LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   PCM Diagnostics & Tuning (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/)
-   -   HP Tuners - Video Guides (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/1919491-hp-tuners-video-guides.html)

ChopperDoc 05-02-2019 05:22 PM

HP Tuners - Video Guides

4 Attachment(s)
I am making this thread to consolidate my growing YouTube presence and to make the videos easier to find and reference. I take no credit or self promote in any way as I believe these are a culmination or knowledge I have learned from the entire community. People like Marcin (redhardsupra), Bluecat, Ed M (RIP), ddnspider, Darth V8r, JakeFusion, DSteck, eficalibrator (Greg Banish) and many more have taught me more than I could ever thank them for. Sorry if I left some of you out. PM's are free...

I consider this all a team effort, to conquer and crack the codes of the programming and then some. To find the best ways to do this stuff, and share it with like minded folks.

If there is a mistake in any of the guides posted, please, feel free to post here and correct me. I am always learning and accepting of new ideas. Tuning is not a stone cold set of rules, but rather an art. Please feel free to share your experiences and correct anything I might have wrong here, and share if something works better for you.

This thread will be updated with new videos regularly as I post them to YouTube. Subscribe there or here. I would like to share as much as I can with the community, save some engines, and make some folks happy in their ventures.

1. Introduction:

2. VE Tuning:

3. Setting MAF Baseline (in SD):

4. MAF Tuning:

5. Idle Tuning:

6. Cylinder Airmass Explained:

7. IAC Tuning:

8. End Of Injection Explained (EOIT):

9. Don't Touch That Boost Controller Until You Know This:

10. Logging Data with MPVI STANDARD - AFR, LAMBDA, and MORE - Inputs Guide:

11. Slick Tricks - MEASURING ACCELERATION RATE in HPT Scanner (ALL YEARS AND MAKES):

12. Boost Tune Setup Gen III:

13. Tune Scaling Part 1 of 3 - Scaling 101 - The Basics:

14. Tune Scaling Part 2 of 3 - Engine Tables:

15. Tune Scaling Part 3 of 3 - Transmission:

All new videos will be added to this thread. That doesn't mean you don't have to subscribe on YouTube though. Help a brother out. These take tons of time to make folks.

SCALING CALCULATOR

G Atsma 05-02-2019 05:36 PM

Mods- HEAR, HEAR!!

5.7stroker 05-02-2019 05:40 PM

Thanks for these! Will definitely check these out.

ChopperDoc 05-02-2019 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 20089867)
Mods- HEAR, HEAR!!

I love it how you always have my back. Thanks brother.

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker (Post 20089870)
Thanks for these! Will definitely check these out.

Hopefully you like the videos. I put a lot of time into these to be as comprehensive and accurate as possible. I have more coming... Next is physics and lots of math. However that stuff is kind of important if you REALLY want to understand what you're actually doing. I'm trying the "step back" approach now, and trying to convey the overall concept, well beyond the "introduction" and tables. Basically, it's all about airmass, and I am covering the crap out of that lol.

Later guides will include some things on Idle Tuning, scanner setup, more math and so on. I will be asking for input there on the idle one (help from the community) as it is NOT an easy thing to tackle. There is no magic recipe for that, trust me. That's why I don't want to make a guide that leads people astray there, and rather a guide that helps understand it, and let people figure it out and understand it better. I think that's better for that because idle tuning sucks so much, especially with huge cams.

G Atsma 05-02-2019 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc (Post 20089894)
I love it how you always have my back. Thanks brother.

Any time, man! Also, thank you for your service to our country!

5.7stroker 05-02-2019 08:33 PM

Speed density tuning FTW!

G Atsma 05-02-2019 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker (Post 20090002)
Speed density tuning FTW!

With a wide-band on the job full-time, YES! Otherwise, MAF wins.

joyridin' 05-03-2019 07:08 AM

Thanks for all your hard work on these! For some of us, this makes it a lot easier.

ChopperDoc 05-03-2019 01:06 PM

Thank you all for the kind responses. I just added a new video: Cylinder Airmass Explained. I hope you guys like it. I'm the type that needs to know the "why" to everything, which has led me to learn that after lots of research and putting 2 and 2 together.

mcdonald77 05-04-2019 11:44 AM

I really appreciate the time you took to make these. I used Hptuners 2.0 for a while. When they updated the layout, I panicked and am still a little intimidated by it. I have watched the videos, now I need to get it going again!

ChopperDoc 05-04-2019 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by mcdonald77 (Post 20090697)
I really appreciate the time you took to make these. I used Hptuners 2.0 for a while. When they updated the layout, I panicked and am still a little intimidated by it. I have watched the videos, now I need to get it going again!

I enjoy helping folks out. I'm glad you liked them. Just posted a new one, EOIT explained.

G Atsma 05-04-2019 12:39 PM

If someone doesn't make this thread a sticky, something is SERIOUSLY wrong!
Mods- If there is a reason this should not or cannot be made a sticky, please state that reason here, so that mystery will end.

