mpvi2+wideband when????? - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Diablo | Pantera EFI

mpvi2+wideband when?????

Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lsxmalibu View Post
More info on whats needed. What cable....how do you connect the wideband signal output to the usb
I got a serial to usb adapter and a serial cable. Cut the other end off the cable and wire it up to pins 2 and 5 on the serial plug. Serial output of your wideband goes to pin 2 and you ground pin 5.

Add to channels: Commanded AFR, AFR Error, and your Wideband. Then set up graphs for wideband afr and afr error.

If you only have one usb that fine. You just need a usb hub/splitter. If you have the wideband selected from the serial port list it will look for serial data stream on your computer, find t, and log it. Pretty cool actually.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

More info on whats needed. What cable....how do you connect the wideband signal output to the usb
check your private messages malibu
Old 11-05-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Ground offsets with analog are more of an issue than using serial and a cheaper wideband. Once you use serial you wont use analog...We have been using serial for 10+ years.
This!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

My setup is almost identical to what Full-Force is using right down to the same USB to serial converter. I have a few USB converters that get swapped around for various reasons and I use a mini USB hub to connect everything. I've been data logging that way for a few years now and haven't even thought about the ground offset baloney.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I got all my adapters (lol) in today. Soon as I can get out to the car I’m gonna check it out and see if it works.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

aside from the innovate stuff, i've never had an offset problem. I just use the same ground for the wideband as for the obd2 port.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by truckdoug View Post
aside from the innovate stuff, i've never had an offset problem. I just use the same ground for the wideband as for the obd2 port.
same here... it is looking like it is time to swap over soon though to the mpvi2 and bite the bullet
Old 11-12-2018, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hello everyone, here's a post that offers some updates on Pro Feature Set and the Pro Link. The Pro Link will allow you to connect your wideband

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ure-Set-Update
Old 11-12-2018, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Hmm 189.00 bucks to upgrade my current pro to the mpvi2 and get the pro link unit sounds like the way to go.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force View Post
check your private messages malibu
can you send me the same info. Will help me make a decision on what wideband Iím ordering. Thx
Old 11-17-2018, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why cant you take the output at wideband and wire right into a cut usb cable....why the need for serial to usb .....?
Old 11-17-2018, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why cant you take the output at wideband and wire right into a cut usb cable....why the need for serial to usb .....?
I canít get it to work. I hate to post another thread but I just canít get it. I bought a whole new setup because evidently I did something wrong and toasted the controller and I donít want to do it again. I really need this to work.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is the data pathway from wideband to the USB port or minihub connected to a powered USB port on your laptop.

1)The serial end is the output end on either the gauge (AEM) or the controller. You either have to wire it as described or simply plug it in.
2)The other end of the serial cable attaches to a short Serial to USB cable.
3)The USB cable is inserted into a powered USB port on your pc or laptop or powered mini-USB hub.
4) The laptop will read the data transmitted from the wideband thru the serial/USB cable and USB port.

Note: You will have to install the drivers and software for the Serial to USB adaptor first, else your laptop will not recognize the USB cable when it is plugged into the laptop. If you used an extended mini USB hub make sure it is plugged in with an electrical cord. The single USB port on your laptop doesn't supply enough current for all of the USB ports on the mini-hub. Electrical current supplies 5 volts to each USB port on the hub instead - so make sure it is plugged in. Make sure to reboot the pc after the software is installed. Note - for testing only on installation. For mobile use in car - the laptop USB port powers the mini hub.

Plug the USB cable in. Your laptop should display that it just recognized a new device being added. If the drivers and software installed correctly the virtual serial port should display in the list as a virtual serial port from HPT as shown in the screenshot.

Don't even think about cutting the USB cable to try to splice it. They pick up enough interference as it is without trying to cut and splice and damage the protective liner. Run as short a cable as possible. Buy a good cable. If your laptop has 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports, I would used the 2.0 port. Make sure it is powered.
************************************************** ********************************************

Some newer laptops don't have serial ports. By using a USB to serial adapter, you can continue to use your older serial-enabled device through your new computer's USB port. These cables are also referred to as USB to DB9 or or USB to RS-232 cables and are sold at electronics specialty stores.
USB to serial adapters are cables that convert the data sent by a serial-enabled device for use by a USB port (your wideband). The serial end has a DB9 connector, which plugs into the serial device. The USB connector plugs into the computer's USB port or a connected USB hub. The data that are transmitted by the serial device are sent directly to the USB port, where it is passed to software to interpret it.

Each adapter cable is sold with a driver CD, which must be installed before the cable is used. The software creates a virtual serial port. As data are transmitted through the USB port, they come in as a serial signal. The USB port can recognize the information, but can't do anything with it, since it is not a USB signal. The USB port sends the data to the installed software, which searches for the serial data and interprets them for use by other computer programs. When information is sent to the serial device, it performs the same operation in reverse.

Not all serial devices can be used with USB to serial adapters, and some computers do not support the software. Before purchasing a USB to serial adapter, make sure your computer meets the requirements for the adapter's software and try to contact the company to determine if your device is supported.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 02-26-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 11-19-2018, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Ahh I wired this up this weekend and didn't install the adapter for the serial to usb... when I added the channel it just showed up blank lol..... Once I get it squared away I want to upgrade my HP Tuners pro to the new MPVI2 Pro

used this connector to adapt to serial 3 bucks and no soldering.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3123
Old 11-19-2018, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The usb to serial adapter we sell in our online store with hpt works really well. We have used it on 5+ laptops here at the shop and sold a good number of them with no issues. It took trying several adapters before we found this one that works really well.

Full Service LSX Shop
*MAIL ORDER TUNING LINK*
HP Tuners, EFI Live, SCT, Holley, BS3, FAST XFI
Holley Certified Installer & Tuner
MSD, Brian Tooley, HP Tuners, EFI Live, Holley, Edge, Superchips +100's more

Email, Remote, Mail Order, Dyno, Street & Track Tuning
*WEBPAGE* *FACEBOOK* *ONLINE STORE*
Old 11-19-2018, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Correct - some are junk. It's the internals which separate the good guys from the bad guys.

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...d=62&chapter=0
Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Review this link.

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...d=62&chapter=0
Old 11-24-2018, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im using windows 7....do I need hyperterminal for serial connection....?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im using windows 7....do I need hyperterminal for serial connection....?
No - hyperterminal can be used to test/diagnose your connection.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: