Sponsored by:

408ci TT, thinking of switching intake and TB

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 408ci TT, thinking of switching intake and TB

Hey guys,
I have a fresh iron 408, PRC Stg. 2.5 #317's, turbo cam. 2004 GTO, HPT, TH400.

In the past, I've been able to get a base tune started with the same setup on a 403 and 404 LS2. Only major differences are the Cam, 80lb. Deka injectors and slightly more CI's.

I'll be using LSX Tuning to get me dialed in from Idle to cruise to WOT. Not looking to push more than 91 Octane will allow with a fair sniff of Meth. 99% Street Car but would like
to get a few runs I on the strip for a baseline.

I've been running the Vic Jr with an Aarons Elbow and a 90mm Edlebrock TB. Stock PCM/harness etc... LC1 Wideband always used.

I also have a good used LS6 Intake with aftermarket rails and 60 lb Deka's. Will swap the injectors for the 80's and use the same fuel setup which is dual inline Walbro 255's.

What would you do? Anyone have experience with this scenario? Also leaning towards using the Stock 78mm TB unless most of you think it's a restriction between tip in, spool etc...
I actually think the LS6 might be easier to tune, give me a little more throttle response/torque off the line until the turbo's kick in.

I'm also wondering about the transition from the elbow to the Vic Jr. manifold. The manifold inlet has been milled down in order to make this setup fit under the stock hood. It's a Sharp turn for the air
to flow to the front two cylinders, especially the #1 and #2. Thinking the LS6 will even this out.

And, I can sell of the Vic with rails, fittings, Aarons sheet metal intake and 90mm TB. Plus injectors for a few bucks to put towards tuning and other needed things.

What do you guys think? I'm really hoping some of you tuning guys can help me out. You've tuned a lot of setups including these two, ever noticed any issues between the two?

Thanks for your help all.

Last edited by BlwnLs1GTO; 04-28-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, no responses in a day so I'll bump it up one more time so that it doesn't waste space for too long.

Just looking for anyone who's tuned a similar setup between stock intakes and larger TB's with the Vic Jr. intakes and Aarons elbows.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-03-2019, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

you're over thinking. Run it if your setup is going to be ran above 6500 rpm. If its not, then I suggest keeping a car style intake. This means that you should look into your cam, turbine size in turbo(s), and cubic inches, bore/stroke ratio for your answer.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I think you are on the right track. The single plane intake if you read all the LS intake tests, is only good at the extreme end of the rpm range. If you could fit it under the hood the TBSS intake is better than the LS6.

At any rate, you will gain tq below 5000 with the LS6 intake.

I use the stock TB and am well into the 8’s. I don’t think it’s a restriction. And is for sure easy to tune. Some big TB’s are a pain in the ***!

Go for it and have fun!

Ron
Old 05-05-2019, 03:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

You are worrying about the wrong end of your car. Any of the above ideas will easily overpower most GTO drivetrain options. Power is no good if it only makes noise. The difference between spinning your tires with 800hp or 1500hp is only measured in dollars, not timeslips.