning, or possibly blended alpha n tuning that are not possible with the factory ecm's original software. Big difference between modifying GM's factory tune VS changing the operating system to include paid software only parameters.
JoeRJr (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
I believe he is referring to a file that has been tuned by a paid program, but not a custom system. HPT and EFI both have custom operating systems to enable things like 2 or 3 bar tuning, or possibly blended alpha n tuning that are not possible with the factory ecm's original software. Big difference between modifying GM's factory tune VS changing the operating system to include paid software only parameters.
This would be correct.

It does NOT matter what software was used to tune the PCM previously as long as the operating system on the PCM is still a GM created OS. The only people that will be impacted by this change are those running a COS where the creator of the COS has altered where checksums are stored or how they are calculated. There is also little to no way possible to tune most COS's outside of the software it was created to work with so any one who currently has been using a COS with Ls Droid has already been jumping though some serious hoops to make any changes to their file.

I'll go ahead and throw a foot note on the above statement while I'm at it.... the 99 and 00 OS's that did not have checksums enabled were total trash to start with and there is zero reason anyone should want to keep using one of those OS's anyways.

The coming changes will only impact a very small portion of Ls Droid users and they will be people who already know they are abusing the app's intended purpose.
The following 3 users liked this post by PeteS160:
JoeRJr (02-15-2020), kpeters59 (02-17-2020), MudDuck514 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 01:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 535 Likes on 379 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by PeteS160
This would be correct.

It does NOT matter what software was used to tune the PCM previously as long as the operating system on the PCM is still a GM created OS. The only people that will be impacted by this change are those running a COS where the creator of the COS has altered where checksums are stored or how they are calculated. There is also little to no way possible to tune most COS's outside of the software it was created to work with so any one who currently has been using a COS with Ls Droid has already been jumping though some serious hoops to make any changes to their file.

I'll go ahead and throw a foot note on the above statement while I'm at it.... the 99 and 00 OS's that did not have checksums enabled were total trash to start with and there is zero reason anyone should want to keep using one of those OS's anyways.

The coming changes will only impact a very small portion of Ls Droid users and they will be people who already know they are abusing the app's intended purpose.
Interesting. I had no idea the trash pcm's extended into 00. I thought the junk software was relegated to the 1999 pcm's. Then again, I have limited experience compared to most of you guys.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hello,

Call me a happy and very satisfied LS Droid and Tuner Pro RT user as of today. I also must not have a "trash OS" from 1999 or 2000 because it all has worked perfectly. Not a single bricked PCM out of my small herd of P01 and P59 devices - five total.

I have been reluctant until today to actually install a Tuner Pro edited and LS Droid written PCM into my El Camino. I've been very cautious and mostly just played around reading OBD II codes (none, zero, so far) in these edited devices using a bench harness and a three amp desktop power supply with my play Tuner Pro tunes and LS Droid. A while back, I found a suitable 5.3 liter OS BIN with a 4L60E transmission plus its mated XDF file and got after making the required changes - no segment swaps required. Mostly, it was killing off VATS in my tune, differential gear and tire height and turning off my list of DTC's that no longer applied to a 1970 El Camino. There was not much else to change but the real driver for me was leaving the stock original engine RPM of about 550 in this tune. I had my original HP Tunered PCM set to 800 RPM by that guy and that's just a little too high for me these days. And I did not want to pay him again to get it lowered. That HP Tunered PCM was also slightly difficult to start when cold and often needed three key turns to get it to run. It was also slightly cold natured and balky for the first 45-60 seconds. Overall, that PCM ran pretty good but I thought I might see if a different tune would help.

So today, I summoned the courage to swap in the recently acquired and newly tuned 0411 PCM. Worked like a champ, perfectly. Started on the first key turn and within seconds it settled into my desired 550 RPM. Not a single DTC was reported and I really expected that I would need to go back in and prune a few more out of the tune but none are illuminated as of now. It's a little rainy so I have not driven it today but I did put it in gear and moved it . . . no trouble and no trans codes. My usual list of about 24 scanned and logged PIDS looked very normal while sitting there idling and revving up the engine. No complaints, no hesitation, no back fires . . . its all good so far.

Over the coming week I will see how this new LS Droid written PCM works on the road but I have high confidence in it. When I kick on the A/C we shall see if I need to bump up the RPM a little but I'm not worried because I know how to fix it. Thanks, LS Droid.

