PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have relocated battery....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For those who have relocated battery....

1)where did you mount the exterior cutoff switch?

2)where did you get the vented/sealed box?

3)how many feet did you need from the eng to the spare well?

4)where did you get your kit from?

IM SURE ALOT OF PPL COULD USE THE INFO

TIA

Jerry
Old 03-04-2002, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: For those who have relocated battery....

The battery must be in a sealed metal or plastic box. Moroso (PN74050) has the only plastic sealed box approved by NHRA. I didn't mount mine in a box (yet). I've got a sealed battery (Reactor). If I can get through tech locally w/o a box, I probably won't bother w/ it.
I used a Flaming River 'Combo-Kill' switch for my cut-off. I wired it to open the circuit to the alternator thus killing the output. So when you hit it it cuts all power to the car.
I used about 16' of really high quality 0/1 cable to the front of the car from the spare well. I ran the cable inside the car and then through the grommet under the PCM to the front of the passenger side tire well. I also recabled the alternator and underhood electrical center to this location with 1ga. and there is better voltage and current through the whole system now.
I do have a cranking problem, but I believe it's related a weak ground and will be working on that when the weather gets warm again.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't say for sure, but I don't know if the box has to be "sealed" if you have a GEL type battery that has no fumes or openings.

Plan on minimum 12 feet of cable to reach the front of the car. Of course, you can ground in the back. I used 4 gauge cable more than a year ago and have had zero issues.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

NHRA requires a sealed box regardless of battery type. I don't have a box at all, but do have a sealed AGM type battery.