LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   PCM Diagnostics & Tuning (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/)
-   -   Which ECU to go with??? S10 (Sonoma) 6.0/4L80E swap (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/1903952-ecu-go-s10-sonoma-6-0-4l80e-swap.html)

nickpohlaandp 08-06-2018 12:19 PM

Which ECU to go with??? S10 (Sonoma) 6.0/4L80E swap

So I’ve picked up my newest project and I have a pretty good idea of which way I want to go with it. Before I ask questions, here’s what I’m working with.

I bought a clean 2001 Sonoma regular cab 2wd and a 2001 2500 HD donor. The donor has a good running 6.0/4L80E in it, which I plan to treat to a few upgrades before it goes in the Sonoma. I’ve got my work ahead of me, but it should all mostly be time consuming, no earth shattering fab. One thing I am going to do is boost it though. Due to packaging I’m leaning toward a Whipple 4.0L right now... we’ll see how things pan out as things progress. No matter what, it will have forced induction in one form or another.

The one thing I’m not 100% sure of is which way to approach the tuning side of this build. Here’s what’s been going through my mind.

Option 1: Having the donor running (for now), I’m obviously wondering if I can use the OEM ECU to handle the task at hand. I know I could tune it using scaling, but I don’t know if other features would become a hindrance. I want to keep the air conditioning, and it’d be really nice to keep the cruise control. If I use the 2500 ECU will I still be able to keep the cruise?

Option 2: Is there any way to tune the OEM 4 banger Sonoma ECU to run a V8?

Option 3: Aftermarket fuel/spark management. I realize that this option will most likely result in losing cruise control, but that wouldn’t completely break my heart. I was thinking if I go this route possibly going with the Holley Dominator EFI. I am a little behind the times on stand alone systems, but I know that the Holley would definitely let me tune the engine, control the trans, and also let me use speed density instead of MAF (can you convert the OEM ECU to speed density?).

So so I guess what I’m looking for is some experienced advice on what I can and can’t do with the factory ECU(s), opinions/suggestions on which way would be best to go, and if there’s another system other than the Holley I should check out please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

G Atsma 08-06-2018 12:44 PM

Speed density does use MAP(manifold absolute pressure), but not MAF(mass air flow)

nickpohlaandp 08-06-2018 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 19943985)
Speed density does use MAP(manifold absolute pressure), but not MAF(mass air flow)

Duh, I know that. That was a typo. I’ll fix... sorry

G Atsma 08-06-2018 01:34 PM

Oh OK, lol. I've done that more times than I care to recount.....

Dimeomboost 08-06-2018 02:37 PM

Current performance makes a harness to plug right into your existing setup or u can pull the engine harness and pcm and use the fuse box and harness off your donor motor converted to standalone stock pcm turbo 5.7 meth injection th400 over 800hp street driven on mine it's a easy platform if u plan it out but room fills up quick so be sure to come.up with a good plan

Dimeomboost 08-06-2018 02:41 PM

Best thing I've done to help with my setup is built the 8.8 for it the caltrac bars and the tubular core support. It gave me extra room up front for intercooler and radiator. Stock 4.3 radiator and two good fans 100% meth injection two 340lph pumps in tank 8an feed Holley rails 1100cc injectors boost referenced regulator 6an return stock fuel tank Stock cluster

nickpohlaandp 08-06-2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost (Post 19944067)
Best thing I've done to help with my setup is built the 8.8 for it the caltrac bars and the tubular core support. It gave me extra room up front for intercooler and radiator. Stock 4.3 radiator and two good fans 100% meth injection two 340lph pumps in tank 8an feed Holley rails 1100cc injectors boost referenced regulator 6an return stock fuel tank Stock cluster

Thanks for the info. I’ll look up Current Performance when I get done with work today. As for the rear end, I’m going 9” and triangulated 4 link (I’m going to fab that up). Thanks again

Dimeomboost 08-06-2018 05:17 PM

Have u thought about 8.8 ends on the nine inch. The explorer brake are disc and adapt easily to s10 lines also they clear 15" wheels. Not sure what brakes cost for nine inch but it's just a thought if u 4 link it be sure u box the frame in where it's open. I've seen a few twist behind gas tank in front of axle

nickpohlaandp 08-06-2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost (Post 19944208)
Have u thought about 8.8 ends on the nine inch. The explorer brake are disc and adapt easily to s10 lines also they clear 15" wheels. Not sure what brakes cost for nine inch but it's just a thought if u 4 link it be sure u box the frame in where it's open. I've seen a few twist behind gas tank in front of axle

The 9” comes with disks and yes, I have every intention of boxing the frame. I hate the extra weight, but I want it to be solid. I even thought about lightening holes down the frame, but I’m not 100% sure of the structural implications of doing that. Without being 100%, when it comes to chassis, I’m not taking the chance.

