Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98-411 pcm plug n play option

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 98-411 pcm plug n play option

Is there a market or need for a 98-411 pcm plug n play option? If there is a big enough demand we plan on going forward on bringing this to market. You would unplug your 98 pcm and plug our modified 411 pcm right into your 98 harness and then your done.
The following 2 users liked this post by LSX Power Tuning:
GrannySShifting (07-09-2020), Knightmare1981 (09-29-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 that I’m probably going to end up doing the 411 on since I’m slapping a turbo on it and the 98 only does 1bar Sd os.

My question would be price point. If a guy can buy a plug in play for the same cost it would take to buy a pcm and the labor of redoing the pin out. Which I would do myself. I’d be doing the plug in play for sure.

What kind of price point do you do you think it would be?
Old 05-08-2019, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

I did mine already... Good times

The following users liked this post:
floridave (10-13-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

@LSX Power Tuning I did respond to a guy asking about swapping his harness earlier today. He said he has PCM issues, and that he wants to upgrade. I told him it's way easier to swap the PCM itself instead of the harness, provided the PCM is actually the problem. Hopefully he sees this thread...

I think if you guys could do this for cheap on your side, there might be a bit of a market for it, but hard to say. It depends on how much you want to invest into it. MRK motorsports is the competition in this case as he is the guy that provides all the pinouts and PCM's. He doesn't have great customer service however, so, there's that. It's hard to reach him by phone even during work hours. Cool dude, but if you guys are serious, could be some market here. Tough to say. I just don't know the demand side.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, you can use that ratnest nightmare as advertising if you want... Just put some words on that picture like "Avoid this nightmare, buy our modified PCM."

You totally have my approval for that... LOL.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Id be on board for this seeing how my 98 sits motionless in the garage. I have a 411 pcm but the time is lacking for a day to rewire and work out any bugs. If there was just an easy swap, I'd buy it now!!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Chopper doc, did you have to lengthen any wires? that's been an answer I've been searching for.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Pretty sure I had to lengthen a few, but not as many as are listed on the swap sheets. If you pull them out of the main wiring bundle you can get a bit more slack out by just giving it a straighter run to the connector.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wheeljunky
Chopper doc, did you have to lengthen any wires? that's been an answer I've been searching for.
Yes, I had to lengthen a few. Some of that was my own doing because I completely redid my harness and ran the plugs under the fender too (the eyesore ones that sit on the top typically). I have a nice set of ratcheting crimpers and the micro un-shielded butt connectors 18-22 ga. I crimp those on and put heat shrink over top. It's how we do it on aircraft too, in non heat applications. For that you need better heat shrink or sleeving, like AN hose, but nothing in there gets hot enough to really be an issue. Down by the headers does though.

Last edited by ChopperDoc; 05-11-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is my thread on it with some more pics as far as cleaning up the harness goes. The insanity is real when you start doing wire deletes, and relocations of stuff. There are actually few spots you can see extensions before I sealed them up.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...my-sunday.html

More pictures for you to use LSX for advertising this awesome sounding project lol. I think if the cost is good then totally worth it, as I believe a lot of guys would prefer to avoid all this. However, some of the crazier ones will probably still tackle it if the cost of a different 0411 is low enough. I don't know honestly. There are quite a few of us that have done it already though, hard to say how many more there are since we kind of live in an echo chamber here when it gets that detailed into the technical side.

There are a few in this thread so far that sound interested though.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

The pricing would be determined how big of batch we make on the first run. There is a ridiculous amount of engineering that goes into making it a plug n play. The concept has been done already and have working pcms already for another application in many vehicles. Its too early to know pricing yet but purely guessing around $400-$600 range for the plug n play pcm with a base tune for a 98 with the 411 pcm. Custom tuning will be available of course as an option. The pcm will be able to be tuned like any other 411 pcm with tuning software.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I rewired my own but it's sloppy wiring looks like a bird nest. I had to go back and reseal all pins with sealant do to water issues. If there was a plug n play option I would have went that way.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
The pricing would be determined how big of batch we make on the first run. There is a ridiculous amount of engineering that goes into making it a plug n play. The concept has been done already and have working pcms already for another application in many vehicles. Its too early to know pricing yet but purely guessing around $400-$600 range for the plug n play pcm with a base tune for a 98 with the 411 pcm. Custom tuning will be available of course as an option. The pcm will be able to be tuned like any other 411 pcm with tuning software.
Do you have an estimated time to when you might do the first batch? I'd be willing to send my 411 to you so its one less core to find.
I really don't want to hack up my harness if not absolutely needed.
I hope you can make this product work. I'm sure there are many of us in the same situation.. Damn 98s!!!
Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wheeljunky
Do you have an estimated time to when you might do the first batch? I'd be willing to send my 411 to you so its one less core to find.
I really don't want to hack up my harness if not absolutely needed.
I hope you can make this product work. I'm sure there are many of us in the same situation.. Damn 98s!!!
So far knock on wood cores arent an issue. It will be atleast a few months...Once I get one finished I have to put it in a car and do real world testing. We are 99% sure everything will work since its been already done with another platform and we are using the same technology and transferring it to the 98.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Sign me up.

It has always been my opinion that an adapter of some type that mounts or plugs directly onto the 411 PCM and that the stock 98 harness plugs into directly is the way too go. This solution eliminates messing with and perhaps damaging the very brittle 98 harness that is now 20 years old.

Simple - indeed - if you have found a way. I have searched for hours and days, but have never found the plug to accomplish that method.

Finally - after all of these years waiting. Hope that you move forward with this project.

If there is some assurance of getting into the first group and also getting money back if the project fails - would be willing to make a deposit.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I might be interested in one, been flip-flopping on doing this the last few months. Wasn't looking fwd to the spaghetti if I did it. Esp in the hot AZ sun..
Old 05-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Hope you can make it happen. Totally down for this. Sign me up.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sign me up I will buy one
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Sign me up.

It has always been my opinion that an adapter of some type that mounts or plugs directly onto the 411 PCM and that the stock 98 harness plugs into directly is the way too go. This solution eliminates messing with and perhaps damaging the very brittle 98 harness that is now 20 years old.

Simple - indeed - if you have found a way. I have searched for hours and days, but have never found the plug to accomplish that method.

Finally - after all of these years waiting. Hope that you move forward with this project.

If there is some assurance of getting into the first group and also getting money back if the project fails - would be willing to make a deposit.
Its not an adapter plug like your thinking, we actually modify the 411 pcm internally (move pins around with a custom board) and then it plugs straight into the 98 harness.
The following users liked this post:
floridave (10-13-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Thank for the reply.

Your modification sounds even better.

Please sign me up for the first batch. If you want a deposit - let me know.

Quick Reply: 98-411 pcm plug n play option