Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 tune question HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Lq4 tune question HPTuners

So I am putting together an LQ4 cammed/stalled with 799 heads in an A4 4l60e fbody, headers, 3.73s, LS6 intake, which is a recipe I thought would be very common.

I bought HPTUNERS thinking there'd be a baseline tune for me in the repository for what I thought was a common combination, but not seeing it.

Is it out of line for me to ask someone for a good baseline tune I can at least plop in this thing to get it started/idling? I also have a wideband so I should be able to tinker safely once it's rolling and eventually work my way up to safe WOT.

One of the reasons of using a cheaper LQ4 was so I could tinker and if I blow it up it's not that expensive compared to LS1 or others, but I'm not confident enough or knowledgeable enough to build a tune from scratch.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Theres a ton of idle tuning how-tos out there that'll get it running and driving.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default HPTuners

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Theres a ton of idle tuning how-tos out there that'll get it running and driving.
Ok so you're saying to try to get it running from scratch.

Was hoping there was some other repository or maybe someone here might offer a safe baseline tune for this somewhat common recipe to leapfrog me up to having tables that are "close" and have the stall shiftpoints already close and have the misfire detection handled and maybe a dozen other things I wouldn't even be aware of fixed before I start going into the nuances that are different from motor to motor even with exact builds.

I guess if the community doesn't have that then I'll maybe start calling some tuners and see if they'll part with one of their baselines for a fee. I really thought the community worked differently than that.

Last edited by mk3cn4; 06-15-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:02 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Get something that's close. Don't worry about the engine size or gearing. I'd look for an A4/LS1 tune with a cam similar to yours and start from there. Engine size and gearing take a couple of seconds to change.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would never recommend just downloading a random tune off the repository and using it. You have no idea if it was done correctly or what exactly the tune was done for. We offer base tune and full tuning through email if you want to go that route.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Get something that's close. Don't worry about the engine size or gearing. I'd look for an A4/LS1 tune with a cam similar to yours and start from there. Engine size and gearing take a couple of seconds to change.
Ok, thank you for the information. Glad to hear an LS1 baseline tune with my same options would be a good starting point, it crossed my mind to do that but didn't know if it would be too far off. I think that'll be my initial fireup tune then.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
I would never recommend just downloading a random tune off the repository and using it. You have no idea if it was done correctly or what exactly the tune was done for. We offer base tune and full tuning through email if you want to go that route.
Actually, I haven't searched for it yet to see if this is being done, but I was considering an idea of having some remote tuner remote control my laptop over the Internet (via webex or teamviewer etc) while my laptop is online using my cellphone's hotspot and trying a street tune that way once I get it close. I have hptuners pro and wideband I'd have all set up ahead of time. Do you offer that service?

EDIT: wanted to mention that I do this remote control stuff all the time for my work and as long as I am in 4G coverage it is every bit as fast as using a local computer for the remote user. And, if using Verizon, I know that I can do a simultaneous voice call.

Last edited by mk3cn4; 06-15-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

We do offer that, we have to build your base tune in advance and email it to you, then schedule a time for the live tune over the internet.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

You don't mention cam specs at all. That will be the major player in the tune. I have a similar combo, but if you have a stock cam or say, a MS3, our tunes would be very different.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

what do you charge for a base tune ? im doing a 5.3 243 heads with btr stage 2 turbo cam . ls6 intake . 7875 turbo 80 injecters th400
Old 08-11-2018, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

All our pricing is on our online store, just pick the option for your mods and it will give you a price.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

All our pricing is on our online store, just pick the option for your mods and it will give you a price.
thanks ill be gettin in touch next spring

Quick Reply: Lq4 tune question HPTuners