Rick

Last edited by B52bombardier1; 02-23-2020 at 04:42 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word
The following 4 users liked this post by B52bombardier1:
AWDevastation (02-23-2020), G Atsma (02-23-2020), JoeRJr (02-23-2020), NSFW (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hello,

Call me a happy and very satisfied LS Droid and Tuner Pro RT user as of today. I also must not have a "trash OS" from 1999 or 2000 because it all has worked perfectly. Not a single bricked PCM out of my small herd of P01 and P59 devices - five total.

I have been reluctant until today to actually install a Tuner Pro edited and LS Droid written PCM into my El Camino. I've been very cautious and mostly just played around reading OBD II codes (none, zero, so far) in these edited devices using a bench harness and a three amp desktop power supply with my play Tuner Pro tunes and LS Droid. A while back, I found a suitable 5.3 liter OS BIN with a 4L60E transmission plus its mated XDF file and got after making the required changes - no segment swaps required. Mostly, it was killing off VATS in my tune, differential gear and tire height and turning off my list of DTC's that no longer applied to a 1970 El Camino. There was not much else to change but the real driver for me was leaving the stock original engine RPM of about 550 in this tune. I had my original HP Tunered PCM set to 800 RPM by that guy and that's just a little too high for me these days. And I did not want to pay him again to get it lowered. That HP Tunered PCM was also slightly difficult to start when cold and often needed three key turns to get it to run. It was also slightly cold natured and balky for the first 45-60 seconds. Overall, that PCM ran pretty good but I thought I might see if a different tune would help.

So today, I summoned the courage to swap in the recently acquired and newly tuned 0411 PCM. Worked like a champ, perfectly. Started on the first key turn and within seconds it settled into my desired 550 RPM. Not a single DTC was reported and I really expected that I would need to go back in and prune a few more out of the tune but none are illuminated as of now. It's a little rainy so I have not driven it today but I did put it in gear and moved it . . . no trouble and no trans codes. My usual list of about 24 scanned and logged PIDS looked very normal while sitting there idling and revving up the engine. No complaints, no hesitation, no back fires . . . its all good so far.

Over the coming week I will see how this new LS Droid written PCM works on the road but I have high confidence in it. When I kick on the A/C we shall see if I need to bump up the RPM a little but I'm not worried because I know how to fix it. Thanks, LS Droid.

Rick
I'm glad to hear its working out for you and stories like yours are the reason I created this in the first place.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After hearing about some people who were able to get Ls Droid working on a Kindle Fire I decided to see what it was going to take to just add support for it. Oddly enough the most recent update I've been working on that has a bunch of fixes for Android 10 devices installed and worked almost perfectly with out any changes to the apk I was testing with Android 10 over the weekend.

The app installed just fine and had no trouble creating the folder structure or passing the new method for device registration or authentication. It was actually about 15 seconds faster then reading a PCM with a Sony XA2 and about 2 seconds faster then with a Samsung A10E.

Based on what I saw I'm likely going to add the Kindle Fire HD 8 and likely the HD10 to the list of supported devices with the next update. It may work with the Kindle Fire 7 but I have no plans on buying one of each tablet just to find out. The Fire HD 8 I picked up was a 2018 version and is more then capable, just looking at specs it's also very likely the 2017 version would also work but would be a bit slower. The newest version off the Fire HD 10 may actually be comparable speed wise to last year's flag ship phones that were running Android 9.

kpeters59 (02-25-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pete,

I have started a conversion thread and Rick (B52bombardier1) has guided me to your program. I am very eager to start using it, but I am a IPhone/Apple user. I do have a Kindle with Android 7.1 on it. I don’t want to buy a device if I don’t have to. If, or when will I be able to use the Kindle to us LS droid with it? No pressure, just asking.

Thanks!
Tony
Old 02-29-2020, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

double post, sorry.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:23 PM

Hi first of all thanks for a great work, im able to read a good pcm p59, at first i used to have issues with hexadecimal error, but i was able to fix that with a firmware upgrade trough recovery from the obd link lx app and removing every relay just the pcm one, and second i have two brick pcms that i see in youtube that can be repaired with this app, but i cant ge os id in both one p59 and p01, is there any other way to recover those pcms or do i have to get a programmer like gq4x4? Thanks
​​​​​​
Old 03-01-2020, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a pin on the printed circuit board under the lid of the PCM that needs to be briefly grounded while the PCM is powered up. I'm told that you have about 15 seconds after this action to let LS Droid proceed into recovery mode. And I'm not a hundred percent certain how many times you can do this so be ready as you step through this procedure. Let me see if I can attach a picture of the correct pin on the board.

Rick

kpeters59 (03-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Android/Elm327 Pcm Flash App (LS Droid Read only released)