PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone heard of Power Reduction on a late model C5 Corvette?

Old 05-21-2002, 09:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Anyone heard of Power Reduction on a late model C5 Corvette?

(I'm not talking about Torque Management or TCS here.)

Someone was explaining to me that on a later model Corvette that the throttle control is ?electrical? and there is a check by the computer to test that the throttle position coincides with the Air Flow monitored coming thru the MAF. He thinks this is killing his power with a supercharger he has installed because it senses air flow (thru the MAF) outside the normal parameters, and the computer cuts back the power.

Has anyone heard of this and if it is true, can LS1-Edit defeat this?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:21 PM
JAS
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone heard of Power Reduction on a late model C5 Corvette?

I don't know about the vette's but the new TB/Bravada's/Envoy's use a drive by wire system like the vette. It has a power reduction mode incase one of the pedal sensors was to fail. I don't know why there would be a reduction mode based on MAF & Throttle position on the vette however. Are you saying GM added this check to limit possible power addition? How would this work in case of a partial (within parameter) MAF failure showing higher flow rates for throttle position?
Old 05-22-2002, 03:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Anyone heard of Power Reduction on a late model C5 Corvette?

The purpose would not be to thwart adding performance parts... just attempting to check acceptable ranges of conditions.

Of course, since adding a supercharger would not be taken into account, the mismatch of ratio of MAF airflow to throttle position would make the computer take steps to reduce power because it thinks something is wrong and wants to minimize the chance of damaging the motor because of the things it thinks may be wrong.

That's what was explained to me, if I remember correctly.

Search this Thread