Notices
PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Diablo | Pantera EFI

Considering a HP Tuners MPVI2 for 2001 Camaro SS

Old 02-19-2019, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Default Considering a HP Tuners MPVI2 for 2001 Camaro SS

Never having tuned an engine without a small screwdriver, I am considering buying an HP Tuners MPVI2 and a couple of credits to tune my 2001 Camaro SS. I recently rebuilt the engine myself, but paid a performance shop to dyno-tune my work. I am disappointed with the result. Though I installed new O2 sensors, they went with an "open-loop" tune. Anybody (well, OK, car guys) driving behind me observes that they can smell fuel. I'm getting 18 on the highway, etc. (I'm pretty sure I could coax 18 out of a 600cfm Holley... arrgh.) It did dyno at 362RWHP, to their credit.

The basic build:
A street-able cam...
Comp Cams 54-424-11 grind XR265HR
They say: makes power between 1400 to 6700 RPM
115 lobe separation
212 intake @.050 and 0.558 valve lift
218 exhaust @.050 and 0.563 valve lift

Speed Engineering long tube headers and 3" pipes all the way out the back, stock intake.
Dietsch Werks .35 injectors, etc.

My question is: Should this old FE-block Ford / small block Chevy guy be thinking I can do better than the pros I paid, or is my ego out of check? I feel like I'm back to, "If you want it done right..." Advice?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Databoy View Post
Never having tuned an engine without a small screwdriver, I am considering buying an HP Tuners MPVI2 and a couple of credits to tune my 2001 Camaro SS. I recently rebuilt the engine myself, but paid a performance shop to dyno-tune my work. I am disappointed with the result. Though I installed new O2 sensors, they went with an "open-loop" tune. Anybody (well, OK, car guys) driving behind me observes that they can smell fuel. I'm getting 18 on the highway, etc. (I'm pretty sure I could coax 18 out of a 600cfm Holley... arrgh.) It did dyno at 362RWHP, to their credit.

The basic build:
A street-able cam...
115 lobe separation

Speed Engineering long tube headers and 3" pipes all the way out the back, stock intake.

My question is: Should this old FE-block Ford / small block Chevy guy be thinking I can do better than the pros I paid, or is my ego out of check? I feel like I'm back to, "If you want it done right..." Advice?
You can do better. It's just a matter of alot of reading and asking questions. You have all the time in the world. A tuner has only a few hours with the car. It's pretty much how everyone starts. I never like giving my car to anyone for anything so I always just did things myself. Everyone will tell you the same thing. Read the guides...then reread them. Experiment. Screw it up, repeat.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

The basic build:
A street-able cam...
115 lobe separation

If you still smell heavy fuel then your tuner really isn't at tuner . You just gave them free money on something you could've done better on. If they couldn't take the time to do that simple task then that tells you allot. They are just apart of the new group of lazy Americans who never want to work hard. There are some tunes in the hptuner repository that can give you a starting point from cars with the same mods as yours.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

I think those are respectable numbers for such a mild cam, but your MPG should probably be a little higher. What gear ratio do you have? I'm getting 382 Whp with a bigger cam and head swap. I get 20 mpg on the highway, and about 12 in the city. That's with a stock .323 10-bolt.

I still think you should get the HP Tuners. I just got one, and It's already proven to be useful. I haven't done any actual "tuning" yet, but I have been using the Scanner for troubleshooting. Another benefit of having the program, is that you can do "remote" tuning. You can e-mail run files to a (different) tuner, and they can e-mail you changes back. From there, you just flash the new tune into your car.

Last edited by Utinator; 02-19-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Wow--Thank you all for the awesome advice... every bit of it was helpful.

Utinator, I am also running .323 gears on the stock SS 10 bolt rear end, and a B&M 2400 Hole-shot converter.

I am going to take the plunge into tuning--thanks guys. Experiment. Screw it up, repeat, right?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Experiment. Screw it up, repeat, right?
You mean we ALL don't live this way??? lol

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: