PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How mad will a MAF code throw off a car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How mad will a MAF code throw off a car?

Took my car to the track last nite for the first time. The car has headers, TD's on it, untuned and not touched. I figured the SES light was on because of egr, and the O2's, well it was but the car was also throwin a low circuit MAF code. Took it down the local 1/8 track last and it ran an 8.9. 4100,DA. What Im really wondering is how bad that code affected the time? How exactly does the car react to a MAF code? TIA guys
Old 09-01-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that MAF code will put you into speed density... if your car's not tuned for speed density it will run like complete ****..... get it fixed (if you recently reoiled your K&N then could be oil on the MAF... you can use a q-tip and electrical cleaner to GENTLY clean the wires)
Old 09-01-2006, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

A MAF system regulated vehicle will respond DRAMATICALLY badly to a faulty MAF sensor, after all this is one of the biggest players in your A/F ration. Stands to reason.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Not only that, but it can also throw you in the low octane timing table which can easily knock off a good deal of hp.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Launching!

OK, I wasnt sure how bad that code would affect the car, I just wanted to make sure i didnt buy a lemon! I figured a MAF could would **** with the a/f real bad, and cause the car to run terribley but just wanted to know first hand. Can I look forward to better track times?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Launching!

I am also having the same problem the low circuit maf code but I dont think my car has ever had the maf working properly, when I'm reading real time data on my EFI live scan tool the maf stays at a steady 0.31 and never moves so I'm guessing the maf is done? I remeber cleaning it once but I havent for quite some time now, I will try cleaning it tomoro and see if that makes a difference.