PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do any of the stock gauges run without the VCM/whole computer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:16 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default do any of the stock gauges run without the VCM/whole computer?

just wondering if i can still use all the gauges (factory), radio and heat with out the computer/VCM in the car.

thanks,

Tyler
Old 02-02-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure about heat/radio, but most of the gauges will not work w/out the PCM....

That's why AFtermarket solutions like Big Stuff 3 have gotten popular... BS3 provides provisions to interface w/your stock gauges.

But... I think only the oil pressure gauge will work w/out hte stock PCM or an aftermarket computer capable of controlling the gauges.

The Radio will likely work as I don't think the PCM has nything to do with it... but I'm not sure about heat/AC
Old 02-02-2006, 01:20 PM
7 Second Club

what about the fuel gauge?

are you positive about oil pressure?

Originally Posted by horist
not sure about heat/radio, but most of the gauges will not work w/out the PCM....

That's why AFtermarket solutions like Big Stuff 3 have gotten popular... BS3 provides provisions to interface w/your stock gauges.

But... I think only the oil pressure gauge will work w/out hte stock PCM or an aftermarket computer capable of controlling the gauges.

The Radio will likely work as I don't think the PCM has nything to do with it... but I'm not sure about heat/AC
Old 02-02-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

fuel gauge wouldn't work since the info goes to the PCM then to the Gauge Cluster

I'm not 100% positive on oil pressure... however I know on F-Bodies the feed for oil pressure doesn't go to the PCM, it's a direct feed from the sensor to the the gauge cluster (Y-Body's have the feed going to the PCM, hence why you can't log Oil pressure on F-Body's)

However since I have never tested the above personally (checking oil pressure w/out a PCM) I can't be 100% certain
Old 02-02-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

1 possibility is to run an aftermarket controller and the stock PCM... that's how some run Megasquirt and stock PCM in tandem
Old 03-16-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

What provisions did BS3 come out with to work the stock guages?
I have only gottent he volt, gas level, oil press, and water temp to work since changing to the BS3. Anyone know how to get the tach/ obdometer and speedo to work let me know. The car is an auto trans.