PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Lean after MTI Lid and bellow...Help!

Old 08-01-2005, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Lean after MTI Lid and bellow...Help!

Well i had my car checked today at my dealership on the Tech 2 and my air/fuel ratio is all messed up after installing my MTI lid and bellow...the mechanic told me the regular is 5.5 for the air ratio and im running an 8.8 ....well at least i know that mod worked, but a little too well ....my question is how should i combat this? Different fuel pump? Bigger injectors? Adjustable regulator? I honestly have no clue but he said if i get into the 9.0 range that its going to set the check engine light which it hasnt done yet but i dont want to keep running it this lean....so any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks alot guys i know u got some good answers u always do.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

All you need is a tune. No need to increase your injector size at this mod level. Get a tuner such as a Diablo Programmer or have your car dyno tuned. They can increase your power enrichment throuout your RPM band, and you should be ok.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

thanks, but ive gotten so many responses to this question that im pretty much confused by now.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are those numbers he told you? what is 5.5 and 8.8? your fuel trims? or what. and was this at idle or WOT or cruise? we need some more info. yeah this stuff changes your intake track a good bit but really wont throw your afr off that much. if anything you just need a tune to get it inline. we dont add things to fix problems we do it the right way. whoever told that stuff to you doesnt know their *** from their elbow. everything can be straitened out with a tune. IMO take the time and start learning now and buy some software like hp tuners and efi live.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

it was at cruise around 1100 - 1500 rpm and the numbers he was talking about was my air/fuel ratio...and im looking into getting the hptuner program as we speak...do i need efi live too? Or would just one program work?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get one program. and i hope that wasnt your a/f ratio because 5.5:1 is EXTREMELY rich, these cars run 14.62:1 at part throttle and 13:1 at wide open. i think this was your fuel trims he was talking about not the air fuel ratio
Old 08-02-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by KannibaliztikTA
it was at cruise around 1100 - 1500 rpm and the numbers he was talking about was my air/fuel ratio...and im looking into getting the hptuner program as we speak...do i need efi live too? Or would just one program work?
Check out EFILive-FlashScan. A logging and tuning program in one. It has some great features. One is free software upgrades for life; AutoTune, etc.....

Bill
Old 08-02-2005, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

ur probably right...i really didnt understand much of what he said but he made it sound like something terrible was going on in there ....i just remember the numbers he spit out and he started preaching to me about modifying my engine and how its wrong to do without other supporting mods...i thought he was getting a little carried away personally....afterall i just added a lid and bellow.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by KannibaliztikTA
ur probably right...i really didnt understand much of what he said but he made it sound like something terrible was going on in there ....i just remember the numbers he spit out and he started preaching to me about modifying my engine and how its wrong to do without other supporting mods...i thought he was getting a little carried away personally....afterall i just added a lid and bellow.
I did not do any tuning after adding a LID and bellows. That was my first mod. Now after the headers the tuning was needed, and after the TC, and after the cam... It just never stops. If you are going to be doing many mods it does pay to buy FlashScan ot HP.

Bill
Old 08-02-2005, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

well i do plan on doing some serious mods after that mitsubishi lancer blew me away last night ....those are quick little *****....but from a 30 roll he said he couldnt pull me....from a dead stop SEE YA ....i plan on doing all the typical mods headers, catted y, ls6 or fast intake, pulleys, stall, and then mongoose heads and a tr cam....then ill probly need to build the drivetrain to handle all of that power so i figured id need some tuning skills sooner or later.....either that or get to know somebody who can do it fairly cheap.

Search this Thread