You don’t happen to have any pics of your tube front end, do you?

nickpohlaandp 08-06-2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost (Post 19944208)
Have u thought about 8.8 ends on the nine inch. The explorer brake are disc and adapt easily to s10 lines also they clear 15" wheels.

Oh, I also have a SN95 8.8 sitting in my shop. I might use that to start since it already has good control arm mount locations built into it, but I want to end up with the 9” for quick gear changes.

Mymonte666 08-06-2018 06:03 PM

The stock computer should do. But personally, i'd run a megasquirt 2 or 3. Way more options, flexibility and not terribly hard to tune.

nickpohlaandp 08-06-2018 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mymonte666 (Post 19944248)
The stock computer should do. But personally, i'd run a megasquirt 2 or 3. Way more options, flexibility and not terribly hard to tune.

Thanks for the direction. I’m not scared of the tuning portion at all, just not really sure what out there anymore. Obviously when you search for stand alone systems the Holley pops up first. I just mentioned it because I’d read about it, I have no experience with it, so it makes no difference to me what system I use. I just want to make sure whatever I use has the capability to do what I want it to do. Hell, the last time I wrote a full tune on something was a turbo small block with a TEC3 when they first came out... does that date me, lol!

nickpohlaandp 08-06-2018 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mymonte666 (Post 19944248)

Will the MS system run my electronic speedo and the 4L80E trans? Also, can you make adjustments to the tune in real time or do you have to log-tune, log-tune, log-tune... ?

Mymonte666 08-07-2018 08:13 AM

It should have no problems running the speedo. As far as the transmission, you'd need a separate unit ( microsquirt to run the trans). On my setup i have the megasquirt running the engine and a stock computer for the trans. Yes you can do real time tuning and auto tuning. You set up yor target afr and the comp will adjust to it and if you like it, you save the changes.

So you have an idea, this is my setup all run by the ms: 427 dart little m. 2x 68mm turbos
16 injectors, running staggered, meth injection. Turbo bypass( the computer will allow me to route all the exhaust to one turbo while launching to build boost quicker, then progressively transition to the other one.
All boost control is done by the ecu, together with traction control. My trans brake is also controlled by the ecu. On cheater mode i use a photocell that will tell the computer when to release the tbrake when the tree changes with hatever delay i program to it. (Not legal) fuel pumps, fans and water pumps for the intercooler is also controlled by the ecu.
The 4l80 runs off the stock computer and is programed with hpt. Just have to feed it 12v, rpm, map, tps and vss and is gtg.

nickpohlaandp 08-07-2018 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mymonte666 (Post 19944674)

Sounds like a sweet setup. It’s definitely more than what I’m planning. At most I’ll have a 2 step, brake, and water/meth on boost over 8psi.

I have the stock computers and harnesses, so using the stock TCU is easy enough. By hpt I’m guessing you’re talking about HP Tuners? Does that communicate with the TCU via the OBDII port? Like I said earlier, I’m not worried about the actual tuning part, I can handle that. What I need to learn about is how to get everything else to work along with it. When I used TEC2’s and TEC3’s there were no “gauges” that I was concerned with running... this part is somewhat new to me. Thanks again, I really appreciate your time.

Mymonte666 08-08-2018 05:05 PM

Ya hp tuners is what i was referring. On you donor car the ecu tcu is the same unit. You woud connect trough the obd port. If you check sloppy mechanics site under cheap tcu it explains in detail how to do it.

nickpohlaandp 08-08-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mymonte666 (Post 19945638)
...On you donor car the ecu tcu is the same unit. You woud connect trough the obd port. If you check sloppy mechanics site under cheap tcu it explains in detail how to do it.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. I probably would’ve searched a bit before Googling that one. For some reason I was sure they were two separate computers. I’ll check out that website. Thanks.