PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm stopping all Tuning on HPTuners till I get WB. Any suggestions on which WB?PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm stopping all Tuning on HPTuners till I get WB. Any suggestions on which WB?PLEASE

I found out that I'm running excessively rich through normal driving. She's dumping fuel. Then when I hit WOT she just dumps even more. But when I hit HIGH RPMs I start to hit my injectors max duty cycle and she starts to lean out.

So Since I don't wanna blow up a brand new $7k shortblock I've decided to cease all tuning and WOT untill I get this all straightened out.

Couple things I need to do.. I get paid FEB 4th so I'm just gonna have to do it then.

1. Order HP Tuners Upgrade

2. Decide on a WB to use with it. I'm not sure how to do this. How to hook it up. or even how to use it yet. But please any suggestions? Please help! I don't wanna mess up such a great setup I have.

3. I need to pick out some 42lb injectors since that is what I was planning on going with when I get the Turbo. I didn't expect to hit max duty cycle so soon but hey. **** Happens and I messed up on my planning. I'm all ears on suggestions guys..

Thank you so much guys. I'm sorry for being closeminded earlier. I don't know why I was. I'm a lil stressed. Some unexpected hospital bills arose when I got sick and needed surgery. When I had already made arrangements to buy LT's and such.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i purchased the lm1 for ease of use, portability and its known to work well with hptuner...$300-350 www.innovatemotorsports.com i believe is the site...i happened to buy mine through summit racing though.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

also like i said in an earilier thread you'll need to adjust for injectors...hptuners has a scale in their program or theres an excel file that i found online that will do it all for you in one shot...in the hptuners help file for starting up or hooking up or something they tell you exactly how to wire up the wideband to work with it...not difficult at all but i did have to program the w/b for 0-5v logging which i didnt know humpinss helped me figure that out.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

LM1, Dynojet WB commander, PLX are all feasible solutions. Right now EAD is having a GP on the Dynojet WB commander so you may be able to pick it up for a decent price.

The WB has its own o2 sensor that you ca either plug into it own bung or have another bung added in your y-pipe. You hook the WB to the controller and use your pc to view your AFR or you can integrate the data using the HPTUners EIO cable using the analog voltage output(best case scenario) from the WB (if you dont understand this when you get the instructions it will clear it up for you. Also try looking through their websites to see what is involved).

Feel free to ask more open minded questions
Old 01-28-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Im planning on going with the LM1 as well and Im very interested as to how best integrate them. Maybe you guys could post up or post a link
Old 01-28-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by foff667
also like i said in an earilier thread you'll need to adjust for injectors...hptuners has a scale in their program or theres an excel file that i found online that will do it all for you in one shot...in the hptuners help file for starting up or hooking up or something they tell you exactly how to wire up the wideband to work with it...not difficult at all but i did have to program the w/b for 0-5v logging which i didnt know humpinss helped me figure that out.
Wow. Dude thank you so much. If you could hook me up with that excell file or that infor that would be great. I get paid on feb 4th so thats when I"m planning on ordering.

I do have some hospital bills I have to pay this payperiod from the surgery I just had so I'll probably end up just being able to buy the WB and HPTuner Upgrade. I also need to be looking at 42lb injectors though. I'm not sure what brand is best for that though. But I'm going to browse around on thunder racing, tbyrne, ls1speed and a few others online to see whats available...

Thanks again bro. I really appreciate evrything guys.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i had added you to my aim buddy list last night so if you were on i could talk to you that way but never popped up...if your on tonight I'll send it to you or pm me your email. Also if your running the stock injectors you can still tune some stuff...i just wouldnt mess with wot tuning at all at this point, but you can get alot of idle and part throttle stuff done in the meantime.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
LM1, Dynojet WB commander, PLX are all feasible solutions. Right now EAD is having a GP on the Dynojet WB commander so you may be able to pick it up for a decent price.

The WB has its own o2 sensor that you ca either plug into it own bung or have another bung added in your y-pipe. You hook the WB to the controller and use your pc to view your AFR or you can integrate the data using the HPTUners EIO cable using the analog voltage output(best case scenario) from the WB (if you dont understand this when you get the instructions it will clear it up for you. Also try looking through their websites to see what is involved).

