PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does ve actually stand for? etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what does ve actually stand for? etc.

just sitting here wondering what ve stands for and also what is kpa meaning? i am trying my best to understand hp tuners and i havent been able to understand enough to change a single table value safely yet and i am driving around un-tuned. anyone who can help in the dallas area? anyone in texas or surrounding states? i really need help and will pay for your time. please help. thanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Volumetric Efficiency... Its a measure of how efficient the engine is at an air pump.

kpa is kilopascals a metric measurement of pressure. barrometric pressure ~28 inHg (inches of mercury IIRC)=100kpa in HPTuners they go by PS1 but you can convert all that stuff to kpa for tuning....
Old 09-14-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by fozziejared
just sitting here wondering what ve stands for and also what is kpa meaning? i am trying my best to understand hp tuners and i havent been able to understand enough to change a single table value safely yet and i am driving around un-tuned. anyone who can help in the dallas area? anyone in texas or surrounding states? i really need help and will pay for your time. please help. thanks.
VE stands for Volumetric Efficiency. Basically the Main VE table is fueling at different engine loads vs. rpms. The kpa is the measurement of grams of air to help determine the load on the engine or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP).

With the cam and exhaust you have you are probably running very rich at start up and idle. The Main VE table is where you want make adjustments to correct this. Lowering the values in the 400, 800 & 1,200 rpm columns will do this.

Here is a good start by NoGo:

Here are some things you can try.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Speed: 950
Idle Limiters --> IAC Park Position: Raise all points from 40C and up to 21
Idle Limiters --> Idle Air In Gear: All points 60C and up to 8.6
Fuel --> Main VE Table: Multiply column 400 rpm by 60%. Multiply column 800 by 80%. Multiply column 1200 by 90%. (hptuner
Ignition --> High Octane Table: Add 2 deg to all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32 g/sec

Once done with this program, start the car and check for surging. If the car surges, unplug the IAC and see if the surging stops. If the surging stops follow below.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Air in Gear --> All points above 60C to 9.2

Take the car for a drive and check your idle. If the car goes on cruise control reduce the Idle Air in Gear Table .2 (further if necessary). If the idle holds at 2000 RPM for extended periods of time reduce the P/N Airflow Decay table for all points above 10 MPH by 5% (multiply by 95) until this stops. Be vary careful on this table.

If car keeps surging with the IAC unplugged two more things to try.
Multiply Main VE table by another 95% (total reduction of 85%). Repeat until the surging goes away, or until the car begins to hesitate when you take off.
High Octane Ignition Table. Reduce timing for all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32 g/sec by 2. Repeat, but don't reduce it any more than 6 degrees.

Last edited by Lady Redhawk; 09-14-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
.[font=Verdana]
VE stands for Volumetric Efficiency. Basically the Main VE table is fueling at different engine loads vs. rpms. The kpa is the measurement of grams of air to help determine the load on the engine or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP).

One correction the MAP sensor does not measure mass (grams of air) it measures pressure. Grams of air is the job of the MASS air flow sensor.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
One correction the MAP sensor does not measure mass (grams of air) it measures pressure. Grams of air is the job of the MASS air flow sensor.
I worded it a little differently, but yes that is what I was trying to say. I didn’t see your reply when I had already posted mine.

Old 09-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Launching!

sure appreciate it. thanks guys. oh and girls too. thanks.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Can someone explain PE also? What it does and its relations to the VE tables

Quick Reply: what does ve actually stand for? etc.