Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners (Scanner) Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 162 Likes on 119 Posts
Question HP Tuners (Scanner) Help

Can someone open the attached run logs and tell me if I have the right (or enough) channels for tuning? I'm trying to get my scanner set-up to capture the data necessary to make tuning changes. I don't have a wide band yet, so I won't have actual AFR. Do I need to add/remove any other channels?
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
grocery run_1.hpl (58.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: hpl
grocery run-2.hpl (66.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-23-2019, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

I finally just got this guide together and posted today in fact. The first thing we tune is the VE, normally with a wideband due to the fact anything beyond about +/- 2 of stoich AFR for narrowband O2's is extremely inaccurate. Hopefully I covered enough of this in the guide to get you headed in the right direction with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAQh...ature=youtu.be

Now I know you said you don't have a WB yet. Here is how to use STFT's instead to "lightly" tune:

Do ALL of the steps in the guide, EXCEPT you are going to go ahead and TURN ON the STFT's

Do This: Engine>Fuel>Open Closed Loop>Open Loop STFT's - set drop down to "enabled."

When you are building your AFR Error Table, instead of using WB AFR error, use Short Term Fuel Trim [Sensor]

Here is the tree: Generic Sensors>Engine>Fuel>Closed Loop Fuel Learning>Short Term Fuel Trim [Ratio]

Everything else is in the guide.

Note, STFT's are not a very reliable way to tune fueling beyond certain thresholds beyond NB O2 scope. What this means is that once the ratio is out enough, the O2 is just "maxed" out in on direction or the other. The numbers it gives you will lead you in the right direction, however, that number might be wildly exaggerated. Take it slow, this is something you can do while you wait for your WB to show up, so at least you'll have a better idea what you're doing.

Also note: STFT's are DISABLED IN POWER ENRICHMENT MODE. <<<< That's actually pretty important, so if I were you I would wait for that WB before putting that pedal to the floor.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 162 Likes on 119 Posts

The video is helpful. I think I need to add more charts to my scanner layout.

I don't plan on making any changes soon. I'm just getting everything set-up so I can learn how all this tuning stuff works. Eventually, I want to boost my car. That's when I'll need to make changes. I'll probably just let Frost tune it remotely, but he will need the data to work with. I would probably just blow something up.