Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

raf tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raf tuning

ok, so I'm wondering if I'm doing this right. last night I messed with the set screw on my throttle body to get my IAC counts to 50, give or take a couple, at warm idle for my new TSP 228r cam. the tuning document said to go for 40-60 so I figured I'd split it. so I next went for the base running airflow table and logged ETC, STIT, and both LTIT parameters to use Marcin's spreadsheet. my LTIT parameter (technically the only one in use since I have an M6) read -.040 during the entire warmup process and idle at running temperature, which I thought was odd. it also didn't want to idle at 930 where I had it set, but more like 1030. I went ahead and used the spreadsheet anyway and it created a new table pulling some air out of a couple cells, as I expected it would. I proceeded to start the car and after some feathering of the throttle it found its idle and I did some more logging. my LTIT still sat at -.040 and my idle was still about 100 higher than commanded. my IAC, however, jumped to 74 or so, apparently compensating for the lower raf values. my question is is this supposed to happen? it doesn't seem right with the static LTIT value and the IAC jumping up after the table edit. am I following the steps to get the table right correctly? oh I also might add that my passenger side seems to be dumping fuel since my LTFT on that side is running 25% for what reason I do not know... any thoughts or suggestions from anyone? thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't work on the idle at all until you resolve that 25% fuel trim issue.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Launching!

yeah looking forward to that...replacing the bosch 13111 i bought 9 months ago

wouldn't know what to do if I could go a month without something breaking on this damn thing....

does everything else sound right though? is the IAC supposed to move when the RAF is adjusted? it would almost make sense if it does, but if so, what is the point of using the set screw to adjust the blade in the first place?

I don't see how RAF will ever get nailed down if the IAC keeps moving off the 50-count target...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Launching!

also is there anything else that can cause a fuel dump like that besides a faulty sensor?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Launching!

and yet another reply to my own post....

does anyone the relationship between SD mode and the RAF table as in:

1) can the RAF table be tuned while in OLSD?
I'm about ready to say f*ck the o2's and this fuel trim problem for awhile and just run in SD mode...can I get a working raf table in that mode?

2) is the RAF table used in OLSD?
basically, if I get a working RAF table, will it do me any good running in this mode?

any answers will be greatly appreciated.........
Old 05-11-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to say yes on both counts.
I prefer not to have the fuel learning routine working when trying to sort something out.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are other possible causes for the high ltfts. I'd check for intake leaks to start.

btw, do you go to ksu??
Old 05-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by luv2spd
There are other possible causes for the high ltfts. I'd check for intake leaks to start.

btw, do you go to ksu??
That could be.. only thing is I haven't had my intake off for awhile so I don't see why it would just start leaking now. But that wouldn't explain one fuel trim acting basically normal (well, not that +8% is normal, but it's probably decent for dropping in a cam on stock tune) while the other is dumping 25% plus whatever the short trim feels like dumping in at the time. I did think the manifold pressure was pretty high for idle (around 50kpa) when it used to run 20-25 on the stock cam.

Yes, I did go to KSU but graduated last December.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by white2001s10
I'm going to say yes on both counts.
I prefer not to have the fuel learning routine working when trying to sort something out.
Good deal, I'll try screwing with it in open loop tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Are you running the stock Maf or aftermarket? I triied a 2004 zo6 maf and SLP and both would not let my car go into open loop and my stf's would bounce back and forth to 25%, put the stock 74mm maf back in a worked perfect.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

When starting tuning you are MUCH better off in open loop speed density. O2 and MAF will just mess things up. Start at the begining and work through. Enable MAF and O2 once the rest is sorted out. You will want to get your idle area VE sorted out in OL SD mode as every cold start will put you there anyway. O2 feedback doesnt come into it until ECT gets to 50*C.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fotoboy
Are you running the stock Maf or aftermarket? I triied a 2004 zo6 maf and SLP and both would not let my car go into open loop and my stf's would bounce back and forth to 25%, put the stock 74mm maf back in a worked perfect.
I have a stock MAF which I just planned on unplugging to get to SD. i've got an 85mm for sale unofficially if anyone wants it; I never put it on because of the upper MAF frequency for the 98 PCM,s being too low.
I am all but ruling out a MAF problem at this point since the fuel trim problem is not symmetrical...the 25% problem exists in only bank 2. bank 1 is fine.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ringram
When starting tuning you are MUCH better off in open loop speed density. O2 and MAF will just mess things up. Start at the begining and work through. Enable MAF and O2 once the rest is sorted out. You will want to get your idle area VE sorted out in OL SD mode as every cold start will put you there anyway. O2 feedback doesnt come into it until ECT gets to 50*C.
I guess I didn't realize that the RAF could be tuned in OLSD...I guess it only makes sense to tune it without fuel adders being present somewhat like you would tune for VE.

Quick Reply: raf tuning