LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   PCM Diagnostics & Tuning (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/)
-   -   Best Book for learning EFI Tuning (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/1909343-best-book-learning-efi-tuning.html)

BadAzzS10 10-28-2018 10:34 AM

Best Book for learning EFI Tuning

What do you guys consider to be the best book on EFI Tuning for someone who has no experience at all? Not getting into specifics like EFILive or HP Tuners, but for just an overall guide on EFI tuning in general.

I'd really like to start digging into this but I need a starting point.

G Atsma 10-28-2018 11:11 AM

Go on Amazon and search for a Greg Banish book called Engine Management Advanced Tuning. It will give you all the basics of EFI tuning.

rpturbo 10-28-2018 04:05 PM

ERM Performance. I bought all the regular crap guys suggested, and learned more from ED's tuning guide (and much cheaper too). Ed is a great guy and can tailor any learning type you need.

BadAzzS10 10-28-2018 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 19993156)
Go on Amazon and search for a Greg Banish book called Engine Management Advanced Tuning. It will give you all the basics of EFI tuning.

Thank you. I placed my order and I'll be reading up on this.

BadAzzS10 10-28-2018 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by rpturbo (Post 19993252)
ERM Performance. I bought all the regular crap guys suggested, and learned more from ED's tuning guide (and much cheaper too). Ed is a great guy and can tailor any learning type you need.

I'll have to keep that in mind. I am always willing to learn new things and I thought that this would be a good start even though I have no F-Body or V8 anything. Just a 2010 Impala that was my grandmothers.

G Atsma 10-28-2018 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by BadAzzS10 (Post 19993378)
Thank you. I placed my order and I'll be reading up on this.

Read this first, as it will give you the basics. Then maybe check into ERM's stuff to expand/enrich what you get from Banish's book. It IS a fascinating subject!

rel3rd 10-29-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by rpturbo (Post 19993252)

Do you happen to have a link you could share?
I looked briefly, and see no mention or offer, on their website, of any tuning guides/books...

I do have the Greg Banish book mentioned, as well as one I like even better, called Master EFI Tuner - GM EFI, by Dan Maslic. It looks like that one is only available as an "E-book" now though. I have the actual paper copy, I'm guessing 1st edition.

I have watched videos with Ed of ERM, and between the very low tone of his voice (ie; mumbling), combined with him talking 150mph, I am totally unable to follow...

BadAzzS10 11-01-2018 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 19993156)

I received the book yesterday and I am already on Chapter 5. Some of the concepts Greg speaks to are a bit over my head bit a re-read or two over those sections should be good get the concepts down. Thanks again for recommending this book.

I may get the DVD series too but I haven't quite decided on that yet.

ddnspider 11-01-2018 06:40 AM

The DVD's were better than the book in my opinion as it was easier to visualize what he was doing. They are worth it. Also there is a book called Master EFI Tuning by Dan Maslic that is also excellent.

G Atsma 11-01-2018 10:16 AM

The book sort of "breaks the ice" to learn about tuning, even though it's already eleven years old. Most of the principles in it still hold true. I had to go thru it a few times to really absorb what is going on, as you have found. But good stuff once you get it!

turbo_bu 11-01-2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ddnspider (Post 19995230)
The DVD's were better than the book in my opinion as it was easier to visualize what he was doing. They are worth it. Also there is a book called Master EFI Tuning by Dan Maslic that is also excellent.

I would also recommend Dan Maslic's book. Greg Banish books are good, but I found Dan's book more useful for tuning LS1's.

ddnspider 11-01-2018 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by turbo_bu (Post 19995355)
I would also recommend Dan Maslic's book. Greg Banish books are good, but I found Dan's book more useful for tuning LS1's.

The big take away I got from Dan's book was on the idle airflow correction tables.

NSFW 11-02-2018 08:27 PM

I'm also a fan of Banish's book.

Fearz 11-08-2018 02:45 PM

Ed (ERM) has great content. His course is well laid out and after reading it I felt a lot more comfortable, He also gives you a couple hours of consultation. I actually had him remote in and he helped me setup my scanner and helped me make sure I was getting data during a hit while I was using a mobile hotspot. Didn't rush me at all and actually talked about how he got into tuning and life stuff. Awesome and knowledgeable guy.

01ssreda4 11-09-2018 09:20 AM

the tuning school books are pretty thorough.

BadAzzS10 11-10-2018 05:43 PM

I will admit, I am somewhat a intermediate, self-taught programmer so this kind of thing intrigues me.

G Atsma 11-10-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BadAzzS10 (Post 19999899)
I will admit, I am somewhat a intermediate, self-taught programmer so this kind of thing intrigues me.

I think it's pretty cool that we're in the age when a car's tune can be changed thru a few keystrokes on a computer, and MUCH more precisely than with a carb and distributor w/ points and condenser.

NSFW 11-10-2018 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by BadAzzS10 (Post 19999899)

Go for it. I sucked at tuning carburetors, but as soon as I got into tuning with a modern car I was finally able to get **** done. If you can write software, I'd wager you have the aptitude, you just need to read up on how fueling and timing work. And knock control. And boost control. And idle control. And... it never really ends but that's 95% of it right there.

rel3rd 11-11-2018 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 19999929)
I think it's pretty cool that we're in the age when a car's tune can be changed thru a few keystrokes on a computer, and MUCH more precisely than with a carb and distributor w/ points and condenser.

Funny you mention that...
Last year, and for 6 years prior, I had a 71 Chevelle SS that I built a 439ci big block for. Low 11 second car with working factory AC. Originally converted to a Fitech throttle body fuel injection, then after experiencing their non-existent customer service several times, sold it and upgraded to a Holley Sniper setup, with a Holley Dual Sync distributor to run ecm controlled timing control with their EFI.

It was great going to race at my local bracket races, sitting there watching the races between my class, instead of messing with jets, and power valves, or playing with timing...heck, was almost boring...lol.

Now, just use my HPTuners to tune and tweak my 2000 TA for those same bracket races, and play with a little nitrous on select test and tuned and private rentals.

G Atsma 11-11-2018 10:01 AM

ALMOST boring... You're thinking, "Gee, I could be getting all dirty changing jets and advance springs, and twisting the distributor around finding the timing sweet spot.... I kinda miss.....NAAAAWWWW!!! "