Feel free to ask more open minded questions
OK well here is my situation on my Exhaust. RIght now I have Exhaust manifolds bolted up to a Custom Xpipe that has a custom flange on it for the manifolds. With No O2 bungs in the back. I've been running O2 SIms for almost 2 years.

On Saturday I'm meeting at Fbody Motorsports to pick up Some LT's and have them installed there and Fabbed up to my Xpipe. If needed after I buy hte WB I could have a bung installed where the X meets so it's both gasses? Would that be an OK spot or is it to far up or back?

Way later on down the road after I learn the software and straighten out all these issues. I'll be going on with my plans and doing the heads/Cam/ etc etc. At the time I switch to the rear mounted turbo I'm planning I'll be switching to the Catted Y pipe that came with the LT's. Would it be ok to use one of the rear o2 bungs. Since I don't use back O2 Sensors? Or should I have one installed at the back of the Y pipe where the gasses mix?

Also who is EAD and do you have their link so I can look into the GP. I don't get paid till the 4th so I'd really like to make sure I can mae the deadline for the GP. THanks again bro.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Im planning on going with the LM1 as well and Im very interested as to how best integrate them. Maybe you guys could post up or post a link
its actually very easy...on the hptuners forum my self and a few others posted pics of the boxes theyve made at home...cost me like $5 and about 20 mins worth of time to make mine...to hook you your wideband basically like i said make sure one of the analog outputs is for 0-5v which mine i had to program it to output that, then actually hook it up the o2 goes into your exhaust system preferably before cats but ive heard that even after the cats its not totoally horrible then theres the heater for the new o2 which usually just plugs into a lighter socket, then take the 1 output wire to the designated input on hptuners and the ground to the ground on hptuners then when you open the scanner go to one of the 4 bottom slots of the table and right click and open what type of w/b you have...there is a designated slot for each though, but this is all in their help file like i mentioned...then start logging.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

i had added you to my aim buddy list last night so if you were on i could talk to you that way but never popped up...if your on tonight I'll send it to you or pm me your email. Also if your running the stock injectors you can still tune some stuff...i just wouldnt mess with wot tuning at all at this point, but you can get alot of idle and part throttle stuff done in the meantime.
That would be great. Because it doesn't look like i"ll be able to afford the injectors at the same time as the WB stuff because of my hospital bills this pay period.

Here is an excerpt from a friend who emalied me after he looked at my bin and hpl data.
Originally Posted by afriendofmine
at WOT looks like you're coming close to 100% duty cycle of your injectors (23.3 ms at around 5000 RPM )
WOT still looks a little lean, driver side bank is running leaner than passenger side
Normal driving your LTRIMS are way off, it's adding alot of extra fuel, the puff of smoke you get going WOT is prolly caused by the transition... it goes from adding alot of extra fuel to adding a ton more then straightens out and leans out... your LTRIMs are locking in around 8 and 9 % at WOT .. you want these to lock to 0
Knock Retard looks good in the tuned log, very little, timing is a little low at WOT...
....i bet the reason you're getting such poor fuel economy is because it's adding so much fuel during normal driving ......
...Your VE table (LTFTs) is way rich... the computer's adding tons of fuel... also at WOT the LTRIMs are locking in at 5.5% (adding fuel at WOT)...
Also appears you're running Lean at WOT and not rich... your O2 sensors are hovering around 900 ... I like to see mine around 930 (wideband is much more accurate but you can use the narrowband to try to make a safe tune... just not a max power tune)...
Old 01-28-2005, 10:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
OK well here is my situation on my Exhaust. RIght now I have Exhaust manifolds bolted up to a Custom Xpipe that has a custom flange on it for the manifolds. With No O2 bungs in the back. I've been running O2 SIms for almost 2 years.

On Saturday I'm meeting at Fbody Motorsports to pick up Some LT's and have them installed there and Fabbed up to my Xpipe. If needed after I buy hte WB I could have a bung installed where the X meets so it's both gasses? Would that be an OK spot or is it to far up or back?

