PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to use Truck E38 w/ LS3 -- Throttle body settings?

Old 06-15-2019, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Trying to use Truck E38 w/ LS3 -- Throttle body settings?

I'm trying to use an E38 ECU/TCM from a 2008 Yukon XL LY6 to power up a 2010 LS3.

Should I copy over all "Electronic Throttle" settings from an LS3 Tune to my ECU?

If so, I'm hitting a weird issue.. On "Desired Throttle Area" my 'Axis Type' was set to VSS. No LS3 tunes I see had this set, as they were all set to RPM instead of VSS.

Even if I change it to RPM, if I open up the "Map A - Normal" charts, I believe the axis is still using VSS units on the column.. as they are like "0..5..10.." etc. Where the LS3 tune has actual RPMs

Tune attached. Also, I can't find any LS3 tunes running my OS of 12608677.. Edit: When I google this OS, I see it is from 2007... Is this even possible or did I shoot myself in the foot using this ECU?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
1970 Cutlass LS3 60E Rev1.hpt (955.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guess no one knows? I kept the stock values in the electronic throttle tables - that were from the 08 Yukon throttle body. It starts and drives ok, but when you initially start it the idle dips real low but then bounces to normal. Not sure if the throttle body tables are to blame or not
Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the throttle is working, then it seems like your throttle tables are fine. I would venture to guess the startup dip you mentioned is either crank fueling, crank throt pos, or startup decay.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

The tune file you posted looks a lot more like an L99 instead of an LS3. Only say this because it has DOD enabled, VVT, and the VVE table has all the settings applied for different conditions. If that LS3 you have has these features then rock on, but normally that is the huge difference between the two, and what makes one an LS3 and the other an L99.

Here is a stock tune file from a 2014 Camaro SS with an LS3, manual trans. The autos came with the L99 and all that DOD stuff and VVT. The manuals have the true LS3 with none of that. You can see some of the differences in the tune file here. I will add though, keep in mind this file is for manual cars, so some of the airflow and so forth is going to be set lower and so on, particularly the Base Running Airflow table as one example.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
STOCK TUNE.hpt (730.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by ChopperDoc; 06-18-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

In your file it does have the VVT disabled, but DOD is still on, and if you look at the VVE on the different tunes, you'll see the one I posted has no changes other than manifold switch open and closed. Cam angle is not applicable either so you will see playing with the numbers on that one changes nothing. On yours it indeed changes and seems like it came from an L99 and not LS3 like I said. And 2007 is possible, as that's when all of this stuff started, same year the LS3 came out.. ish
Old 06-19-2019, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
The tune file you posted looks a lot more like an L99 instead of an LS3. Only say this because it has DOD enabled, VVT, and the VVE table has all the settings applied for different conditions. If that LS3 you have has these features then rock on, but normally that is the huge difference between the two, and what makes one an LS3 and the other an L99.

Here is a stock tune file from a 2014 Camaro SS with an LS3, manual trans. The autos came with the L99 and all that DOD stuff and VVT. The manuals have the true LS3 with none of that. You can see some of the differences in the tune file here. I will add though, keep in mind this file is for manual cars, so some of the airflow and so forth is going to be set lower and so on, particularly the Base Running Airflow table as one example.
Thanks for the reply Chopper. Yeah this one was a little odd. It is an LS3 w/ a 4L60E, so I was grabbing values from an L99 since the engine is paired w/ an automatic. Looks like I need to do some more work on it and use the LS3 values instead. I could have sworn I disabled DOD. Thanks big time! I'm hoping this is why the engine is having an issue at initial startup (idle drops real low, but then goes back to normal)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
In your file it does have the VVT disabled, but DOD is still on, and if you look at the VVE on the different tunes, you'll see the one I posted has no changes other than manifold switch open and closed. Cam angle is not applicable either so you will see playing with the numbers on that one changes nothing. On yours it indeed changes and seems like it came from an L99 and not LS3 like I said. And 2007 is possible, as that's when all of this stuff started, same year the LS3 came out.. ish
Hey Chopper, DOD is set to disable, and Variable camshaft is set to 'none'. Shouldn't those two things disable DOD and VVT?

Also, something also that is weird on this LS3 tune is the injector flow rate vs pressure is set to the same # across all pressure values, like as if it was a vacuum referenced regulator. Weird. I definitely need to change that
Old 06-22-2019, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
Hey Chopper, DOD is set to disable, and Variable camshaft is set to 'none'. Shouldn't those two things disable DOD and VVT?
Yes that is correct.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Yes he is correct. Sorry for not responding sooner. Yeah all you have to do is set the drop down to disabled and set the cam to none. Your cam is already set that way but when I looked at it DOD was on. Might cause issues, might not. Computers can be weird like that sometimes. I'll bet most of it is in the other tables though.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was simply saying that your tune looks like it came from an L99, that's all. The settings in the file I posted should help you sort it out. That's where I would start anyway. When you start messing with coefficients, and MAP areas and definitions, things get tricky and math-ie... LOL. Best just try some of those stock settings from a true LS3 file.

Search this Thread