Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help tuning 5.3 in 87 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help tuning 5.3 in 87 Trans Am

I am helping a friend tune the 5.3 we put in his 1987 Trans Am. It's an aluminum block 5.3 with an LS2 cam. The intake is an LS6 with injectors out of a 2004 GTO. It uses a 2000 Camaro wiring harness with a custom-made harness that hooks up to the stock 1987 bulkhead connector and plugs into the 200 Camaro harness. We have a wideband on it. I used these instructions to put the car into speed-density mode for tuning:

HP Tuners Instructions

The PCM has a primary and secondary VE table. From what I understand, when in SD mode, the car should default to the secondary VE table and the low octane timing table. I'm having trouble getting the car to idle correctly. The RPM is consistently high. I made several attempts at changing the secondary VE table. From that, I can get the car to idle lower down and get the AFR ratio (read on a wideband via the EGR PID) down into the range of 13:1. What should I be doing here to get the car driveable in order to carry out the VE tuning?

For right now, we are just looking to get it running normally on an open-loop SD tune. Once things are more buttoned-up, we can go the rest of the way. The car isn't registered and has no cats, so it should be interesting to try to street tune it. We will probably be using some "photos of dead presidents" to make it pass smog, so the farthest we would go is SD closed-loop tuning.