PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help - Local Person to do Crankshaft Position Relearn.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Local Person to do Crankshaft Position Relearn.

I dont have a F-Body. I have a N-body. I replaced the crank shaft pulley the other day, and now I'm having some problems. Sometimes at WOT, I get some sputtering, like a misfire. It's only in second gear, and sometimes when I stomp it at various other MPH. These problems only occured directly after the replacement of the pulley.

No engine check light is on. In the Haynes manual, it says after replacing the crankshaft pulley, and relearn is needed and a code will appear. I have no code appearing. My guess is that I need a realearn done. I have a scan tool, but it doesnt write.

I was wondering if there was anyone in AZ with a tech II that could do the relearn procedure for me, or if somebody thinks that may not be the problem. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry if I sound stupid .. but what's an N-Body ?

From an F-Body perspective... AFAIK the crank position relearn only helps w/identifying misfires..... which will cause multiple flashing SES or a solid SES ....
Old 02-11-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok... Octanez28 just schooled me

Buick Skylark & Somerset, Chevrolet Malibu, Oldsmobile Achieva, Alero, Calais & Cutlass and the Pontiac Grand Am

You'll be better off asking in a local (regional) section .. dealerships shouldn't charge too much for this though... I was charged 50 bux for a PCM reflash... so shouldn't be too much for a CPL

Though... i'd log before getting the relearn..... if N-Body's are like F-Bodys ... the position of the pulley means jack ****... the crankshaft doesn't care about the pulley... it cares about the Crankshaft Position Sensor in relation w/the Cam Position Sensor

I doubt your problem will be solved w/a crankshaft position relearn... you need to get logs of what's going on when it's stuttering
Old 02-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Teching In

I have a scan tool that will give me some readings. Not sure what to look for, or if the software I have will show me the information I need. Im wondering if has to do something with the reluctor ring inside the crankshaft pulley and the 24x sensor, or if some debri on the sesnor could cause this. Not sure if you guys have a relecutor ring inside the harmonic balancer. If not, then I will try another forum. THanks for the help!

Originally Posted by horist
ok... Octanez28 just schooled me

Buick Skylark & Somerset, Chevrolet Malibu, Oldsmobile Achieva, Alero, Calais & Cutlass and the Pontiac Grand Am

You'll be better off asking in a local (regional) section .. dealerships shouldn't charge too much for this though... I was charged 50 bux for a PCM reflash... so shouldn't be too much for a CPL

Though... i'd log before getting the relearn..... if N-Body's are like F-Bodys ... the position of the pulley means jack ****... the crankshaft doesn't care about the pulley... it cares about the Crankshaft Position Sensor in relation w/the Cam Position Sensor

I doubt your problem will be solved w/a crankshaft position relearn... you need to get logs of what's going on when it's stuttering
Old 02-12-2005, 05:56 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

-Not sure if you guys have a reluctor ring inside the harmonic balancer-

Ours is at the rear of the crank.
GJ

Quick Reply: Need Help - Local Person to do Crankshaft Position Relearn.