PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long should I wait for the car to adjust to headers before dyno-tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long should I wait for the car to adjust to headers before dyno-tuning?

I'll be going from the factory Z28 exhaust to Kooks longtube headers, Kooks y-pipe with their new higher flowing cats, and SLP dual-duals. I want to get a dyno with air/fuel ratio monitoring done soon afterwards and then a full dyno-tune soon after that. Do I have to drive several hundred miles first before the PCM can adjust to the new exhaust system so that I can get good numbers (if any) at the dyno and then get the car dyno-tuned effectively? Would it be okay to run the car on the dragstrip right after the exhaust install before any dyno-tuning? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WOT dyno #'s are not based on any changing things in your car...they are a direct multiplier of VE...MEaning LTFT's dont matter at WOT
If your VE table reads 85 and your PE multiplier is 1.250 then it equates to your final VE being 106.25

If VE is commanding 14.62 then PE multiplier will equate to 11.696 if it is 1.250

however If you tune your VE using a wideband, and get your WOT PE Multiplier at 1.131(commanding 12.926) then your WOT will be correct....and you will get a true Max Power on the dyno(not excluding the fact that all dynos read different and taking into account loaded or non-loaded dyno....)
Old 09-10-2005, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes you will be fine to run at the drags, you should be on the rich side, when you go to dyno make sure the car is plenty warm and get a couple good rips,we will see sometimes 5-10 hp between 1st and 3rd pulls with no changes