Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N20 Tuning and grounding out the IAT question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
Yes; it should work quite well for this, but it would act like a wet kit (ie low bottle pressure would result in richer fueling) as far as bottle pressure goes. Also you would have to begin by flashing your car with an 01/02 OS to get the PE modifier vs IAT.
Running a dry SD hit without a lot of BS has been the biggest factor in choosing the software I buy. This would pretty much seal the deal considering it will do almost exactly what the EFILive COS5 does.

Keep us updated! This sounds awesome!
Old 08-25-2007, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It works well, had proof of concept done today.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to (when nitrous is armed) "replace" the IAT with a fixed resistor that forces the IAT into thinking it's as low as it can go. As far as I can see, outside of startup, the IAT at WOT only is examined in 1 table. That table exists solely to pull timing if very high IATs are reached; most of the table is 0. The table adds to your current spark map. Once the resisitor is brought in, we are locked on the far left of the table (IATs of 14degF, single coulmn) where you wouldn't normally end up (maybe if you live in Antarctica) and in these 3-4 cells (80ish kpa and up) you set the retard you want to have active while the nitrous is armed and it is subtracted from your ideal N/A timing table.

Keep your peak N/A tune and automatically pull timing just for nitrous without something that is intercepting the CPS and delaying it... and also costing a bunch of money.
I have been using a circuit close to what your talking about with a wet shot for a few years now. when I arm the nitrous, I have a relay electrically replace the IAT sensor with a Potentiometer instead. The way I set it up is when the nitrous is armed ,I first set up the potentiometer to make the car think it's 140 deg outside, this will automatically pull a few deg of timing, then I went a little further and went into the IAT vs timing tables in my tuning software and typed in how much timing a wanted to pull. in my case I typed in -6deg to get the timing that I needed. Here is a diagram of the schematic I used and the tables in EFI live that I edited. The tables I edited all say -6 deg.
BTW, I believe the guys that tune for dry shots use a different method and also now you can use a custom nitrous operating system with EFI live to do the same thing now.

[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by SmaknaSS; 08-25-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

I'm using the resistor to put it to the bottom of the table though, when you move it upwards (remember fueling is based on an IAT/ECT bias table) you affect fueling, leaning out somewhat... that's why I push it low (bottom scale) rather than raise it to what could be a real area. Also doing it like this, you don't EFIL, you can use any tuning suite to make it work.

The item I've put together is a nice unit, GM-spec'd metri-pack connectors to keep you from having to cut up your factory harness and has an LED on the output side so that if the unit fails, it's indicator will not light up, and the input side (+12v feed from the nitrous arming ckt) is fused for protection

Also, you must have a late model car, the pre 01 models are referenced against MAP rather than dynamic air.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm using the resistor to put it to the bottom of the table though, when you move it upwards (remember fueling is based on an IAT/ECT bias table) you affect fueling, leaning out somewhat...
Are you talking about this table?
I don't dought you and I'm sure you know more than I do but I have never noticed an IAT effect on my fueling during PE. Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to learn.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Why Not Just Put The Iat sensor Right Infornt Of The N20 Bloom.. You Will Get Your 14 Deg Iat With No Resistir Needed..
Old 08-26-2007, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
Are you talking about this table?
I don't dought you and I'm sure you know more than I do but I have never noticed an IAT effect on my fueling during PE. Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to learn.
No, it effects fueling outside of PE actually (look for a bias table with IAT/ECT), it drives trims more negative if placed low and drives them positive if you use the high side of the table, but I don't know how far (it changes about 2-5% down low), I just wouldn't want it to allow positive trimming.

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
Why Not Just Put The Iat sensor Right Infornt Of The N20 Bloom.. You Will Get Your 14 Deg Iat With No Resistir Needed..
The IAT by itself is slow and the nitrous will come on with high timing while waiting for the sensor to cool off.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea I Guess, I Know Im Gonna Spray My Dry Shot Into The Lid And Thru The Maf And Try To Use The 2 Sensors To Tune In A 175 Shot
Old 08-26-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, it effects fueling outside of PE actually (look for a bias table with IAT/ECT), it drives trims more negative if placed low and drives them positive if you use the high side of the table, but I don't know how far (it changes about 2-5% down low), I just wouldn't want it to allow positive trimming.
Thanks for the reply, I think I will just keep it the way it is since it does not seem to be affecting any fueling for me(I think because my PE vs IAT's were all at zero from the stock tune). I will recheck the fueling part again with a WB to make sure nothing else is effecting it and then afterward I may just use the PE vs IAT's table to make small changes to my nitrous tune .
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah that works, it's just one offset for all of PE though. The table I am actually referring to is Cylinder Charge Temperature Bias Vs. Airflow. Numbers closer to 1 put the bias more towards ECT rather than IAT, though I don't reccommend you touch this unless you REALLY know what you are doing. I have messed with it some on SD tunes but can't seem to get the desired effect so I generally leave it stock. It really contributes to the inability to get a SD tune PERFECT all around.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Any update on this?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:40 AM
FormerVendor

I am in the process of building 50 after doing some testing and having good results from a proto... at this point though I don't want to say a lot more, don't want to step on any toes around here.

Quick Reply: N20 Tuning and grounding out the IAT question