Way later on down the road after I learn the software and straighten out all these issues. I'll be going on with my plans and doing the heads/Cam/ etc etc. At the time I switch to the rear mounted turbo I'm planning I'll be switching to the Catted Y pipe that came with the LT's. Would it be ok to use one of the rear o2 bungs. Since I don't use back O2 Sensors? Or should I have one installed at the back of the Y pipe where the gasses mix?

Also who is EAD and do you have their link so I can look into the GP. I don't get paid till the 4th so I'd really like to make sure I can mae the deadline for the GP. THanks again bro.
i would personally not use cats if your doing a rear mounted turbo...if your tuning is off and you loose a cat where do you think those remnents are going? Yup right through your turbo...but thats me...and with FI its very hard to keep those cats in one piece from what ive seen. Also i would mount the sensor as close to the stock location as possible and make sure there are no exhaust leaks near it as to not get any fresh air fugging with the readings.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

its actually very easy...on the hptuners forum my self and a few others posted pics of the boxes theyve made at home...cost me like $5 and about 20 mins worth of time to make mine...to hook you your wideband basically like i said make sure one of the analog outputs is for 0-5v which mine i had to program it to output that, then actually hook it up the o2 goes into your exhaust system preferably before cats but ive heard that even after the cats its not totoally horrible then theres the heater for the new o2 which usually just plugs into a lighter socket, then take the 1 output wire to the designated input on hptuners and the ground to the ground on hptuners then when you open the scanner go to one of the 4 bottom slots of the table and right click and open what type of w/b you have...there is a designated slot for each though, but this is all in their help file like i mentioned...then start logging.
OK wow that went way over my head. When I order it all I'm going to have to look all this stuff up very clearly. I'm really finicy when it comes to wireing stuff in my car. I might have to pay someone to install it properly. I'm not much of a mechanic. I'm pretty decent at wiring if I have a good understanding oif what i'm working with. I just wanna make sure I get it done right and don't mess anything up ya know. I"m all ears though,I'll read and study all the info you have to give.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That would be great. Because it doesn't look like i"ll be able to afford the injectors at the same time as the WB stuff because of my hospital bills this pay period.

Here is an excerpt from a friend who emalied me after he looked at my bin and hpl data.
as far as what your friend said he sounds like he knows what hes talking about...one thing though i run ~11.5:1 a/f with my blower and my o2's read .890-.940 so even though the w/b says its dead at 11.5:1 so i wouldnt necessarily go by them at wot and definitly would try and stay out of it till you get wot worked out...and yes 23@5000 is maxing them out.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

On the LM1 Kit do I need the entire kit or just the sensors, wiring and hookups to plug into the Enhanced IO plug of the HP tuners kit.?
cause if I just needed the O2 sensor and the cable thats only 99 bucks
Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

OK wow that went way over my head. When I order it all I'm going to have to look all this stuff up very clearly. I'm really finicy when it comes to wireing stuff in my car. I might have to pay someone to install it properly. I'm not much of a mechanic. I'm pretty decent at wiring if I have a good understanding oif what i'm working with. I just wanna make sure I get it done right and don't mess anything up ya know. I"m all ears though,I'll read and study all the info you have to give.
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/YaBB.p...num=1100397754 here are the boxes we came up with...like i said there is a wiring diagram in the help files in hptuners in the getting started portion and fully explains what needs to be done.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

On the LM1 Kit do I need the entire kit or just the sensors, wiring and hookups to plug into the Enhanced IO plug of the HP tuners kit.?
you need a kit...without a w/b controller the sensor is worthless for the most part.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

you need a kit...without a w/b controller the sensor is worthless for the most part.
OK awesome. I'm definately going to have to reference all this when I order it. I wish it was feb already. lol
Old 01-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

www.zeitronix.com

They base kit is only $279.

I have one I am ready using on my Z06 and another coming for tuning other peoples cars.. nice kit and a great price.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by GEN3Typhoon
www.zeitronix.com

They base kit is only $279.

I have one I am ready using on my Z06 and another coming for tuning other peoples cars.. nice kit and a great price.
doesnt work well with hptuners.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Without the "kit" the wide band will not calibrate. Meaning that the sensor will not last long and it wont be accurate. I like my dynojet wideband commander a lot. Even comes with a guage

Quick Reply: I'm stopping all Tuning on HPTuners till I get WB. Any suggestions on which WB?PLEASE