PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Gen 4 VVT control with Holley Terminator

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Gen 4 VVT control with Holley Terminator

I'm taking the turbo set up off a customer's car and he wants some ideas to keep the car spicy and interesting.

I've long looked at the various VVT compatible cams and wondered why I could create and an advanced table and an output to run the cam phaser.

Is anyone else out there doing this on Gen 4 motors? I see Nelson Racing doing it with the Atlas 4200 and lots of magazine articles about Gen 5 stuff.

Comments?
Old 04-01-2022, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holley doesn't say alot in their manuals about VVT and they dont really support it. You could create an advance table and output a PWM signal to the VVT solenoid but you dont know for sure if the cam is actually at the desired position without a feedback loop to know where it actually is.

I have an aftermarket VVT cam in my 6.2 and I am currently running a Terminator X but havent ran VVT yet. Holley came out with Terminator X V2 software that can control VVT but its only designed for the Gen 3 hemis and Gen 5 LT engines. I was messing around with the new V2 software and it looks like you can use the VVT section in the software and do "custom" and make it work for the gen 4 LS. I havent updated to V2 software yet to try my theory out but I think it will work.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 935 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I suspect they don't officially support it because it would be way too say to smack a piston into a valve with anything besides a stock cam. Looking at Terminator X v2 tunes for Gen 5 and for 6.2L Hemi, it looks like the Gen 5 VVT might be handled by the DI box. The Hemi tune shows and option to enable a PWM- output for the VVT solenoid, which creates the output in the pin map.

Andrew
Old 04-02-2022, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 480 Likes on 370 Posts

A whole lot of earlier VVT setups just have ON-off, you'd just have to make sure your P2V clearance is good during assembly. Ya have to manually lock the phaser at both ends of the travel and measure carefully. If your short of clearance you need an adjustable cam phaser lock to hold the valves back .. Its a fussy setup but the Honda guys did it.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Gonna bring this back in case anyone else is trying this.

I talked to Holley tech support and they don't support (surprise) trying to mix and match settings for a Gen 4 Ls to run VVT.

I did try and test VVT with Gen 5 LT cam settings in the Term X setup for a HEMI base map and it does not work and doesn't show the actual cam position. I think what is happening is when you pick HEMI VVT as the base file, it is looking for the HEMI cam sensor only, and with it set to Gen 5 LT cam settings, it doesn't work together.

I called Holley tech support and asked if they would consider making a change to possibly the next software revision so you can use a Gen 4 LS cam sensor to make the VVT work correctly and he said he would send it to the development group. He did seem surprised everything is there that is needed to make it happen and it wasn't done from the start.
Old 06-28-2024, 05:41 PM
Teching In

tx71nova, Where did you ultimately wind up with this? I am wanting to run an L96 (Has VVT, but no AFM/DOD) with a Terminator X and we are trying to figure out how we could use and program the VVT function in the Holley EFI software.... We want to keep the stock cam and really don't want to have to open up the motor and do a VVT delete/cam swap. Just want to run the L96 as it is....

Quick Reply: Gen 4 VVT control with Holley Terminator