PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissaponting dyno results please advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissaponting dyno results please advise

09 ly6 vvt delete tr6060 6spd 4.08 rear gear. Cam is btr ls3 stage 2 cam with .660 spring kit and pushrods. Ls3 intake with 87mm truck dbw tb. Cx racing longtube headers. Running e38 ecu from donor vehicle. Torque doesn't seem to come online till 3800 or so and according to tuner won't make power past 6k. Is this to be expected of this setup or am I missing something tune or mechanical
Attached Thumbnails Dissaponting dyno results please advise-20170620_201652.jpg   Dissaponting dyno results please advise-20170614_134744.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Dyno graph only goes to 5900 rpm? Just guessing but that combo should make 400-425 pretty easily.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

It should hit peak power right at 6200-6300 with that cam. Personally, i don't think the graph looks like it peaked.

Your peak torque does seem low. What does your exhaust look like after your headers?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Also worth noting is the dyno shows a bit of torque management that was not tuned out. I did take the car back to be gone over again. Was a little better on the bottom but still lacking. Did not go back on the dyno a second time so I have no numbers to compare, and of course the guy who tuned it is no longer in business. Exhaust is 3 inches at collectors and merges to a single 3 behind tranny
Old 12-06-2017, 11:19 PM

Thanks guys for your insight. I guess the question i would like help with is how do I proceed. I'm about 95% sure things are good on the mechanical side and now leaning towards being almost as sure that my tune is complete crap. Almost wondering if there is still torque management or something taking over below 4000 and if he was just too lazy or unsure of himself to even bump the redline from factory settings. I will say that it feels like its just getting to its happy place at over 4k and just being shut down too early. At any rate is there anyone that someone here could recommend to take it to get tuned that really knows their stuff within 400 miles of rapid city sd. Its like no mans land up here for people doing this stuff, here one day gone the next before they could ever sharpen their skills. Or would I be better off to buy HP tuners and do some logging and work with someone online. I am open to either and somewhat leaning towards getting HP tuners if it is a feasible solution with no experience using the software. Either way I am very anxious to find out if there is a lot more meat on the bone here.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Id be turning that cam to 6500 (or more) all day. 5900 dyno graph is gonna be low hp.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by jz90
Also worth noting is the dyno shows a bit of torque management that was not tuned out. I did take the car back to be gone over again. Was a little better on the bottom but still lacking. Did not go back on the dyno a second time so I have no numbers to compare, and of course the guy who tuned it is no longer in business. Exhaust is 3 inches at collectors and merges to a single 3 behind tranny
I thought about this some more, and this can be a consequence of a larger cam with out increasing compression. That cam make your dynamic compression lower, which will show as being a bit lazy on the bottom end. Sometimes it will also show up as underwhelming throttle response. FWIW, that merge can be helpful or harmful, depending on the way it merges. if the two pipes come together parallel like the flowmaster merge, that's good. if they just intersect like a 90-degree angle and one pipe dead-heads into the other, that will KILL your torque.

Originally Posted by jz90
Thanks guys for your insight. I guess the question i would like help with is how do I proceed. I'm about 95% sure things are good on the mechanical side and now leaning towards being almost as sure that my tune is complete crap. Almost wondering if there is still torque management or something taking over below 4000 and if he was just too lazy or unsure of himself to even bump the redline from factory settings. I will say that it feels like its just getting to its happy place at over 4k and just being shut down too early. At any rate is there anyone that someone here could recommend to take it to get tuned that really knows their stuff within 400 miles of rapid city sd. Its like no mans land up here for people doing this stuff, here one day gone the next before they could ever sharpen their skills. Or would I be better off to buy HP tuners and do some logging and work with someone online. I am open to either and somewhat leaning towards getting HP tuners if it is a feasible solution with no experience using the software. Either way I am very anxious to find out if there is a lot more meat on the bone here.
Personally, I would buy HPTuners. It is a steep learning curve, and there is not much in the way of intructions and what to adjust or by how much. But as you figure it out, you become self-reliant, so it is cheaper in the long run.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Id be turning that cam to 6500 (or more) all day. 5900 dyno graph is gonna be low hp.
All day long. ****, i would not be afraid of 7000 RPM as long as I knew the valve train was stable.

Quick Reply: Dissaponting dyno results please advise