Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help me get rid of this detonation noise, cant seem to solve it

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please help me get rid of this detonation noise, cant seem to solve it

ok i had a noise goin on im my car which i belive to be detonation i had it scaned with hp tuners and in fact i had some KR. so i cleaned the maf and it went almost completely away.

so figureing the car is new to me ive owned for about 2 months, lemme give it a tune up sense i dunno when it had one last. i did seafoam treatment,NGK tr55's gapped .055,msd wires,fuel filter, pcv valve, and RP 10w30 for oil change, but after my tune up this noise that disapeared came back full force. my previous plugs were denso iridiums, and they all had a light brown colored seemed just right.

so i cant figure out what the hell is goin on. i get ping/clanging noise down low below 1500rpms when i tap the gas and detonation ping noise above 4500 WOT. im am gettin down to my last nerve with this **** please someone gimme an idea what else could i check to get rid of detnation why could it be happening.

Heres a previous thread from before on this problem:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/445950-ping-stock-tune.html
Old 02-06-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Increase the octane a few points to verify that it is actually spark-knock or detonation as you think.

Also, if you want to eliminate the MAF as the cause of the problem, then just unplug it and run in SD mode. If the problem is still there then forget about the MAF cleaning.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

well i always run 93 octane, and the car will run if u just unplug the maf??
Old 02-06-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
well i always run 93 octane, and the car will run if u just unplug the maf??
Most 92/93 octane pump gas acheives those ratings by using at least 10% ethanol. In the end this can change the required AFR or sensitivity to knock depending on a few factors like engine/air temp.

Try increasing octane by a few points. It's the best way to verify real knock.

Yes, depending on how far off the tune is, some cars can run better just unhooking the MAF. In some cases it might require resetting the LTFT's. This should be a pretty simple test to eliminate the MAF as the problem.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

hmm well how would i get higher octane gas to run as a test, and the car is on a stock tune
Old 02-06-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

oh yeah i forgot all of the plugs were brown except one the rear one on the drivers side looked a little wet/black what could that be
Old 02-06-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
hmm well how would i get higher octane gas to run as a test, and the car is on a stock tune
You're not very creative are you?
With a fairly low tank, try octane booster, denatured alcohol, or some race gas of about 100 octane.

Your rear cylinder is oiling. It comes in by 3 ways, past the valve stems, past the rings, or PCV.
If the engine passes a compression & leakdown test with that cylinder looking good, then I'd think it's a valve guide/seal problem.

A ring problem will show up as increased blow-by. Check how much blow-by you are getting. You could put a clear fuel filter on your PCV line to get an idea how much oil is coming through the line.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

well i have tried octane booster once it didnt make a diffrence at all i never heard of runnin alcohol in my car like that we use tat stuff at work to clean with lol, and i dont know where to get 100 octance gas, besides the track witch is closed still
Old 02-06-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

also how would i fix the rings, or valve stems/parts if they are leaking without rebuilding the motor or redoing the heads, i guess no way right, so im SOL if thats what it is someone told me to run high milage oil to help with the oil gettin one time, said it would make seals swell oh yeah if it was pcv lettin oil in wouldnt it be all cylinders not just a rear one or no

Last edited by rgaynor85; 02-06-2006 at 12:23 PM.