PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cranking ve, do you guys change this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cranking ve, do you guys change this?

i havent messed with this yet and never really thought about it. does this effect only the cranking time and then it goes to the regular ve? i have 230/232 cam, just wondering if i need to decrease this table and if so by how much
Old 11-10-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also like to know.

Bill
Old 11-10-2005, 08:06 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be interesting to see how cranking VE compares to the normal VE table from the factory and take that difference % and use it with the corrected VE.
Phil
Old 11-10-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just play with it and see if it makes any difference?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had hot start problems ...if it stalled (after warm up 80*C) I had to wait awhile before it would restart. I could get it to fire only if I increased the throttle - it wouldn't fire with my foot off the acc pedal. Too much fuel or not enough air?
I tried a couple of things that didn't seem to help.
My VE at idle (1200 RPM @ 70 kPa) is about 52% (35.5/67.2) of stock. I reduced my cranking VE by about 40% from stock and it's been fine since.

I guess it was too much fuel.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok bink, here is my deal.

i have warm starts (and well seems the car was cold today on start up when this happened). i took out all start up enrich. start the car up and it acts like it is missing now. the idle airflow is off but not a whole lot, maybe 0.77 g/sec tops. it almost sounds like its running way too rich (but for all i know it may not be lol). it ran shitty before but kinda worse now since i took the fuel out. on warm start ups the cars idle air trims go way + compaired to what it does when its at a warm idle and been running a while. it will do this for a good min or so, or until i drive the car. seem to be ok once it gets out of FTC 20,21,22.

today when i started, the coolant temp had to be around 90-100*F maybe, maybe cooler, and it stalled on start up. it never did this before when i had start up enrichment in there. doesnt make much sense to me. all i know is it runs like total *** on a warm start, otherwise no problems. im going to try to mess with the cranking VE and scale it compaired to stock as mentioned. hope that will clear some up. how long is cranking VE used? any other idea on what to look at please let me know, i wanna fix this and keep on going in circles, its not like its a difficult cam to tune, its a damn f13 and afr heads. i know on hot starts in closed loop the fueling is kinda shitty, my trims will go to +10 to +16, that kills that, but these warms starts are closed loop, and 0ed out fuel trims...
Old 11-13-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

so my car just wont run without startup enrichment. when you guys take out startup enrichment do you decrease the friction airflow? if i try to start up my car with the cranking ve and enrichment changed it wont start up. put enrichment back with the cranking ve lowered and all was good. the car still seems a little crazy so i went back to the stock enrichment to see if that helped. im thinking the friction airflow is mismatches and there isnt enough fuel to go in for the air it wants.

if anyone can comment on friction airflow changes, if oyu have put startup enrich to 0 let me knwo please.

Quick Reply: cranking ve, do you guys change this?