PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Move 02 bung up from LT collector.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Move 02 bung up from LT collector.

My LT headers have the forward 02 sensors mounted at the collector which is about 24 inches ??? down from the exhaust port on the head.

When I first installed the headers before any Edit tune, the car ran rich. I assume this is due, in part, to the fact that the exhaust gases at the LT collector are less hot compared to the gases at the stock header 02 bung location.

Has anyone experimented with 02 bung placement? If you welded a bung higher on a single LT tube (say 10 inches down) would the PCM think it was in the stock location. If yes, this might be a way to avoid having to tune for LT headers and other minor bolt-ons; right?

Obviously, this would only measure gases in one tube, but the trade-off would be the cost of a tune; right? I suppose the tube would be somewhat restricted from the o2 tip also.....
Old 09-12-2005, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

i wouldnt do it just because I wouldnt want to damage my nice SS QTP headers
Old 09-13-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

...anyone else think about this issue? I wonder why header manufacturors don;t do this?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

another reason it prolly isnt done is because you wont be able to pick up any issues with other cylinders since you are only sampling 1. What happens if you drop and injector or some sort. The o2 being in the collector will read LEAN as opposed to reading a good working cylinder while the whole engine eats itself to death around the one good working cylinder....
Old 09-13-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok - I thought of this too - but woudn't you know if an injector went bad without having to rely on that dumb SES idiot light? ..they tend to be annoying at times right? ...especially at emmissions testing time....
Old 09-13-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it got bad enough, youd probably feel a miss, but A properly working o2 sensor and ECU could potentially detect it before you could even feel it