LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   PCM Diagnostics & Tuning (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/)
-   -   My PCM has a short term memory (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/359115-my-pcm-has-short-term-memory.html)

TAGOES11S 08-01-2005 09:48 AM

My PCM has a short term memory

After the car sits for a few hours and I start it up, all the gauges on the dash flash to there max reading, then back to a 0 rating, then go to the correct setting. For example. Tach with go to 7K, then down to 0, then up to 900 rpm. The trip meter also resets to 0. Also seems the car has to relearn how to idle. If I go on a trip and shut the car off for a short period, say to get gas or run into the store it will retain it's memory... any idea what would cause this?

Dan
99 T/A MTI programming.

12secSS 08-01-2005 10:16 AM

It sounds like a short or improper contact. I know for a fact that when my car would do that, it was due to the battery being low. I have noticed some vehicles had either a bad contact behind the dash for the gauge cluster or the battery terminals were loose.

jay_99z 08-01-2005 10:19 AM

You either have a battery or alternator on it's way out, or a bad connection.

And since you have a 99 you will get the trip reset ...... Mine does the same when my lightweight battery gets low.

http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/aug99tsb.jpg

Ultra Z 08-01-2005 10:37 AM

Hmmm funny I have the same problem. I thought it was because I moved the battery to the back but I checked all my connections 100 times and used 0 gauge wire to try to fix it and it still did it. It didn't seem to have any other effect on my car other than it reseting the OD so I just ignored it. This is saying it's the gauge cluster itself? So I will have to replace the gauge cluster to correct this problem?

jay_99z 08-01-2005 10:48 AM

UltraZ,

As far as function I don't see the gauge replacement being a must. It will just reset the trip.....

It might not like the battery relocation but as long as it starts fine and you can live with the trip reset....I wouldn't bother. Mine works fine with a regular battery but it resets sometimes with the lightweight one. I've gotten used to it during "race season". After that the stocker goes back in.

TAGOES11S 08-01-2005 10:57 AM

I'm running a lightweight battery in the stock battery location as well. Maybe this is the source. The alternator did just go out, but I replaced it and I have the same problem. The car doesn't have any problems starting and it has been doing this for about a year.

robertbartsch 08-01-2005 11:39 AM

I have seen this in my 99 camaro....usually when the battery is low.... chck all the ground wires again...

Ultra Z 08-01-2005 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jay_99z
UltraZ,

As far as function I don't see the gauge replacement being a must. It will just reset the trip.....

It might not like the battery relocation but as long as it starts fine and you can live with the trip reset....I wouldn't bother. Mine works fine with a regular battery but it resets sometimes with the lightweight one. I've gotten used to it during "race season". After that the stocker goes back in.

Yeah honestly it never really bothered me much. After instaling my th400 I haven't hooked up the speedo yet and the car starts fine so hell with it.

thedudeZ 10-27-2005 03:39 PM

I have a '99 Z28 as well.

If I'm showing good voltage when the car is running could it still be my alternator or battery? There is no hesitation on startups at all and even when it resets there is no issue with idling(although its a little low at 500rpm)

jay_99z 10-27-2005 04:00 PM

You might want to double check that your battery terminals are tight.

MAXIMO 10-28-2005 12:16 PM

Question on this, Would this mess up a tune????

Maggie 10-29-2005 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by TAGOES11S
After the car sits for a few hours and I start it up, all the gauges on the dash flash to there max reading, then back to a 0 rating, then go to the correct setting. For example. Tach with go to 7K, then down to 0, then up to 900 rpm. The trip meter also resets to 0. Also seems the car has to relearn how to idle. If I go on a trip and shut the car off for a short period, say to get gas or run into the store it will retain it's memory... any idea what would cause this?

Dan
99 T/A MTI programming.

Low voltage will cause this... but the early 99 pcm software had a fault that caused it to reset some of the memory values and act exactly as you describe. You can have the software updated at a dealer or find someone that can reflash the computer with a newer version.
Hope this helps,

Maggie

Dragman 03-08-2006 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by TAGOES11S
I'm running a lightweight battery in the stock battery location as well.

What lightweight battery are u guys using??

horist 03-08-2006 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMO
Question on this, Would this mess up a tune????

no... the trip meter is part of the gauge cluster, not stored in the PCM so this issue won't mess up a tune

Once a car is tuned, it's stored in the PCMs flash memory, so simply losing power won't cause it to be lost (the tune) ... even losing power momentarily isn't enough to clear the learned info in the PCM (such as fuel trims)

4U2NV-SS 06-30-2008 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie (Post 3719476)
Low voltage will cause this... but the early 99 pcm software had a fault that caused it to reset some of the memory values and act exactly as you describe. You can have the software updated at a dealer or find someone that can reflash the computer with a newer version.
Hope this helps,

Maggie

What new software is there? So I can tell my tuner. I am having this problem and mine is a 99. Thanks Art

Maggie 07-01-2008 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by 4U2NV-SS (Post 9653651)
What new software is there? So I can tell my tuner. I am having this problem and mine is a 99. Thanks Art

Most dealerships usually charge $75 to $100 or so for an update.

Your tuner will probably have the latest stock version.

PM me if he doesn't.