Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning out po106 after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tuning out po106 after cam swap

Recently did cam swap with stage 2 TSP on my 2014 Chevy SS, and I have had some CMR tuning done and car runs great. unfortunately I get occasional PO106 MAP sensor code, which is common on cam swaps. I have read this can be tuned out. where do I start? what do I need to relay to tuner if he doesn't seem to be able comprehend this is a tunable issue. I have replaced MAP sensor with new dealer part.and still occasionally get this code. or could it be an intake leak it doesn't seem to pop up till I throttle up. any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:52 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I’ll go ahread and move ths to the Tuning section.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Bump to put your post back at the top.

Also, my sons truck does this as well. Not often, but often enough to set the light and cause concern. I already replaced his MAP sensor with a new one, and still it sets the C/E light intermittently. If someone posts the answer, we can BOTH fix problems!

I'll be following this post.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronhightracing
Recently did cam swap with stage 2 TSP on my 2014 Chevy SS, and I have had some CMR tuning done and car runs great. unfortunately I get occasional PO106 MAP sensor code, which is common on cam swaps. I have read this can be tuned out. where do I start? what do I need to relay to tuner if he doesn't seem to be able comprehend this is a tunable issue. I have replaced MAP sensor with new dealer part.and still occasionally get this code. or could it be an intake leak it doesn't seem to pop up till I throttle up. any input would be appreciated.
Raise the P0101, P0106, P0121 Min ECT field above the engine operating temp.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Russ, you have much more experience at this than I do. I could not make much sense out of what you are recommending to do.

Can't the problem be resolved by adjusting the tables under HPT>ENGINE DIAG>AIRFLOW>MAP PRESS SENSR>MAP CALCULATED MAX AND/OR MAP CALCULATED MIN???

Or am I completely missing it?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

I think I might have found the problem with my sons truck. His temp gauge has been reading erroneously recently. It has been showing that the engine is running hot, but in fact it is not. I found this link;
https://www.ls2.com/boggs/dtcs/DTC%20P0106.htm

that specifically states a stuck temp sending unit can cause the MAP code to set. I'll try swapping the ECT sending unit first to see if the MAP code goes away after that.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
Russ, you have much more experience at this than I do. I could not make much sense out of what you are recommending to do.

Can't the problem be resolved by adjusting the tables under HPT>ENGINE DIAG>AIRFLOW>MAP PRESS SENSR>MAP CALCULATED MAX AND/OR MAP CALCULATED MIN???

Or am I completely missing it?
Yes, on a Gen 3 pcm there is the P0106 Calculated Map Max table than can be raised to be slightly higher than the actual map.

But the OP has a Gen 4 pcm, that you can't adjust the Map table. Can only disable the test.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-22-2018, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Russ, thank you for replying back. I wonder if anyone else recognizes that you are a SUPERSTAR in the tuning business? I sure do. I was impressed that you took the time to reply to this post. Thank you very much for your time!

I was able to copy and paste the MAP max/min table data from a 6.0L of the same year into his truck and so far it seems to work perfectly. I did build a graph that matched the MAP tables first and we logged while driving and then went back and looked at the data and compared it to what was in max/min tables. Nothing was outside of the bounders either high or low. But, of course, I only logged it AFTER we put the 6.0 tables in. So, maybe with the old 5.3 data I might have seen where it was crossing the boundaries. Or, it could be that it is only doing it intermittently and it did not happen during our log/drive time. My son will let me know if the C/E light sets again, and if it is the same code, we will know that we have not fixed it. This is on a 5.3L, LS2 truck engine, 2001 model year, with a GM Hot Cam. If I knew how to build filters I could have set the graph up to only log where the KPA readings exceeded the boundaries. I will learn.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Just a quick update. Replaced the ECT sensor, and swapped to the 6.0L tables, and NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FOR MAP PERFORMANCE! I think one of the two fixed it. Have put over 300 miles on the truck and no check engine light, and no codes present when scanned. Before it would set the same P0106 within 2 days of driving after clearing it. Hope this helps anyone that comes across this post.