LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   PCM Diagnostics & Tuning (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/)
-   -   USB -> serial converter issue (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/649029-usb-serial-converter-issue.html)

SCTA 01-29-2007 03:39 AM

USB -> serial converter issue

My car is a 94 TA, I am having problems using a USB to serial converter. I am trying to use datamaster to log with and tunercat to tune with. Datamaster says that the link is fine but it will not connect to the PCM. Tunercat I have not tried yet. I have tried 4 different usb converters, (Belkin, Dytek, No-name 1 and 2). TTS says they have tried the Belkin with success, but that is all the support they were able to give me. The only one I have gotten to pass the ALDL_TEST program from TTS was no-name 2. I was able to tune fine on my old laptop but it had a serial port on it, my new one does not only USB. i have played with the timings on the port with no success. I was hoping someone has encountered this issue and knew how to fix it. Also would a PCMCIA express card work? If there's any other info I might be leaving on please ask, I need to get this working right away.

Thanks,
Bryce

RedWS6 00 01-29-2007 04:29 AM

I use one made by D-Link and had no problems with EFILive or HP Tuners, not tried others. Reflashed the PCM many times and not had one faliure yet (well now I said that, I bet I jinxed myself)

Try a loop back test, on your 9 way D, link pins 2-3 together. Go into Hyperterminal, choose the com port etc... and baud rate will do, perhaps 115K, then what you type in hyperterminal should get echoes back on your screen, everything you type will be double if you have local echo selected in the settings. But if you have tried so many Serial devices they cant all be duff.

Are you USB, or USB2? perhaps there is some compatability issue.

Is there somone that can check your PCM just incase its got locked or something? Can you try your old laptop with the standard serial port? I know lugging a PC to the computer but be a task in itself but may be worth ago to prove its not the USB to serial converters.

SCTA 01-29-2007 04:43 AM

I sold my old laptop before my new one got here. If I had known about this issue I would have kept the old one just for tuning. Just my luck. It is USB 2.0. The PCM is ok. I have tried it on multiply cars with the same results. I found out the brand for both no names is Prolific Technology.

koolaid_kid 01-29-2007 05:55 AM

Although there are many brands of converters, there are actually only 2-3 chipsets used in all the converters. It is possible that the chipset you are using is not compatible. Have you verified that the serial port assigned to the converter is the same that you are setting in your tuning/logging software? Just a thought.

moehorsepower 01-29-2007 08:50 AM

I had the same problem, used the Belkin, worked at times, fried a PCM, Tried another brand, did not work at all, I heard of Keyspan is suppose to be good, I just went back to my old laptop.......

jay_99z 01-29-2007 10:57 AM

Belkin didn't work for me. Keyspan has been great.

SCTA 01-29-2007 03:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll give the keyspan a try. jay_99z do you have a model number for your converter?

Thanks, Bryce

Matt D 01-29-2007 05:12 PM

I used Keyspan after having issues with the Belkin as well.

jay_99z 01-30-2007 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by SCTA
Thanks for the info. I'll give the keyspan a try. jay_99z do you have a model number for your converter?

Thanks, Bryce

USA-19HS