Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTUNNERS AND LT'S W/Magnaflow Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPTUNNERS AND LT'S W/Magnaflow Exhaust

My 02 z28 was tuned with HP Tunners it has long tubes on it with no cats and a Magnaflow exhaust system. My question is, if I run the car at the track with open headers will this change the tune ? Will I mess up anything? I would like to get rid of the Magnaflow exhaust system and go to a true daul set up that I can remove quickly at the track so I can run open headers. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Mat
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ronnie Abene
My 02 z28 was tuned with HP Tunners it has long tubes on it with no cats and a Magnaflow exhaust system. My question is, if I run the car at the track with open headers will this change the tune ? Will I mess up anything? I would like to get rid of the Magnaflow exhaust system and go to a true daul set up that I can remove quickly at the track so I can run open headers. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks
Based on the fact that your running an ORY already, I seriously doubt it will affect your tune at all. Having the headers open *does* expose the front O2's to fresh air though and that may make them read a little strange. I have never run my car long enough with open headers to notice a difference though.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the point of altering your setup if you're not going to compensate for it with a tune? is it going to work? sure, but not as well if you did get it tuned with your 'track' setup. the stock computer is pretty good with altering itself to smaller changes, but it takes time, and it's not as perfect as it could be.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Mat
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
what's the point of altering your setup if you're not going to compensate for it with a tune? is it going to work? sure, but not as well if you did get it tuned with your 'track' setup. the stock computer is pretty good with altering itself to smaller changes, but it takes time, and it's not as perfect as it could be.
So with this in mind your saying that even uncapping an exhaust should warrant a certain level of tuning? Sounds feasible for sure. Of course if it's going to be a long process your going to need somewhere you can do the varied driving necessary to get a solid tune with in this case open headers. Hmm.. Think they'd get mad if you drove down the track rolling on and off the throttle?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know a guy who's gone 9s on a completely wrong/untuned setup, so it's not that you can't be fast, to me it's just a matter of reliability.
that, and i'm **** about everything i own running in sub-optimal manner.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
i know a guy who's gone 9s on a completely wrong/untuned setup, so it's not that you can't be fast, to me it's just a matter of reliability.
that, and i'm **** about everything i own running in sub-optimal manner.
so true...so true...
I'm just at Headers and true duals with a self ported TB and a descreened MAF...
some would say that this isnt worth tuning for yet...but here I am tuning it in...
I see a big difference with just my simple mods...its amazing how much you really do get out of mods when you tune for them...

people are seeing 7-8 rwhp with a lid...I'll bet you could squeeze out a little bit more ponies with some fine tuning on the tune...hell...I'm going to try it when I buy my lid or when I custom fab my intake