Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank/Distributor Signal-LS1 PCM on Gen 1 SBC

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Crank/Distributor Signal-LS1 PCM on Gen 1 SBC

Like the title says, I'm looking for information on how to get a correct crank signal out of a 400CI SBC engine that has a standard HEI distributor on it. We have swapped in a 2007 4L80E, and we have wired up a 411 PCM out of a 2001 Chevrolet truck. I have ALL of the wiring figured out and everything is run correctly. I simply need to know how to resolve the Crank position signal situation.

I've heard that I can run a early 2000's Vortec Van (that came with Gen. 1 small block and 4L80E) tune to resolve this.

I have HP Tuners and can do that if that is all I need to do. I was concerned however, that the newer Vortec engine, and tune, will require a 24X signal that the 2000's distributors will have inside. Obviously, the HEI does not have that.. Or does it?

Questions;
1. Does anyone have a early 2000's tune file that I can license and write into this PCM and make it all work? I have not looked at the tune repository yet but will look there in case nobody has one of these files available.
2. Does anyone know if the HEI will work in this configuration?
3. Are there signal conditioners that can be added to convert the signal coming out of the HEI to something that the LS1 PCM will recognize? I know that TCI EZ-TCU was an option (but we wanted to try and keep it all GM for the programming aspects, and also for the CHECK ENGINE light capability). Anyway, the TCI units come with something in the box that can be used to convert the distributor signal. Maybe I can call those guys and inquire what those pieces do actually.. Maybe just purchasing one of those devices from them can allow the HEI to work..

Please let me know if I have over-looked anything, or if there is an easier way to do this that I have not thought of.

We have a CHECK ENGINE light wired up and will turn off all codes except those for TPS, CKP, and trans. related codes. Will also disable VATS.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What about using aftermarket externally mounted CKP fm MSD?
Old school crank triggers?