Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me ! SD or MAF tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Please help me ! SD or MAF tune

I'm in the middle of my build it is a Lq9 with MS3,799 ported heads with 2.055 and 1.600 valves. It going to have factory internals for now. On to a ported Weiand intake an bored to 90 TB. 42lbs injectors ,walbro 340, and most bolt ons. Them i going to hit it with like 175 shoot of nos.

Now big question is i know it need more air to breath. In my case you think i can use SD tune to delete the MAF restriction ?
How hard is to make a SD tune compared to MAF tune?
This is first time i asked something here in the tuning section. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the Maf.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:46 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

depens on who tunes the car. im SD and love it. with your setup you would be fine w/ a maf tho
Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

MAF isn't going to hurt you, but your setup would run great on a speed density tune as well...I wouldn't really eliminate a MAF to remove restriction though, I'd eliminate it in like...a show car with an engine swap where it looks out of place or just plain doesn't fit or something.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO i think that the sd tune would be the way to go. It seems that more power can be reached with a sd tune. But if you want to retain the MAF tune, those work efficient as well and people have been tuning that way forever.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Keep the Maf.
I know it going to be maximized with MAF .

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
MAF isn't going to hurt you, but your setup would run great on a speed density tune as well...I wouldn't really eliminate a MAF to remove restriction though, I'd eliminate it in like...a show car with an engine swap where it looks out of place or just plain doesn't fit or something.
Why you think my set up can run great with SD?

Originally Posted by 99_LS1_WS6
IMO i think that the sd tune would be the way to go. It seems that more power can be reached with a sd tune. But if you want to retain the MAF tune, those work efficient as well and people have been tuning that way forever.
Why you think that?

Now my factory MAF completely ported can flow the air to go close to 575-600 RWHP with NOS?
Buy a 100mm TSP MAF worth the investment for my set up? or SD is better to use the money of the MAF in other stuff?
Down the road i going to go twin turbo but that is in like 2 more years.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 AM
10 Second Club

At this point and time, if your car is tuned properly, ie both the ve and maf tables, you will have the best of both worlds. No reason to do without the maf unless you just want to. It is entirely your choice. You will be fine either way.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

If you need an to get an emission sticker stick with the MAF. If not you can go SD. It won't make much of a difference either way though.

Personally, I prefer SD because I "feel" like I can get snappier throttle response with an SD tune. As far as peak HP though the MAF normally isn't a restriction.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastsspr
Why you think my set up can run great with SD?
Because I don't think your setup has anything specific about it that would make it run poorly with a MAF or with SD.

If you're really concerned about the MAF being a restriction, but need to pass a plug in OBD2 inspection, buy a larger C5 ZO6 MAF sensor, and have the car tuned with it installed.

If you're really concerned about the MAF being a restriction (which a big one won't be) and don't need to pass a plug in OBD2 inspection, take it out, hide the wiring in the harness, and get a speed density tune done by someone who knows what they're doing...if they don't have a solid reputation in speed density tuning, go somewhere else.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Mike454SS. The z06 c5 maf is 85mm? Is the same that slp maf ?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fastsspr
How hard is to make a SD tune compared to MAF tune?
With MAF you tune the car first by disabling the MAF and trims and adjusting the VE table. After doing so you then adjust the MAF table with the MAF enabled.

SD tune just removes the last step above so it's one less thing to do.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ysb02
With MAF you tune the car first by disabling the MAF and trims and adjusting the VE table. After doing so you then adjust the MAF table with the MAF enabled.

SD tune just removes the last step above so it's one less thing to do.
That's not entirely true...usually when you commit to running totally speed density, the tune requires a good deal more attention to detail in the VE table and in a few other areas than would have been necessary if you were going to tune the MAF as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

I run a C5 85mm MAF with a factory MAF curve, a linear injector slope, and I didn't touch the VE because it's a MAF-only tune. Took me roughly an hour of tuning time to dial in the AFRs and to be confident in this setup. Still have some tweaks to make to the small pulse injector table...but, that's only affecting off-throttle, non-DFCO conditions....and it's usually only off by a point in the right direction.

IMO - as long as you start off with the right settings for the components you have (MAF, injector offsets, etc.), it should be a walk in the park. No need to spend hours on end reworking the VE table and then having to rework the MAF table too.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
That's not entirely true...usually when you commit to running totally speed density, the tune requires a good deal more attention to detail in the VE table and in a few other areas than would have been necessary if you were going to tune the MAF as well.
Well some people may cut corners and not change the VE table as much as they should in a MAF tune but it's just cutting corners. I've been running sd open loop for awhile to make sure my VE is right on the money before doing the MAF. I plan on tossing the MAF once I boot the car. One less thing to worry about.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both and SD tune and a MAF tune for my car. I run a 100mm PowerMax MAF and the car simply runs better with the MAF engaged. I think the simlpe answer is run whatever tune makes your car run better. For me it's with the MAF>
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Another vote for MAF....harder to tune but once you nail it everything seems smoother
Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I would keep the MAF, but I would particularly work on the low-end (RPM) range of the VE table. My experience is that cams with a lot of overlap will drive much better and respond better when the VE is dialed in properly. The devil is in the details.

Quick Reply: Please help me ! SD or MAF tune