PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuners. Any ideas to log fuel pump voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default HPTuners. Any ideas to log fuel pump voltage?

Hey guys like the title states I am trying to think of a way to log voltage to my fuel pump with hptuners. I am using a P01 0411 pcm and hptuners vcm pro. Long story short ive had 4 fuel pumps (about to be 5) on my swap in the 3 years of life.

The first 2 pretty sure was due to not having a tank vent. But the last 2 I'm leaning more towards voltage inconsistencies killing them. I am now running a completely waterproof relay and connector, good wire, and all the connections are soldered.

I know i could just wire a voltage gauge to it, but it would be really sweet to be able to log the Volts going to the pump. But I believe all the sensors are 5 volt as is the hptuners pro eio. Anybody got any ideas of how to do this? Or am I just being crazy lol

Edit should have added I am already logging fuel pressure through the fuel tank pressure signal. Just trying to have more data to look at.

Last edited by Lsxford; 05-23-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

A simple voltage divider will work.
2 resistors, 200 and 100 ohms in series.
Top of the 200 goes to the pump power lead,
The middle lead goes to your interface.
The bottom of the 100 to ground.

With 15v at the pump, HPT will report 5v.
Do the math in the scanner (x3) and it will show actual voltage at the pump.

Ron
Old 05-26-2019, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

You should only need to log things that change. If you have proper wiring to your pump this should never be an issue. Using adequate electrical wiring and connections to your pump would be much easier than properly wiring a way to log the voltage. Long story short, if you can't trust your wiring to deliver voltage to your pump, how would you ever trust that your log of said voltage is accurate?
Old 05-26-2019, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the replys guys. Game that makes slot of sense. I think I found my biggest issue, being my pump was sitting a few inches above my trans cooler. 180 degree heat radiating to the pump can't be helping, so I moved my cooler to the front.

In other news I installed the new aem 400 pump, damn thing won't hum, rattle, or nothing. Just gets blazing got in a few seconds. It does have good power and ground, and the pump I removed worked fine except for wot at timeswould do this.

Fuel pressure is the orange in the second row.

Thinking about it it seemed to get worse the longer it ran. So the trans cooler heat I feel could be the culprit.