PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm driving a 01 SS question is do I require a tune after installing headers ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm driving a 01 SS question is do I require a tune after installing headers ?

I've installed a set of slp longtubes --3:73 gears and 3000 stall torque is tuning required to get the best bang from the header install ?
Old 05-28-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jalbert
is tuning required
No

Save it for further modifications or when you need to get your codes deleted for inspection.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as long as your speedo & such was corrected for the gears your ok...you'll throw a ses & probably be rich at wot with headers but it wont/shouldnt hurt anything.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Mat
Launching!

Yep, won't hurt anything NOT to tune it, but you'll be leaving some power on the table. Headers tend to make your car thinks it's a bit lean so it dumps some extra fuel for good measure. Also your O2's are moved further back and get a little colder mixture on them which can affect readings and made the idle area of your LTFT's pretty sloppy and rich.

I say if you can tune yourself, tune it. If you don't have software and have other mods planned in the near future (like 3 months) don't tune it but don't expect wicked numbers. If you aren't planning any other mods until next year or something, tune it. Might as well get the most out of what you've got for this year.

If you've got a buddy with HP Tuners or a scanner get him to run the car on it and see what your LTFT's are like.