Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Successfully desensitized my knock sensors with HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Successfully desensitized my knock sensors with HPTuners

Since nobody over on their forum wanted to answer me, I went for broke and just changed the darn thing. I modified the Knock Sensor Global Gain vs. MAP vs. Cyl. The table went from all 4s to all 1s at 65kpa, which was exactly where I was getting my false knock. I changed 65kpa+ to all 4s and moved my max KR vs. PE back up to normal and did 3 or 4 WOT runs with no KR! Woohoo! To heck with changing out those knock sensors. In fact, I only logged .5 degrees of knock retard, and that only happened once in my entire drive around town. Sweet. Now I can happily run my 28 degrees at WOT without false knock.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice!!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Another_User
Since nobody over on their forum wanted to answer me, I went for broke and just changed the darn thing. I modified the Knock Sensor Global Gain vs. MAP vs. Cyl. The table went from all 4s to all 1s at 65kpa, which was exactly where I was getting my false knock. I changed 65kpa+ to all 4s and moved my max KR vs. PE back up to normal and did 3 or 4 WOT runs with no KR! Woohoo! To heck with changing out those knock sensors. In fact, I only logged .5 degrees of knock retard, and that only happened once in my entire drive around town. Sweet. Now I can happily run my 28 degrees at WOT without false knock.
And how did you do that? I cant see that option in my version 1.4 of HPTuners? I looked everywhere...
Old 11-02-2004, 03:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Download the 1.5 update.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe it now wont detect real knock??
Old 11-02-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
maybe it now wont detect real knock??
:shrug: What's good enough for my low kpa is good enough for my high kpa. I only run premium, and I am only pushing 28 degrees.

Maybe I will lean it out and let you all know....kabooooooom!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Have/had the same problem with my 99 A4 Vette, I just think the damn knock sensors are too sensitive. I'm sure the knock is false as it happens at weird places and not consistently. It's sometimes on launch and sometime froms a roll where the car down shifts, but I could stab the throttle and release and see 12 to 17 degrees KR. I was logging yesterday in 50 degree weather with 100 octance CAM2 in the car and if it was rattling, I'm sure this would be audible, I scaled the table down by 10 degrees and it still thought it was knocking. I put on the stock tune and it rattled the same way. I know GM updated the code to assist Spark Knock issues, I'm really curious what they did. Jeff
Old 11-07-2004, 07:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try to make sure you get 0 KR all the time when scanning.Even .5 can screw up timing.You will not see it on the scanner,but I've seen serious hp drops indicating the scanners are giving a false timing value or the computer is pulling more timing than it say's. Sound wierd but have seen it on numerous cars.

For Vette's,they can just be plan screwy.My personal Vette would pull 6-8 degree's for no apparent reason and add timing past the set point for some odd reason.Took me awhile to lock the timing down and just deleted my knock sensors because the computer was just set on pulling timing no matter what.

Quick Reply: Successfully desensitized my knock sensors with HPTuners