Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PE Tuning 02 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PE Tuning 02 Z06

Hi guys. I'm using HPT 1 bar SD and an LM-1. I only have Kooks LT's w/cats and a Halltech Trap Intake. I'm having an issue with leaning out the car at lower rpm WOT. I have been doing 2k to 6400 runs in third gear and am seeing values of 11.7 to 12.0AFR from 2k to 4500 and 12.0 to 12.7AFR on up. I'm not so concerned with the AFR above 5k rpm as my pe is at 1.2 and there is room to reduce it but it's at 1.08 from 2k to 3200 and I'm at 12.0 AFR. Should I be reducing my pe this much or is there a problem with my ve table? I had my ltft's between 0 and -4 with the exception of idle which was reading lean at +5 the last time I was out logging. BTW I have not touched the timing table at all. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are u using the ve or OLFA table? if the OLFA table is too rich it will use that i think also see what kinda adders you have vs iat and ect
Old 09-03-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I logged commanded AFR and it seems at times the car is commanding a rich condition (11.8) and I'm using pe to try to counter it. How do I get my commanded afr in line (how does the pcm calc commanded afr)? Also in the OLFA vs. ECT vs. MAP it shows 1.13 in higher MAP areas. That means the pcm is commanding 13.0AFR correct? BTW I haven't altered anything in the OLFA table. In what case would one alter this table? It seems totally dependant on the coolant temp. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I haven't fiddled too much with the OLFA table. But my understanding is that if you're running true open-loop mode, (not using O2's), then you need to set these divisor values based upon which AFR you want under those conditions.

If you're just running speed density (O2's without the MAF), tune your VE table first, then your PE divisors should work exactly as designed. Check out the stickies for VE tuning if you haven't done so already.

On my calibration, I insured that the OLFA values under WOT operation were always lower than any PE table value. I also leaned it out a bit under idle conditions.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I haven't fiddled too much with the OLFA table. But my understanding is that if you're running true open-loop mode, (not using O2's), then you need to set these divisor values based upon which AFR you want under those conditions.

If you're just running speed density (O2's without the MAF), tune your VE table first, then your PE divisors should work exactly as designed. Check out the stickies for VE tuning if you haven't done so already.

On my calibration, I insured that the OLFA values under WOT operation were always lower than any PE table value. I also leaned it out a bit under idle conditions.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm using my 02's. Ideally I would want the car to command 13.0 at wot and there's probably a huge equation with tonnes of variables the pcm uses to arrive at 13.0 commanded afr correct? A while ago I tried adjusting my ve table in OL mode and I remember loading the OLFA vs. ect vs. map table full of 1.13 to command 13.0afr. How would I command 13.0 in only the wot area's? In that table I already have 1.13 in the high map areas. Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Push it Open Loop - SD by setting the Closed Loop enable temp to the max value . Set the entire OLFA table to 1.00 (14.63 AFR). Get your Commanded and LM1 AFRs to match up by adjusting your VE table . Then put it back Closed Loop SD - you should be set.

See this thread - HumpinSS' input ->http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtop...=1760&start=15

And here's the imp. info from HumpinSS:

I am kinda confused as to why everyone goes through some many hoops to disable pe. Here is my thinking....

Things we know

1. PCM selects the riches table between the OLFA table and the PE vs. RPM table
2. After dialing in the ve table to a set AFR if the commanded AFRs are changed the BEN factors are slightly off

So here is what i propose

1. Set the whole open loop table to .98 or 1.00
2. LEAVE pe map enable to 15 kpa
3. Set pe delay yto 0 (IIRC it is fromthe factory for F-bodies)
4. set you PE vs RPM table to a value you are happy with 13.0 all the way across or 12.6 till TQ peak and lean it out aftwerwards....

Here is what this does

1. You dont have to change you OLFA table back to stock when you are finished tuning. 13.0:1 gets expensive after a while. Thus your BEN wont change
2. You will allready be saving gas mileage with the leaner OLFA table
3. PE will kick in right away and switch over to the RICHER tables thus givng you the mixture you want. The PCM will still interpolate between these tables even though they are set different.
4. everyone is happy and no one comlains about thier bens benig out after a commanded AFR change
5. No interpolating from the PCM 1.0 across the board will make the computer's job easier. A test i recently did went from .98 at cruise up to 70 kpa and then 1.13 from 75 to 105. The computer makes a nice little ramp between from 75-80 kpa usually 13.7-13.5 before it hits 13.0 (80+ kpa).

Hope this helps...I don't think you have "BEN Factors with HP Tuners ..but you can manually scan and adjust.

Last edited by Bink; 09-03-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info Bink. I may have to give this a shot!

Last edited by 02ZOh6; 09-04-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is an interesting post. Especially the part how the 05 cts-v is done that way.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

also the 03 Silvy is done that way too
Old 09-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Do you have COT disabled?

My commanded AFR was lower than what I was expecting. I disabled the COT protection and it was immediately what I was expecting and I was able to get it right using the VE table.

John.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah disable COT.
Thanks for the great advice HumpinSS!
Old 09-04-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the feedback. My cot isn't disabled at present. I didn't know what it was for so I didn't touch it. What is cot and what are the consequenses of disabling it? I have hi-flo cats on the car.
Also with regard to Humpins' technique. Am I going to have any fueling or driveability problems setting my whole OLFA vs. ECT vs. MAP table to 1 and leaving it that way? Would I be giving up anything that may affect the longevity of the car? I live in Canada and drive the car in weather ranging from mid 90's to high 40's. The car obviously always reaches operating temp. even when it gets closer to winter but it takes a little longer.
Thanks again for helping me out, I'm picking up a lot of good info here.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Straight from HPTuners help:

Catalytic Converter Protection (COT)
The VCM contains mechanisms to estimate the catalytic converter temperature and provide additional fuel enrichment to decrease exhaust oxygen content if over temperature conditions are detected.
  • Enabled: Master enable/disable for this feature
  • Enable ECT:
  • Max Enrichment: Maximum allowed enrichment due to COT protection. This value is a Fuel/Air multiplier on current commanded AFR. Eg. current AFR is 13.0 and Max Enrichment is 1.1 then the resulting AFR is 13.0/1.1 or 11.81
  • Min Enrichment: Minimum allowed enrichment due to COT protection.
  • Thresholds vs. Altitude Range: If these thresholds are exceeded the VCM will enable the CAT Protection Feature and provide additional enrichment.
  • Enrichment Rate vs. Temp Delta: Rate at which fuel is added during COT operation up to Max Enrichment.
The 3rd line down sounds like you
Old 09-04-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Basically then when I disable it, my cats aren't protected. I'm nervous I might end up with a set of home made ricer glo lights under my car if I turn it off.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:46 PM
FormerVendor

When i didnt have headers i ran my car at 13.0 alll day long at the track with cats. Just dont get on a 5 miles straight away and do 200 for the whole 5 miles and you will be ok