PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 4* knock was gone on the way home today could it be the new Drive Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 4* knock was gone on the way home today could it be the new Drive Shaft?

Well graphed my car yesterday and was getting 4* at WOT all day long. Today I had my mechanic weld up my Lower reclocation brackets, Put on a Strange HD drive shaft we had ordered and put freon back in my car from the head and cam swap last fall.

Well I graphed my knock retard on the way home today and the most I could get it up to was 1* and that was only one time out of probably 3 digs and 5 rolling WOT smashes. Most of the time it would only go up to 0.2*

So does this knock retard come and go or did I get lucky with one of those things I had installed today?

I don't know much about timing advance, but I graphed that also and I do 33/34 down the road at 60 and then when I go WOT it drops down to 18/19 Is this low for WOT or normal?

Last edited by speedo; 06-03-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are the new mods cauing excess vibrations? If its no different than before I dont see how it could be related? Changed fuel, weather different today?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

18/19 isnt very much if thats your highest numbers. Did you look at the old ds? If so did it look like it had been scraping on anything?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

I just looked and it could have been rubbing on my cutout clamp bolt. It looked like a ring was cut around the old drive shaft. Looked pretty warn in already.

Same fuel, maybe a bit less humid today but not much. I was pulling 4* last weekend also....so probably unlikey.

Going to try it here in a bit just got the right harness in for my racetronix pump.

Let you know what I get
Old 06-03-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
18/19 isnt very much if thats your highest numbers. Did you look at the old ds? If so did it look like it had been scraping on anything?

What is the norm for the timing at WOT. I got 34 down the road. Maybe the tuner pulled it back because of the knock?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Mat
Launching!

Normal timing for 98's is around 28* at WOT.. Mine gets that whenever it doesn't decide to have some false knock. I turned down the sensitivity of my knocks for now using HPTuners and it has really helped.

Sounds like your 98 has some timing problems my friend. I know some of the later model cars came with less timing from the factory but you should be seeing at least 24* and up. I know with 4* of knock I still saw 23 to 24 degree's.

Try logging your knock learn factor. If that isn't at 1 that means you don't have all your timing in yet. Once your knock learn gets to an even 1.0 you have full timing back. If your car continues to have knock retard issues that is what can kick your timing back on you.

After I did my VE tuning, recalibrated my MAF, and leaned out my PE table a bit I had to wait for my knock learn to creep back up to 1.0 from 0.39 as the computer I guess learns how much timing it can add back into your car without detonation or knock. That's why when you *do* get knock it kicks that knock learn factor back further away from 1.0 and you effectively run less timing...

Hope that helps? Anyone correct me if necessary!
Old 06-04-2005, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedo
I just looked and it could have been rubbing on my cutout clamp bolt. It looked like a ring was cut around the old drive shaft. Looked pretty warn in already.

Same fuel, maybe a bit less humid today but not much. I was pulling 4* last weekend also....so probably unlikey.

Going to try it here in a bit just got the right harness in for my racetronix pump.

Let you know what I get
Definetly check your new ds now and make sure its not rubbing. Regardless of it being the knock problem you dont want to weaken the new ds.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Well its back. I graphed on last nights couple of digs I did and shoots right back up to 4* just for a second or 2 then comes back down.

Driveshaft, I noticed increased vibration on the decel after I did them digs last night and also big time when I slide it in N. Talked to my mechaninc and he said he noticed that one of my bolts was loose on the back of the stock DS when he replaced it. I will have to check them on. So I am going to take a peek at it in a couple of days when I get home.

Thought my timing was a bit low. I see guys back it down to 19 because of the knock. I will pass it on to my tuner when I send my computer back in. I don't think there is a decent tuner here in MN so I will have to keep shipping it back and forth till I get it right. I only have Autotap like Version 1 for now so I can't do much.

Wonder why them 98's are so fussy with the knock.

Thanks for the info
Old 06-05-2005, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

wow I cant imagine having issues with 19.. Im currently running up to 33.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Mat
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
wow I cant imagine having issues with 19.. Im currently running up to 33.
You are very lucky my friend! I had to struggle to get 28.. now I've got it with my knocks desensitized about half of what is the usual number.