PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just received hptuners, can anyone Take a look at my custom tune?

Old 10-09-2020, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just received hptuners, can anyone Take a look at my custom tune?

Okay, so I just received hptuners. I had my car "professionally" dyno tuned a while back but I remember the guy was in a bit of a hurry doing it and I noticed some red flags when he was tuning it which makes me wonder. I'm a noob to all this so I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here.

My car is a 2005 gto, completely stock ls2 engine, flex fuel, D1sc procharger, longtube headers, aftermarket exhaust, boost referenced fuel regulator, speed density tune. Made 540whp on e85 at the time of the tune which was with 8psi of boost. Since then I have bumped it up to 10psi but haven't made any changes to the tune yet.

Whenever the tuner was tuning it, it made 490whp on 93 octane. However, after we switched to e85 and did another run, it still made only 490whp. He almost gave up and said I don't know why it's not making more power on e85, then later he decides to try something else and then it makes 540whp. After he's done tuning everything, which at this point he's in a hurry since he has someone else waiting in the waiting room for their scheduled tune, he asks me if I ever plan on using gas and advises me to stick to e85 whenever possible.
I'm looking at the file on hptuners and I notice in the spark tables for flex fuel, gas, Alcohol, he has nothing entered. Kinda makes me think he set the spark advance to be the same whether it be e85 or 93, but what do I know, I just looked at this stuff yesterday for the first time? If this is the case, my guess is he couldn't get the flex fuel spark table to work correctly so he used a band aid fix.

Here are the files, the first one is my tune and the 2nd is from the hptuner's samples folder which appears to be from a stock gto for reference if needed.

Attached Files
File Type: hpt
gto speed density tune.hpt (435.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 338 Likes on 232 Posts

Did you have a flex fuel sensor setup installed? The later (GENIV) truck models have an algorithm to run a "virtual sensor" where the PCM senses a "fill up" and then estimates a change in alcohol content. But the GENIIIs require an actual sensor to be hooked up and enabled.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 68Formula
Did you have a flex fuel sensor setup installed? The later (GENIV) truck models have an algorithm to run a "virtual sensor" where the PCM senses a "fill up" and then estimates a change in alcohol content. But the GENIIIs require an actual sensor to be hooked up and enabled.
Yes, I have a flex fuel gm sensor installed and wired up.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 05silgto
Yes, I have a flex fuel gm sensor installed and wired up.
I can help you out
Old 10-10-2020, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Okay, so I just received hptuners. I had my car "professionally" dyno tuned a while back but I remember the guy was in a bit of a hurry doing it and I noticed some red flags when he was tuning it which makes me wonder. I'm a noob to all this so I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here.

My car is a 2005 gto, completely stock ls2 engine, flex fuel, D1sc procharger, longtube headers, aftermarket exhaust, boost referenced fuel regulator, speed density tune. Made 540whp on e85 at the time of the tune which was with 8psi of boost. Since then I have bumped it up to 10psi but haven't made any changes to the tune yet.

Whenever the tuner was tuning it, it made 490whp on 93 octane. However, after we switched to e85 and did another run, it still made only 490whp. He almost gave up and said I don't know why it's not making more power on e85, then later he decides to try something else and then it makes 540whp. After he's done tuning everything, which at this point he's in a hurry since he has someone else waiting in the waiting room for their scheduled tune, he asks me if I ever plan on using gas and advises me to stick to e85 whenever possible.
I'm looking at the file on hptuners and I notice in the spark tables for flex fuel, gas, Alcohol, he has nothing entered. Kinda makes me think he set the spark advance to be the same whether it be e85 or 93, but what do I know, I just looked at this stuff yesterday for the first time? If this is the case, my guess is he couldn't get the flex fuel spark table to work correctly so he used a band aid fix.

Here are the files, the first one is my tune and the 2nd is from the hptuner's samples folder which appears to be from a stock gto for reference if needed.
this tune is jacked up and not in speed density. This is a maf tune
Old 10-10-2020, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by andy burdess
I can help you out
Thanks, from what I can see so far and from what I've possibly learned since my initial post, it seems as though he zeroed all the spark advance tables under gas, flex fuel, etc. Looks like he put the spark advance in the high octane tables.
So, if I'm correct, The flex fuel sensor itself won't change spark but rather the low octane table when knock starts to occur from using regular gas.
If this is in fact true, Is this bad for the engine?
Old 10-10-2020, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

this tune is jacked up and not in speed density. This is a maf tune
No, this is a sd tune or it wouldn't work at all in the higher rpms. The stock maf will fail with boost and cannot calculate that much airflow, Somewhere in the tune he entered a value to cause the maf to fail, I would have to look again to find it.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

No, this is a sd tune or it wouldn't work at all in the higher rpms. The stock maf will fail with boost and cannot calculate that much airflow, Somewhere in the tune he entered a value to cause the maf to fail, I would have to look again to find it.
maf only my friend it’s not in dynamic airflow at all. Who did it? It doesn’t even have the 2 bar os applied. High and low octane tables were the same as well. I’m not sure why he didn’t add some ignition on the flex table and default fail frequency is 70 percent which is not what I would do either.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

maf only my friend it’s not in dynamic airflow at all. Who did it? It doesn’t even have the 2 bar os applied. High and low octane tables were the same as well. I’m not sure why he didn’t add some ignition on the flex table and default fail frequency is 70 percent which is not what I would do either.
It seems you may be right, he has the maf freq. patched to 15,000hz which appears would prevent the stock maf from maxing out. Looks like I'm going to have to contact my tuner, I bet he forgot that I told him I wanted a sd tune, let me try to find the cost for this in my records and see if that price reflects this. This tune was years ago so hopefully I can get some type of refund or compensation at this point.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

It seems you may be right, he has the maf freq. patched to 15,000hz which appears would prevent the stock maf from maxing out. Looks like I'm going to have to contact my tuner, I bet he forgot that I told him I wanted a sd tune, let me try to find the cost for this in my records and see if that price reflects this. This tune was years ago so hopefully I can get some type of refund or compensation at this point.
I help a lot of people out and if interested I can dial it in for you. Sucks some guys aren’t honest about how they do it.
The following users liked this post:
Tramminc (10-15-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

So, since the value in the high octane and low octane spark tables are the same does this mean I have the same spark regardless of fuel? Looks like there is a lot of spark advance added vs stock in these tables.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

So, since the value in the high octane and low octane spark tables are the same does this mean I have the same spark regardless of fuel? Looks like there is a lot of spark advance added vs stock in these tables.
yes. There is no difference you are correct. He’s relying on knock sensors to pull timing
Old 10-10-2020, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

yes. There is no difference you are correct. He’s relying on knock sensors to pull timing
Thanks, but what about Multi vs. Composition. "[ECM] 12636 - PE/COT Spark Advance Correction Mult vs. Fuel Composition: The multiplier is used to modify the PE/COT Spark and Flex Fuel Spark in relation to fuel composition." Looks like he has some values listed here which is zeroed out in a stock tune. Wouldn't this change spark in relation to ethanol percentage?
Old 10-10-2020, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, but what about Multi vs. Composition. "[ECM] 12636 - PE/COT Spark Advance Correction Mult vs. Fuel Composition: The multiplier is used to modify the PE/COT Spark and Flex Fuel Spark in relation to fuel composition." Looks like he has some values listed here which is zeroed out in a stock tune. Wouldn't this change spark in relation to ethanol percentage?
it would if there was spark on the flex fuel spark table but it’s zeroed out
Old 10-10-2020, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

it would if there was spark on the flex fuel spark table but it’s zeroed out
Gotcha thanks. I believe when he added spark advance to the flex fuel tables the car made the same amount of power as with 93. I guess he ended up adding those values to the high octane table to see if it would fix it. With a little research i found this:
"FWIW, I had a 06 Vette that we put a D1SC, flex fuel sensor, E85, etc, etc.

When adding the additional timing for the E85 in the "Flex Fuel spark table" it would show the timing in the log but I believe it wasn't actually adding it.

The reason I say this is if I put the added timing in the high octane table I would see an increase in power, if I add it in the flex fuel spark table(and take it out of the high octane table" I'd loose a bunch of power.

Was I adding it in the wrong table?"

Looks to be a common issue with the E40 ECU. Explains why he zeroed out the flex fuel table, still he could have at least put lower values in the low octane table.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Gotcha thanks. I believe when he added spark advance to the flex fuel tables the car made the same amount of power as with 93. I guess he ended up adding those values to the high octane table to see if it would fix it. With a little research i found this:

When adding the additional timing for the E85 in the "Flex Fuel spark table" it would show the timing in the log but I believe it wasn't actually adding it.

The reason I say this is if I put the added timing in the high octane table I would see an increase in power, if I add it in the flex fuel spark table(and take it out of the high octane table" I'd loose a bunch of power.

Looks to be a common issue with the E40 ECU. Explains why he zeroed out the flex fuel table, still he could have at least put lower values in the low octane table.
he should have dialed in 93 and then dialed in flex. I’ve never had the issue of the computer not adding in the flex timing unless something wasn’t configured right. I dial pump safely then push harder on e with timing from the flex table.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

he should have dialed in 93 and then dialed in flex. I’ve never had the issue of the computer not adding in the flex timing unless something wasn’t configured right. I dial pump safely then push harder on e with timing from the flex table.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

I believe that's what he did at first but there was no increase in power. These ecu's came with a flex fuel table but was never implemented in stock form. Sounds like a possible bug maybe?
I'll contact you again in the future depending on how things go with the tuner, I'm guessing you don't do this stuff for free?
Old 10-10-2020, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

I believe that's what he did at first but there was no increase in power. These ecu's came with a flex fuel table but was never implemented in stock form. Sounds like a possible bug maybe?
I'll contact you again in the future depending on how things go with the tuner, I'm guessing you don't do this stuff for free?
yeah it could have been a bug. No sir I do not

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just received hptuners, can anyone Take a look at my custom tune?