ChopperDoc 05-04-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 20090717)
If someone doesn't make this thread a sticky, something is SERIOUSLY wrong!

YouTube is the devil, apparently. As I keep adding videos I'll just keep bumping it, so meh. Get lots more to do, and even getting requests as well for specific videos. I still need to make a few of those already, now I'm already behind lol.

Drj8787 05-05-2019 09:52 AM

In the EOIT video where did the 784 come from?

ChopperDoc 05-05-2019 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Drj8787 (Post 20091038)
In the EOIT video where did the 784 come from?

It's the cycle + MAX spark range. Meaning the most it could be retarded is 656*... Here is Bluecats research on it, since he was the first one to figure this out for us. The numbers check out.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...797#post238797

ChopperDoc 05-05-2019 10:28 AM

Look under the table Cranking Spark and note that the max range is -64 to 64. So this number actually makes sense.

AndyTA 05-07-2019 08:58 AM

This stuff is GOLD. How is this not ALREADY sticky'd? MODS?

5.7stroker 05-07-2019 02:23 PM

Can’t wait to see more! ChopperDoc, where are you located?

When I first got my car, it already was modded with cam, heads, intake, etc. There was an irractic idle so I found the original tuner and had him look at it. He couldn’t understand why when the TB was closed, that HP tuners was saying that it was open (voltage wasn’t showing 0) First we tried a new TPS sensor, then a new TB, still no luck. It never occurred to him to adjust the throttle cable and as soon as I ditched the cruise control and installed a new single throttle cable and adjusted it, I was able to get the voltage in HP tuners to show 0 when the TB was closed. Just goes to show how easy it is to over look something even by someone that had tuned 1000+ 4th gens. Every detail is important and I appreciate the great detail being provided in these vids. Car has since been tuned by another reputable tuner using SD and the irratic idle was gone. However, my fuel mileage is horrible so I’d like to better understand what is causing that to be so bad.

ChopperDoc 05-07-2019 03:55 PM

Lean cruise is a setup you can run in SD mode, since the PCM won't try and correct fueling "errors" as the O2's would indicate. The other thing would be making sure DFCO is ON. As in decel fuel cut off. This and leaning out the cruise areas will make a good difference in gas mileage. Also, push PE enable back to the "hump" on your VE table. That's where the PCM is calculating the most air (load) in the cylinders. Before this is just not necessary really. If you look at the 3D graph of your VE, you should see a "hump" or a solid increase in airflow around 2500 to 4000 rpm, all dependent on cam. This is also the area spark should drop off into the "valley" on that table, and also where PE should start adding fuel. If it is before this for some reason, fuel mileage will suck.

In all honesty, fuel mileage on a heavily modified high horsepower build often sucks, and that is usually my goal to make it suck more. I figure so long as my if my AFR is right, I'm making more power. It's not a bad idea to consider buying a second car as a daily to allow for more mods to your toys. Few thousand bucks can get you a car with great mileage, or you can buy a set of heads or something for your toy and suffer in the long run. Other benefits to a second car as a daily are you can put your toy down for long periods for more mods. Say you want to just rebuild the engine for no particular reason? You're not getting that done right in a weekend brother. I had an old roommate that only had his Camaro as a daily. Let's just say it was funny watching him trying to do mods in 2 days every time when he knew he had to drive it on Monday. I was too busy playing COD Black Ops at the time to help him out more than showing him how to find TDC and stuff like that. He did pay me $200 to swap out some tie rods, which I accepted no problem, obviously. LOL.

The other option on the mechanical side beyond tuning is boost. That will get you around more efficiently for sure, make more power with less RPM and so forth. But that's like at least 3 or 4 beater Hondas, Toyotas, Cobalts, etc to buy the parts and so forth. That and if you don't have the second car, you'll be down a minute installing that too.

If it makes you feel better, my Camaro gets about 14 MPG, ish. And I have to run 93, no exceptions. LOL.

I'm really glad you like the videos, and there will be more. Working on a way to calculate bias corrections, and I do have the math worked out. Just don't have a car to experiment on at the moment since I'm overseas again, which ironically gives me the time to work on tuning stuff, with nothing to tune. So currently I am in the Middle East doing 'merica stuff with a black passport.

ChopperDoc 05-07-2019 04:03 PM

If you have HPT you can give this math a try in the scanner. I saw it on a HPT forum a long time ago and added it for no particular reason to my scanner. I have still yet to use it (since I honestly don't care about mileage with my toys lol), but here is the math anyway...

English version:

MPH/((IFR*0.132276)*IPW*RPM*8/(6175*((((IAT+ECT/2)+273.15)/299.8167)))

Input version (if your PCM supports these channels, which vary)

[50020.114]/(([6210.72]*0.132276)*[50112.254]*[50070.56]*8/(6175*(((([50011.242]+[50010.242]/2)+273.15)/299.8167)))

You can give that a try if you're making your own tunes and see if you can get the mileage better by leaning out the cruise areas and so forth.