LQ9 6.0 swap from 5.3 runs like a dog - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Diablo | Pantera EFI
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 6.0 swap from 5.3 runs like a dog

Old 12-24-2018, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Default LQ9 6.0 swap from 5.3 runs like a dog

OK headed to see my parents for Holidays and my dad has a 99 RCSB Silverado that had an issue with the 5.3 so he swapped it out for an LQ9 6.0 all stock except he swapped a
Cam Motion 6.0 Stage 1 LS Truck cam:
"High-Lift" Version:
Grind # XA204/325-XA212/325-16+4
Duration at .050 - 204/212
Lift with 1.7 - .553/.553
Lobe separation 116
Intake center line 112

Anyways he's pretty disappointed with how well it's not running, says my 17 Ram Rebel will run circles around him. I have a ton of HP Tuner Credits and thought about seeing what changes can be made to help him. He said the guy that tuned it left everything very conservative Torque Management wise and figured doing some changes it that area would help wake it up.

Anyone have any suggestions??? I'm all ears as to what or where to change or look at. Not looking to do anything too drastic like VE tables or anything like that.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Were the valve springs replaced? This cam has much more lift than the OEM cam the specs of which are- 196/201 deg. duration, .469/.479 lift, 116LSA.
Your Ram Rebel is likely more powerful than your dad's truck even after the engine/cam swap. The Ram has 395HP, and possibly better rear gears, among other things.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
Were the valve springs replaced? This cam has much more lift than the OEM cam the specs of which are- 196/201 deg. duration, .469/.479 lift, 116LSA.
Your Ram Rebel is likely more powerful than your dad's truck even after the engine/cam swap. The Ram has 395HP, and possibly better rear gears, among other things.
Yeah did the recommended spring upgrade from Cam Motion at same time. His guy that put it in his truck has done a lot of swaps but first time using Cam Motion and was sold on them from here on out lol. Was amazed with the quality from Cam Motion, I recommended them based on fellow LS1tech users.
Yeah 395hp with an 8 speed and with 3.92 makes the Rams kind of fun.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

What injectors are in it? Just guessing, but it likely needs a little more fuel mid/ higher rpm, and a splash more low end timing. Without logging, just a guess.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 PM
EWY
Teching In

Post the tune and a datalog. That way we can see what was changed and we can further help you.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ This.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Restricted User

Flash it with a stock 99+ LS1 tune and change the engine size/injector size to match what you're using on the tune. Run 91+ only.
It should pick up considerably using the LS1 timing table with that cam and the ls1 fueling which will be closer to what you need.

If that doesn't help, there is an issue elsewhere.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Truck runs pretty good now, added a couple degrees of timing on the bottom end and a bit more fuel on the top. Truck pulls smoothly with no dead spots now. But WOW regarding him installing a Cam Motion cam as that 6.0 is smoother than a brand new Lexus. I know for sure that if I ever need a new cam hands down calling Cam Motion for a custom grind one.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: