Notices
PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Diablo | Pantera EFI

Need a tuner for Mast Motorsports M-90

Old 12-13-2018, 11:58 AM

Default Need a tuner for Mast Motorsports M-90

​​​​​​I am having trouble finding a tuner shop to work on my vehicle. It is a Factory Five GTM. With a 454 LSX iron block crate motor from Mast Motorsports with the M-90 ECM

Right now I need the fuel system changed over to a flex fuel system for E85. I already have a Zex LS perimeter plate Nitrous system installed but never used it. I want to get this thing ready for the half mile and mile events next year. Some tuning needs to be done.

No one wants to work on this car because of this Mast Motorsports ECM! I have tried all of my local shops around N.C. Tick Performance, Vengeance Racing, Heintz Racing, LSXperts, and competition Auto.
Im regretting the hell out of getting a Mast Motorsports crate motor!

I need a reputable full service tuning shop. Someone out there has to have experience working on these ECMs.

Anyone???
Old 12-15-2018, 05:45 PM
8 Second Club

Their crate motors are fine but you need a real controller if you want anybody to touch it. The M-90 is worthless, "tuned" one of them years ago and said never again as it's garbage software, very limited, etc. Put in a GM OE E38 ECM and use a swap harness from somebody like Speartech or PSI Conversion and the sky is the limit.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:29 PM
8 Second Club

I tuned a wannabe monster truck with a Mast crate engine and that ECU.
the tuning software if free. But you need their cable.
The Mast guys we’re helpful if I remember correctly.

But, nothing at all intuitive about the tuning software. I never got the data logger to work. It was basically a nightmare.

I agree with Nic. Also might consider a Holley Dominator system.

Ron
Old 12-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Yeah I got the connection cable. And downloaded the software on a laptop. Familiarize myself with it a bit, but I'm no tuner!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's not an easy tuning software to use IMO. From what I've been told by someone way smarter than me, there are only a few shops that are really good at those ECU's.

We had a car in the shop with it and had all sorts of problems. The shop that built the car(super high dollar) said they've had nothing but problems with the MAST stuff and use Holley EFI now. Of course MAST said they never had any problems....

After being ran around in circles for a couple weeks the customer decided he wanted Holley EFI put on it. So most of the car came apart and a Dominator went in.

There's good reason no one wants to touch it.

If you are determined to keep the MAST ECU. Call MAST and ask them who they recommend to tune it. The list will be short...
Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 AM

Yeah funny thing is I called Mast and asked who they had as certified tuners. I assumed they had some shops that they worked with to educate them on the Mast ECMs.

Nope.... Not one single shop! He started talking about some dude that was moving to my area.... Like I'm just gonna drop my car off with some guy at his house with no insurance!!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 AM
8 Second Club

Looks like a nice car, just go Holley. While you are there I would swap out that Zex kit as well. Be way less hassle in the long run.

Curious why an iron block in what's supposed to be a lightweight car?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:21 AM

I went with the Iron block because I want to go with turbos and way more power than most Aluminum blocks can hold at some point. The Iron block only added about 110lbs over an aluminum LS. And no one ever said it was supposed to be a light car. These cars are what the owner wants them to be. No rules.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:38 AM
Restricted User

Ditch the MAST ECU and replace it with Holley/MS3x/E38 and you could probably throw a rock blindfolded and hit a tuner for them.

Factory aluminum blocks have been like 1400 horsepower with turbo setups, so hopefully you're spraying a BIG shot if you plan on making more than that lol.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:00 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
Ditch the MAST ECU and replace it with Holley/MS3x/E38 and you could probably throw a rock blindfolded and hit a tuner for them.

Factory aluminum blocks have been like 1400 horsepower with turbo setups, so hopefully you're spraying a BIG shot if you plan on making more than that lol.
Gonna need more then a Zex plate for that, maybe he has three of them stacked up! lol

If the plan called for choosing an iron block for big power then a 454 LSX wouldn't be my first or second choice, as you have some thin walls at that bore. I doubt it will hold any much if any more then a Gen4 aluminum block, theres been a few that have blown up well under that power level. Unless maybe he has a tall deck block and was able to choke up on the bore a bit but I don't think they sell that as a crate.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Restricted User

Didn't they fix the early LSX block issues? I remember a bunch of them blowing up. I thought there was a revision at some point to fix the weak areas around the cylinders, unless the revision was the tall deck block.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
Didn't they fix the early LSX block issues? I remember a bunch of them blowing up. I thought there was a revision at some point to fix the weak areas around the cylinders, unless the revision was the tall deck block.
I remember them changing the part number, I thought it was a material change but still didn't recommend big power on the 4.185 bore. I'm sure some do it and its fine but my personal preference when spending $10k+ on a engine would be to start a bit smaller bore for boost. Plus allow room for a refresh if needed.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jason,

From my personal experience, and it's just that, my experience, I would go Holley EFI.

Shoot me a PM if there is anything I can help you with or answer any questions.

I know changing the ECM is a big under taking and I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: