PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
alright Ive got tunerpro v5 open and working. I can view 512Kb BINs and XDFs, alter them, save them etc.

i still get a msvcr120.dll missing error when I open tunerpro, even though I have reinstalled C++ visual basic and rebooted a couple times. ----not sure how to fix that---

I cannot figure out how to download the beta XDF for the p59 OS thats up on github. anyone care to share a p59 XDF?

I'm really interesting in fixing the flex spark table on my turbo truck.
Here ya go, like I said....I wouldn't flash any thing you alter with this just yet.

If you don't have the Checksum plugin you'll need to copy that into the appropriate folder as per the TunerPro editing instructions
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
V8fan (10-10-2021)
Old 09-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any update on that flash kernel? I have a couple of LS retrofits using 0411 PCM's comping up in the near future. Already got my allpro cable , and am wiring up a testbench soon too
Old 09-10-2018, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by punisher454
any update on that flash kernel? I have a couple of LS retrofits using 0411 PCM's comping up in the near future. Already got my allpro cable , and am wiring up a testbench soon too
No word on the flash kernel yet.

I was honestly expecting that this would have been sorted out some time ago and the only explanation I have is that I'm not the one working on it and creating one myself is well outside of my comprehension. So for now we just have to wait for Antus to finish the one he was working on unless someone like NSFW feels motivated to start writing his own.

This is the only other person I know of that could get things moving again since he's already written a read and write kernel but has been MIA for the last couple of years....
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/member.php?u=11552
If someone knew how to get in touch with him he could solve this kernel issue really easy.....we'd just need permission to use the kernels from his LS1Flash tool but we've been told he works on an off shore oil rig these days and is almost impossible to get in contact with.

There is another way to read/write these pcm's that doesn't cost much and is much....much faster and safer then doing it via the data bus but it requires opening up the pcm and making 8 connections directly to the pcm's circuit board. I've attempted to post a "how to guide" on the forum here before but the resolution of the pictures doesn't work well with the forums software. Downsizing the pictures doesn't help much since the whole point was making it VERY clear what needs to go where since your soldering directly onto the pcb and if your one pin off...well it probably wouldn't be good.

For anyone needing something like yesterday this will be your only current option, it's not necessarily a bad way to flash and if the person I was working with on this had followed though on his end this would have ended up as a highly desirable mod......unfortunately that was never finished. With some care the method could be permanently installed in a pcm but it would need to be one that wasn't mounted under the hood so water intrusion into the pcm or USB cable wasn't an issue. It is fast.......7 seconds to read and only 15 seconds for a full write. Pcm is un-brick able with this method as well, meaning you can flash ANY OS you want and the worst that happens is the pcm won't boot. Plug pull mid flash....not an issue. Even cutting power to the PCM mid flash doesn't hurt anything.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by PeteS160

There is another way to read/write these pcm's that doesn't cost much and is much....much faster and safer then doing it via the data bus but it requires opening up the pcm and making 8 connections directly to the pcm's circuit board. I've attempted to post a "how to guide" on the forum here before but the resolution of the pictures doesn't work well with the forums software. Downsizing the pictures doesn't help much since the whole point was making it VERY clear what needs to go where since your soldering directly onto the pcb and if your one pin off...well it probably wouldn't be good.

For anyone needing something like yesterday this will be your only current option, it's not necessarily a bad way to flash and if the person I was working with on this had followed though on his end this would have ended up as a highly desirable mod......unfortunately that was never finished. With some care the method could be permanently installed in a pcm but it would need to be one that wasn't mounted under the hood so water intrusion into the pcm or USB cable wasn't an issue. It is fast.......7 seconds to read and only 15 seconds for a full write. Pcm is un-brick able with this method as well, meaning you can flash ANY OS you want and the worst that happens is the pcm won't boot. Plug pull mid flash....not an issue. Even cutting power to the PCM mid flash doesn't hurt anything.

whoa this sounds awesome. any OS? even p59 stuff?
Old 09-10-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whoa this sounds awesome. any OS? even p59 stuff?
As far as I know and what I have seen, yes. It's the equivalent of lifting the flash chip and using an off board burner to read/flash with but it's done right on the Pcm using the factory's programming header. The tool to do it costs around $50 or $60 bucks, you can technically use the tool on multiple pcm's but you wouldn't want to try reusing the ribbon cable. You'd want to leave the cable connected to the pcm.....and it'd be how you would flash it in the future so you'd want it there anyways.

Here's a low resolution image of what the header looks like when soldered onto the pcm.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is what the device looks like inside a Pcm case, as you can see it fits just fine but getting the USB cable out of the pcm will take some drilling. This is why I had started working on doing this wireless since the tool has support for Linux and the Raspberry Pie's run on a stripped down version of Linuix and was capable of supporting the software this works with.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

thats rad. I wonder if there's a semi-weatherproof usb port available?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They make USB port "covers" but I'm not sure how "weather proof" it'd end up being. Cable length doesn't appear to be an issue but that may vary from one cable to the next. I've used one on a 12 foot USB cable with out an issue.......but it was the USB cable for a J2534 tool and was rather beefy. I'm sure anything outside of the USB spec would really depend on the quality of the cable and how many other things it has to run past that could create possible interference.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 AM
Teching In

That looks like the usb jtag adaptor ive seen before. worth the 65 bucks for one pcm i suppose. was hoping for the convenience of flashing through the port.
back in 2001 I did a whole bunch of 0411's by desoldering the flash chip and programming with a chip burner.
still no simple and inexpensive solution yet...

correction: BDM not JTAG

Last edited by punisher454; 09-11-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

Antus and I have both been distracted by random life events, but we'll get it done. The ball is really in my court right now, so feel free to blame me.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:14 AM
Teching In

BLAME BLAME SHAME SHAME BAD MAN!!

No, but seriously thanks for all your work so far(everyone involved).
Old 09-11-2018, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Without having a pinout in front of me right now I'd assume than an 0411 has a few unused or unnessesary pins on the main plugs you could splice into inside the case.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For anyone needing something like yesterday this will be your only current option, it's not necessarily a bad way to flash and if the person I was working with on this had followed though on his end this would have ended up as a highly desirable mod......unfortunately that was never finished.
So does that mean the hard-wire method doesn't work? Because this would definitely be something right up my alley since I do electronics repairs, and my PCM is under my dash so no worries about the elements - and to be able to read/write in a few seconds would also be right in tune with my complete lack of patience.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
So does that mean the hard-wire method doesn't work? Because this would definitely be something right up my alley since I do electronics repairs, and my PCM is under my dash so no worries about the elements - and to be able to read/write in a few seconds would also be right in tune with my complete lack of patience.
The hardwired method works fine and is what I use on my bench when probing into parts of the OS that is likely to brick a pcm. Prior to using this I had a HUGE stack of pcm's I'd bricked working on LS Droid, my pile of Pcm's got large enough that I really had no choice but to sit down and get this working.

If your interested in the details send me a PM with your email address and I'll send a zip file with instructions on how to connect every thing, high resolution pictures with all connections labeled and details on how to use the software to read and write with.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Without having a pinout in front of me right now I'd assume than an 0411 has a few unused or unnessesary pins on the main plugs you could splice into inside the case.
Getting it out of the Pcm case isn't the issue, it's keeping the other end of the USB connection sealed so water and such didn't get into the connector or wiring.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks like the usb jtag adaptor ive seen before. worth the 65 bucks for one pcm i suppose. was hoping for the convenience of flashing through the port.
back in 2001 I did a whole bunch of 0411's by desoldering the flash chip and programming with a chip burner.
still no simple and inexpensive solution yet...

correction: BDM not JTAG
It's $65 and CAN be moved from one pcm to the next, the header is all you would want to leave behind and is something like $4. That's not exactly an expensive way to read/write a pcm especially when bricking isn't a concern.

If your wanting to tune a multitude of pcm's that makes me think your interested in commercial tuning. All of this work has been with the internet of helping those that can't afford commercial tools, it's hard to justify spending $600-$900+ to tune just one or two pcm's. I've made it clear several times throughout this post that this will never be a replacement or even substitute for commercial flashing/tuning. If you don't have the money to buy something simple that works like Hp Tuners you need to be willing to put in some extra work or deal with some inconveniences to do the same thing for a fraction of the cost.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NSFW
Antus and I have both been distracted by random life events, but we'll get it done. The ball is really in my court right now, so feel free to blame me.
slacker......
Old 09-11-2018, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

hey I got a dumb question. when you're looking at a .bin file, what do the blocks of FF FF mean?
Old 09-11-2018, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey I got a dumb question. when you're looking at a .bin file, what do the blocks of FF FF mean?
in most cases.....just guessing at what your talking about l.......so id wager it's used for padding/spacing if your seeing large blocks of it.

the p59 pcm has a LOT of unused space that's filled with FF.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 PM
Teching In

I'll add to this.....it should be in it's own thread and I've tried to create one here before but the pictures are too large for the forum to accept and just posting a zip file with a HOW-TO that requires soldering on a Pcm pcb wasn't something I was comfortable doing.

I had a number of people asking about how to "Fix" a bricked pcm so I sat down one night and did a basic write up how to install and use the UBD BDM......I made sure I took really high resolution pictures on the Pcm and put some clear labeling in the pics so there was no confusion where things go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19dK...?usp=drive_web

If your not sure how to work on a PCB then do your self a favor and forget you read this. I take no responsibility for any damage done if someone screws up a pcm attempting this.

If you think you have the skills to do this...then enjoy. Read times are about 15 seconds and FULL write is around 20 seconds.

If you use some common sense you can figure out how to make this work in vehicle. I've done it with one permanently mounted in a pcm and it lived there for months before I took the pcm back out for bench use. Just be aware this is not intended to be a portable method for flashing, once you install the header I'd suggest leaving it, you can remove the BDM itself from the pcm but I would suggest leaving the header attached.

Once the file has been read you can use Tuner Pro to open the file if there is an Xdf that supports the OS. If your hardcore you can do it in a hex editor but you'd better know what your doing.

Once the BDM is installed correctly and you know it works.....you can flash ANYTHING you want on the pcm and not have to worry about being able to recover it. It's as simple as flashing the chip again to to return the pcm to working order.

I've bricked pcm's in ways you can't even begin to imagine and unless you physically damage the hardware and that is possible if your getting wild making changes in the bin file. For an average person that's decent with soldering installing this should take around 15 minutes. If you do this type of work every day your looking at a couple of minutes tops to be up and running.

Enjoy........

Where is the best place to buy one of these BDM Programmers.
I want to buy a decent product not Chinese clones

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)