Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help, On Power Tour...0300, 0151

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, On Power Tour...0300, 0151

I have been having an issue that is getting worse. On my way from Ohio to Viginia for the Power Tour, I got a SES light. I scanned (thank gawd I brought the scanner) and got a P0151 code. I had the same code last week, but replaced the bank 2 sensor 1 with a new one and cleared the code. It didn't come back and the car ran great.

As I continued down the road, I started noticing the car running rough at cruise under light load, that has been progressively getting worse, the car bucks like a mule. By the time I got here in Harrisburg, Pa, the car is running terribly. Mileage has dropped from 26 to 21.5. I now get a P0300 misfire code in addition to P0151.

Here's the freeze frame...(that I can remember)

Short Term Fuel Tri Bank 2 57% (I've never seen it this high),
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 24%
1600 RPM
70 MPH
1.67 lbs/min Air Flow
16% throttle
Closed Loop

I searched the forums and didn't get anywhere, any help would be greatly appreciated. As I mentioned, I am on the Power Tour and a long way from home or my shop.

Thanks in advance.....
Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

p0300 is a missfire code...check your plugs/wires.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/dtcs/DTC%20P0151.htm
Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

damn thats a nice link. didn't know they put that stuff on the net. i bought my damn service manual for my car..... god i love the net
Old 06-09-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Second Club

Check plugs and wires and look for an exhaust leak on the passenger side header.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:31 AM
Launching!

ScottSS, let us know what you find. My car is doing about the same thing as yours.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds to me like the Bank 2 sensor took a $h!t on you again. Did you have a Bosch sensor in there? I swear I see more trouble and swing with those sensors. Either way, if the sensor started reading low, the PCM started compensating by adding fuel. So now you motor is running really rich on the right side possibly causing the misfires. If your tune was running with the MAF and your fuel trims were slightly negative prior to these issues, force the car into open loop (up closed loop enable temps to 256) and it should get you through the tour. (I'm hoping you mean you brought HPT or EFILive when you say you brought the scanner)
Old 06-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Still having the trouble, but it isn't getting worse. I have an AutoXray, which doesn't allow me to do much more than scan/monitor/freeze frame. I know I have a header leak somewhere, I can hear it. I looked for arcing at night and didn't see any blue lights, although the plug wires are original.

I used Bosch sensors in both banks...after I limp it home (from ETown) I will switch the old O2's in (I save everything). I looked at the wiring as best I could without a lift or floor jack and didn't see anything obvious. Is it common to see issues with Bosch O2's?

The help is much appreciated, I have found a lot of threads on p0300, but no conclusive solutions. I will post as soon as I get this resolved.

Oddly, the light went out today on the way to the track. I haven't gotten back in to rescan it yet.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

If you still have rear 02's the bank2 upstream and the bank 1 downstream are the same part#. so you could switch them b/c downstream has no effect on drivability.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Update: Still chasing it. I pulled the plugs out of bank 2 and they show evidence of a very rich burn, on all 4 plugs, so I take it that there is not a true lean condition as indicated by the 0151. i figure it must be a problem with the sensor itself, or the wiring. I have swapped the old O2 sensor in, but I haven't driven the car since geting home from the power tour.

Next step, if the problem stays (I assume it will) is to pull the bank 2 sensor 1 harness out and look for a short.

I will keep the thread updated as I proceed. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScottSS
Update: Still chasing it. I pulled the plugs out of bank 2 and they show evidence of a very rich burn, on all 4 plugs, so I take it that there is not a true lean condition as indicated by the 0151. i figure it must be a problem with the sensor itself, or the wiring. I have swapped the old O2 sensor in, but I haven't driven the car since geting home from the power tour.

Next step, if the problem stays (I assume it will) is to pull the bank 2 sensor 1 harness out and look for a short.

I will keep the thread updated as I proceed. Thanks to everyone for the input.
It's either the sensor or a leak...
Old 06-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Launching!

I am in the same boat right now trying to figure out the same problem. Please report all findings and I will do the same.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Launching!

My car was doing exactly the same thing as ScottSS's car.....bucking badly under light cruising. When I went WOT, the car did fine. I ran HPTuner VCM scanner and found bank 2 sensor 1 to running at 1100 mv all the time. It may have dip down to 1000 mv like it was trying to oscillate like it should. So, after doing many many checks, I just decided to change both sensor 1 O2s. This took care of it. I may not needed to change out Bank 1 Sensor 1, but I thought if one is messed up, the other one would soon fail as well.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Problem solved!

After messing with my O2 sensor wires my O2 sensor code went away for a couple mins but came back on...

After lots of reading and searching and gathering as much info as possible. I retraced my steps to what started all this. At first I only had one code for...

p0151 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

...then I bought a new bosch O2 sensor to "fix" this problem. After replacing the bad O2 sensor with the bosch one I reset my computer and all was fine for a couple hours. The code came back on after a while and things got worse, my car started sputtering and missing bad. I had more codes for...

p0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P1153 - Bank 2 Fuel Control Shifted Lean

....plus my O2 sensor code now as well. I checked plugs and wires and everything else that would cause a random misire. Remembering that I read someone moved there post cat O2 sensors to the front of the cat , I had nothing to lose and tried it. I cleaned off my "bad" O2 sensor and stuck it after the cat...so basically I swapped O2 sensors. I reset the computer and turned the truck on and drove it for almost an hour and no more codes. The bosch sensor was junk and caused more headaches then needed. I will be buying GM O2 sensors and replacing both primary O2 sensors next week.

BOSCH SUCKS!!! RETRY YOUR STOCK ONES.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 86MC_SS
BOSCH SUCKS!!! RETRY YOUR STOCK ONES.
I can't tell you how much I preach this. Hell, the last post I replied in I said the same thing. Thank you for further validating my point.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Wait - he said he had (heard) a header leak. That will definitely tell the O2's it's lean due to the air coming in so it will keep trying to richen the mixture on that side. Did this ever get fixed?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Teching In

My issue was the sensor as well. I finally drove the car with the old 02 sensor. It runs fine now. Thanks so much for all the help. I had three different new Bosch sensors in this thing, and all three were bad. I won't be buying that stuff anymore. Hello Denso.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Teching In

My A.I.R. block off was leaking a bit, but I fixed it before I swapped sensors with no change in how the car ran....
Old 09-08-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Glad to hear you found the problem.