PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuners kit came in today. MY Laptop only has usb though.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP tuners kit came in today. MY Laptop only has usb though.

HP TUners Came in but LAptop only has USB PLug
I just got out of the hospital after being very sick these past few weeks and I was hoping to get to mess with the HP Tuners software.

Well my ThinkPad doesn't have any COM Ports and I guess I'm wanting to know which port or adapter to go buy so I can use it.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
HP TUners Came in but LAptop only has USB PLug
I just got out of the hospital after being very sick these past few weeks and I was hoping to get to mess with the HP Tuners software.

Well my ThinkPad doesn't have any COM Ports and I guess I'm wanting to know which port or adapter to go buy so I can use it.
You have to get a USB to serial converter, or the Thinkpad port replicator because it has a serial port (which is real, and more reliable, however more expensive).
Old 01-20-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or you can get a PCMCIA Serial adapter... i'd say the Port Replicator would be the best bet, followed by the PCMCIA card, with the USB to serial as a last choice... stay away from Belkin
Old 01-20-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem, expect I haven't ordered my HP Tuner yet. I did a search a few weeks ago and found that HP Tuner suggests this usb - serial adapter. My understanding is that this is really the only suggested adapter to use.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/
Old 01-20-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've heard some good things about the keyspan adapters... not sure if HP Tuners is suggesting to use them though... w/the normal reflash "write tune to car" procedure , it's failsafe ... so if others have had luck with it then should be ok

I would advise against doing a full rewrite w/a USB to Serial adapter though... no matter how good the tuning software is... during a full reflash if the USB adapter hiccups... it can kill a PCM
Old 01-21-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had great luck with my sewell dev. USB to serial adaptor. Never had any issues with it at all and I've had it quite awhile. Heres the link. http://www.sewelld.com/ It's only $17.95 too!
Old 01-21-2005, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Don't Buy a Belkin it will cause you a headache. And, a empty wallet.Buy a Keyspan. The Belkin crapped out on me during a flash and fried my Pcm. Had to get a new Pcm it took me a week to finnally decide to buy a new computer.I haven't had any problems out of the Keyspan USA-19HS it cost me 29.99 at Comp USA.
BELKIN
Old 01-21-2005, 05:07 AM
SPG
On The Tree

the keyspan works flawless for me.....the others (belkin etc) were cr*p
Old 01-21-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

the belkin chipset is questionable.

The IO gear, and keyspan seem to be good units.

Personally, i've flashed 98 pcm's hundreds of times with a $9 ebay adapter, and been fine (but i do keep a spare pcm in my car to be safe )

Ryan
Old 01-22-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slow
the belkin chipset is questionable.

The IO gear, and keyspan seem to be good units.

Personally, i've flashed 98 pcm's hundreds of times with a $9 ebay adapter, and been fine (but i do keep a spare pcm in my car to be safe )

Ryan
Thanks. I ended up spending 31 bucks at Best Buy on IO gear. It was the only product I could find other then Belkin. None of the other local stores had anything except 1 had a generic brand for 25 bucks. so I figured for the 6 extra I'll just get the IOGEAR.

Seems to work fine.